Testing coil output

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Testing coil output

Post by herron_mac1 »

As a start i ran 2 Bips to run a 4 pole and yesterday removed both and rewired the v3 board to run a single TC4427 for VAG logic coils. I hooked up my stim and noticed that the 2nd spark output led was not lighting. honestly never noticed if it did before... after some searching and googling, I was worried somehow I burned or damaged my ms2 daughter board. I went through the coil testing mode and was able to test both channels and they both lit up correctly, obviously one then the other. Is there anything i have to worry about? I have never even put this in a car yet. Just stim testing.

On a side note, I did not know you could hook up outputs to the normal stim for testing. The "P3" i think it is was, was very helpful to make sure i had the correct tach output selected. Been debating to just do a bench test with a battery to spark the coils. Any ideas here?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Testing coil output

Post by elutionsdesign »

If the test mode works for both but normal running only fires 1 then it would seem to be a setting in the firmware.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

I was trying to look that up as well. the only thing i could find was that spark B was that fixed output on top of R29. I could not find anything in the settings that would "activate" said spark B.
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

Hopefully i did the attachment correct. its my first time.

Mind also, I have the setting for basic trigger temporarily to use the stim. I plan on changing this setting to a 36-1 and (ford)VR sensor once in the car.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Basic trigger spark mode will only support a single spark output.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Basic trigger spark mode will only support a single spark output.
thank you sir. This definitely answers my question. I would know if spark B works once its in the car with the new settings and pull the plugs and coils as a bench test on the valve cover. thank you.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Do you just have the basic stimulator? The JimStim has a 36-1 wheel setting, and a bunch of others as well.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

Six_Shooter wrote:Do you just have the basic stimulator? The JimStim has a 36-1 wheel setting, and a bunch of others as well.
to be honest, I was planing to run the oem hall sensor in the dizzy, then i changed to the tooth wheel with a 4 pole coil, and obviously now i'm running COP. thats why i did not get the jimstim originally. it also sucks that no one "rents" one out... (business opportunity :idea: )
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

herron_mac1 wrote:
Six_Shooter wrote:Do you just have the basic stimulator? The JimStim has a 36-1 wheel setting, and a bunch of others as well.
to be honest, I was planing to run the oem hall sensor in the dizzy, then i changed to the tooth wheel with a 4 pole coil, and obviously now i'm running COP. thats why i did not get the jimstim originally. it also sucks that no one "rents" one out... (business opportunity :idea: )
Alright, just thought I'd mention it, because sometimes people don't realize what features they have in a product, if one were to own said product. :)

I'm not sure a JimStim rental service is really financially feasible. They are cheap enough and handy enough even after someone has a vehicle up and running for later diagnostics or upgrades. Shipping back and forth and a rental fee on a JimStim would likely be almost as much as just buying one outright...
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post where you are located. Some kind soul with a stim may be nearby...