MS2 Not Firing on all Cyinders

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS2 Not Firing on all Cyinders

Post by robd »

Hi All, I've put together my MS2 v3 ecu to run my '96 e39 528 with the M52B28 engine. I'm running a parallel install with the stock ecu, so I've spliced into all the wires except for the injectors and coils, which I've cut so Megasquirt can control them.

Everything appears to be working except I only appear to be running on 4 cylinders. It looks like cylinders 1&6 aren't firing and from what I can tell it seems to be the coils. Unfortunately I couldn't get the injector test in MS to work, but with the car running I tried to listen to the injectors firing via a long screwdriver and they seem to be ok, although there was a lot of noise through the intake making it hard to be 100% sure.

I've configured my coil outputs following the DIY autotune guide here, so I'm running 6 bips, mounted to the MS case, using 3 outputs to run two bips per output with a 330ohm resistor on each bips left leg. All 6 bips go to a common ground via a wire through the case to one of the chassis ground wires on the stock loom. I'm running wasted spark.

I've tried pulling the coils for 1&6 and injectors for 1&6 while the car is running and it makes no difference, however if I pull any of the others the car tries to stall.

I've checked all the connections between the DB37 and stock loom and they all look ok, so I'm thinking I must have done something wrong within the MS itself.

As per the guide I've jumpered IGBTOUT to IGN with a short piece of wire.
I've then ran a 330ohm resistor attached to the top of R26 on the writing PCB side, with a wire to IGBTIN on the writing side of the PCB.
I've then attached a 330ohm resistor to the first two bips' left legs, ran these to two wires, then into one wire which then goes to the top of R26 on the writing PCB side.
I've then got a wire on each of the two bips centre legs that merges into one wire and goes to IGN on the writing PCB side.
Then the right legs go to my shared ground as mentioned earlier.

I configured TS to run off D14 with Going High(Inverted) for my spark output settings.

Can anyone spot something I've missed or done wrong? Also would no spark on 1&6 cause the ecu to lose sync when the revs drop or could I have a problem with the crank sensor too?! Its synced for the majority of the time, its only when the engine stumbles and drops to just above 500rpm that it seems to lose sync for a second!

I've also tried swapping the firing order around for the coils but it made it worse and the car wouldn't even start!

Any help would be great.
Cheers
Rob :)
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 Not Firing on all Cyinders

Post by robd »

Update, got it running!! The issue was a bad solder on one of the bips(ooops), re-soldered them all to be sure and it now runs. Had to change the Ignition Input Capture from Rising Edge to Falling to keep the car running too as it kept losing sync and cutting out, but now it runs lovely. So so happy!!

I have a very big smile on my right face now, work can't finish fast enough so I can go back out and play!! lol