MS2 v3 Outputs Help

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS2 v3 Outputs Help

Post by robd »

Hi All, this relates to my other topic here, however I thought I'd start a seperate topic just about the outputs.

I'm going to be running 6 cylinder wasted spark so using 3 spark outputs. I'd also like to run launch control, PWM idle valve, boost control, fan control and single vanos control. However I'm not sure if there's enough outputs for me to run all of these.

I did have launch control set up from JS11, so I've swapped this to JS4.

I was then planning on running boost control from JS11.

My spark outputs are IGN, IAC2B and IAC2A. I believe I'm also using IAC1A for tacho out.

I'm going to use FIDLE for the PWM bosch idle valve.

From what I can make out from here, that means I don't have any other programmable outputs that I could run the fan and vanos from, is that right? I assume I can't still use the LED's(D15) connected to IAC1B to run the fan as I'm now using D15 for my spark output?

If anyone can offer any help please would be great, as I'm struggling to see what I can use now for the fan control and vanos outputs!

Cheers
Rob
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 v3 Outputs Help

Post by dontz125 »

Let's back up a sec; you're mixing processor pins and spare DB37 pins and getting me confused.

Spark output A, B, C - D14, D16, D15 (each driving 2 BIP373)
Launch - JS4
Boost - JS11
PWM Idle - FIdle
Tach Out - either JS10 or JS5; I'd suggest JS10, in case you want to run a knock sensor in on JS5. OR you could just use diodes on the BIP outputs to create a square wave signal.

This leaves the IAC1 & IAC2 pins for your fan and vanos (assuming that's an on/off function). The PE1/PE0 inputs don't have much to do with what you're planning.

Now,if your complaint is that there aren't enough pins on the DB37 to get all your functions out of the box, that's a different matter. You may wind up drilling a hole in the endplate and running a cable through a grommet, or installing a DB15.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Thanks very much for the reply, sorry I was getting myself confused(and still am!!) let alone confusing anyone else! :)

I thought I was using IAC2B and IAC2A for the BIP's as per the guide here or am I misunderstanding it?

I think my tacho is going via JS10 then, as I have 5v through JS10 as per the guide in the link in my first post(in my other topic).

On the pins I wasn't complaining about how many there were, I was just trying to check what outputs I could use as I wasn't sure if I was missing any. Obviously I haven't got my head around the differences yet. Sorry if I'm going around in circles!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

robd wrote:I thought I was using IAC2B and IAC2A for the BIP's as per the guide here or am I misunderstanding it?
Those are the OUTPUT pins for the BIPs, where the coil drivers meet the outside world - and only two of them!. The processor pins driving the BIPs are as mentioned, D14, 16, and 15. Note that you need one output pin per BIP; IGN, IAC2A and IAC2B only accounts for 3 BIPs / 3 cyls. You need 3 more output pins!
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Thanks again for the reply. I'm running wasted spark, so two BIP's per output which is what it says on the DIYAutotune guide and I know others are running so I'm pretty sure that's right.

If there are still the IAC outputs left then that's great and I can run the fan control and vanos from there. So are you saying that IAC1A, IAC1B, IAC2A and IAC2B should still be free? If it helps this is how my board was originally configured.

Thanks again
Rob :)