MS2 6 Cylinder Wasted Spark Help

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS2 6 Cylinder Wasted Spark Help

Post by robd »

Hi All, I have a MS2 v3.0 that I'd previously configured to run an MX5 with a CAS and wasted spark. I'm now changing it to run my BMW e39 with the Hall crank sensor and 6 cylinder wasted spark. I'm trying to get my head around how I'd set my ecu up previously and what I need to change to get it to run the new 6 cylinder BMW.

I've got 6 separate BIP373 coil drivers that I'm going to mount to the case and I know I need 3 outputs with 2 drivers per output and I think I'm going to use a 330ohm resistor on each driver as well.

I previously set my ecu like this guide here and did the Joe Perez spark output mods so I was running my CAS/tacho from IGN and IAC2B.

I was reading the DIYAutotune guide on setting up my 6 coil drivers and looking at the megamanual at the Hall sensor setup.

So my questions are..

1. Do I need to change anything for the Hall sensor setup from what I've set up already for the Optical setup that ran the mx5?
2. Can you use the Joe Perez spark output mod and just add the same again to D15 to run my third spark output? I know I'd then need to change my fan relay mod as that currently uses D15. Or do I need to remove all of these bits and just set up the coil drivers as described in the DIYAutotune guide here?

Any help anyone can offer would be great as I'm getting myself royally confused right now!!!

Cheers
Rob

P.S. If it helps I also want to run the fan relay mod, PWM Idle Mod, Launch Control and Boost Control.

Edit: also just in case it helps there's more info on the Joe Perez mod here if the pics/info don't help on my first link.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 6 Cylinder Wasted Spark Help

Post by Matt Cramer »

The Miata input should also work with Hall effect sensors. I'd remove or bypass the Miata spark outputs, though, as you'll be using a different setup.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Thanks very much Matt, I think I'll remove the old spark output setup then for a fresh start.
So just to clarify, for the spark input, on the below pic, I'll be leaving everything in red, green and purple?

Are there any outputs that work better than others for certain tasks? Like does it matter what output I run boost control, launch control, fan control etc from, or is it just a case of using a supported output that's not in use and that's it?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks again. :)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd need to see both sides of your board.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Thanks Matt, I haven't got a pic but the other side of my board looks like this, just with the addition of launch control in the proto area too, running to Spare Port 3.

I started working on the MS last night to get it ready for the Bimmer. I've left the bits red, green and purple in that post above, so I hope that's ok for the Hall sensor/tacho?

I've added the 6 BIP373's and followed the guide on your website. So I just need to check on the above now and then work out what outputs I can use.

Cheers again
Rob :)

Sorry I forgot to ask as well, as I swapped Q7 for Q4 but now I need the 3 spark outputs, do I need to swap Q7 back in or can I leave Q4 as is in the Q7 spot?