Running shielded tachometer wire through a connector

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

GZinga
MS/Extra Newbie

Running shielded tachometer wire through a connector

Post by GZinga »

Quick question, currently running ms2 on sbc 350 tbi. My wiring loom is running through a grommet in the firewall but I'm looking to clean it up with a 22 pin weatherpak connector.

Specifics aside, if I split the tach wire in the middle and install it into a connector with a plastic housing next to other wires, will I run into interference problems?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Running shielded tachometer wire through a connector

Post by billr »

It should be OK, but I would arrange the connector pins so that something tame (like a few shield or ground pins) are closest to the tachin signal pin.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

GZinga wrote:Quick question, currently running ms2 on sbc 350 tbi. My wiring loom is running through a grommet in the firewall but I'm looking to clean it up with a 22 pin weatherpak connector.

Specifics aside, if I split the tach wire in the middle and install it into a connector with a plastic housing next to other wires, will I run into interference problems?
Can I ask just how often you remove the loom? Adding an extra connector where not essential is never a good idea.

If a screen really is needed, such a connector needs to provide that screening too. So would have a metal body connected to it.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
GZinga
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GZinga »

DaveEFI wrote:
Can I ask just how often you remove the loom? Adding an extra connector where not essential is never a good idea.

If a screen really is needed, such a connector needs to provide that screening too. So would have a metal body connected to it.
The main reason is because this is on an old jeep. I live in KY and between the hot summers and cold winters the less holes I have in the firewall the better. The 22 weatherpak connector solves this problem and a few others. It also does make pulling the engine harness that much easier.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Use an extra pin for the shield. Keep those pins away from others that may create noise. That is your best bet.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jammy86 »

Paul_VR6 wrote:Use an extra pin for the shield. Keep those pins away from others that may create noise. That is your best bet.
Do this. Twisted screened pair, pass the screen through on a separate pin at the connector, ideally all of them away from the ignition and fuel injector pins, connect the screen to a 0V pin on the MS ONLY and job is a good'un.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

That's also how I did mine with the 22-position bulkhead and I have zero noise on my VR sensor input. I just ran all the noisy stuff on one half of the connector and the sensor stuff on the other side and left any spaces possible open between them.