Another TC4427 question

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

retired
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Another TC4427 question

Post by retired »

MS2 currently built and been in service ages using a Ford (EDIS type) wasted spark coilpack with two ignitors in the case.

I now want to change to logic level.

First, apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find all the info in the manual.

I will be using the VW logic level coilpack 06A905097 as per page 79 of the hardware manual (version dated 2017-07-21 at the bottom of the pages) and the TC4427 drive circuit(s) as per page 71.

First question, are these coilpacks 5V logic or 12V logic, I can't seem to find that noted anywhere? (I'm guessing 5V but want to be sure).

More importantly, I initially want to run it in wasted spark configuration - I currently have JS11 in use for launch and the other possible launch pins used up so, until I move launch to Jean's IOx it will have to be wasted spark.

To drive the coil logic inputs as two pairs, is it preferable to use two TC4427s (all 4 chanels individually to the coilpack) and common up pairs of the TC4427 inputs to Spk A and Spk B or is it OK to just use one TC4427 and split the outputs between two pairs of coil inputs.
If that is acceptable, can the single 15 Ohm resistor on each output (just two resistors) feed pairs of coil input pins, perhaps reducing the value of the resistor to 7.5 Ohms, or do I have to split each TC4427 output pin to two resistors (four total) so each coil input pin has its own resistor?

EDIT - I should add that if it is acceptable the single TC4427 and two resistors is my preference because when I added the two ignitors in the case for the EDIS coilpack, the additional plug/socket I installed was two pins only.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance.
Classic Mini "A" series 5 port 1360 turbo
MS2-E fully sequential siamese code
14point7 SLC widebands, inner and outer cylinders and after turbo
digital AFR data and digital displays via Tiny-IOx
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Another TC4427 question

Post by 2swe »

I used 1 TC4427, 2 15 ohm resistors and 4 07k905715f (5 volt) in wasted spark some time, worked well.
now I have Jean's 4 channel board, and the same coils sequential.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2