Bosch bip373 causing noise?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Bosch bip373 causing noise?

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi I parrallel installed a MS2 on a Kia rio 2016 and for some reason the MS is disrupting the stock ecus sensor signals, specially ect signal with the consequent problem of fans and AC not coming on and unstable DBW throttle.

With key on everything powered and MS plugged the signals are steady, only when the engine starts does the signal get noisy.

Has anyone experienced this? how to solve it?

Im about to install an external ignitor just to rule out this possibility
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Bosch bip373 causing noise?

Post by jasaircraft »

Or maybe should I try with higher resistance resitors on my bip373 circuits? instead of 330ohm something higher?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jasaircraft wrote:Or maybe should I try with higher resistance resitors on my bip373 circuits? instead of 330ohm something higher?
No, I wouldn't do that.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

ok,
Im setting my board up for an external ignitor at the moment, hope this helps with my problem
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Well if anyone out there ever has some strange erratic signals or has parallel installed a MS and looking at strange stock ecu signals causing fans not to come on, AC not working, erratic idle etc.
GET RID OF THE FU :arrow: :evil: BIP373s (in case you installed them exactly per manual) CAUSING HAVOC ON EVERYTHING!!!

with an external ignitor everything is now running fine
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

There's noything wrong with BIP373s. Just put them in a separate metal box away from the MS components.

I'd give the same advice for all high current transistors where this is possible, e.g. a separate peak and hold box and an externally mounted separate idle valve power transistor. This keeps the noisy components away from the crank and cam signals.

kind regards
Marek
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Marek wrote:There's noything wrong with BIP373s. Just put them in a separate metal box away from the MS components.

I'd give the same advice for all high current transistors where this is possible, e.g. a separate peak and hold box and an externally mounted separate idle valve power transistor. This keeps the noisy components away from the crank and cam signals.

kind regards
Marek
+1. I've seen lots of pro built MS groaning with BIPs inside and a nightmare to work on. Sighting the high current drivers in an external box close to the coils makes far more sense to me - as well as being less fiddly to make. And less chance of damage to the MS PCB in event of a short, etc.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi guys thanks for the advices, today I went ahead and installed my external ignitor in an easy swapp away style in order to go back to stock ecu only (as I did with the MS plug)
And the d*** AC didnt come on and signals where unsteady again, so I proceded to bang my head against my the wall and think of why on earth we come to life and remembered that in my test yesterday I had a battery clamp cable for the ignitors earth from its body to the negative terminal so I went ahead and tested that as I had nothing else in mind and that was the fix.
Im soldering a good ground wire for the external ignitors body to the negative terminal at the moment.

So I guess its not the BIP373s fault, the fault is mine for not having used a massive earth for them directly from the battery terminal. Anyways tuner life lesson learned. :|
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

update,turns out it is still not working right, i just couldnt figure out until now what the hell is causing the unstable ect and eventual AC not working.
Putting back everything to stock solves the problem.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I gotta say, that is no surprise to me. I have found no problem with having the BIP373 mounted right in the MS3 box, totally "stock" per the build instructions. I never believed your problems were because of the BIP.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

i really dont understand what could be causing this, I isolated basically everything to be able to find the cause, direct grounds and 12v and no success.

It seems that if I engage the AC with the stock ecu and then use the MS the AC works, but after turning the engine off and starting it, it wont work.

So it was too much of a hazzle so I installed a switch and relay for the compressor that also engages the fan.
What is also very annoying is that the DBW throttle is not steady and would not compensate when using the MS and AC or engaging hi beams, and I dont see why it wont if we are only intercepting injection and ignition signals... when all is stock, idle is perfect.

Maybe there is a confirmation measurement the stock ecu does that I dont have when intercepting these signals?