outputs scrambled

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Slider
MS/Extra Newbie

outputs scrambled

Post by Slider »

New assembly of an MS330-K with mapdaddy4 kit. Jimstim V2.0.4 and JimstimX 0,2. RTC module and Knock sensor upgrades. Tunerstudio MS Ultra V 3.3.05. All hardware from DIYAutoTune.

This is being setup to run a 1969 Dodge 440cid V8 Big Block. Full sequential fuel and coil near spark setup. 36-1 wheel with hall cam sensor.

Basic testing as per assembly instructions completed no erros on MS3X and JimStim. System powers up and connects to Tuner studio via USB. All troubleshooting for the MS3 has been gone through. Many hours of checking and double checking component placement and soldering completed by 3 separate individuals. No bridging or shorts found. All suggested power checks completed 100%.

Now to the interesting stuff! Turn the system on with the JimStim and everything looks to fire up fine except for one thing. SPRKC LED lites up dim. Have not been able to sync RPM yet so only the one LED lit on the MS3. Inputs work excellent. MAT, CLT, TPS, O2, MAP (both onboard) and not just from the JimStim. Actual sensors tested and working fine.

4 wire IAC tested and working properly. Homes and does a proper fully open fully closed loop. Testing same output with the JimStim shows no results on the onboard LED's.

Testing I/O with Tunerstudio's Output Test Mode nets the following results on the test LED's on the JimStim:

Fuel pump: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP2-Idle: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP3-Boost: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP4-Nitrous1: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP5-Nitrous2: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP6-VVT: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PP7-FIDLE: Off is off, pulsed is pulsed and on is on, WORKS!
PK0-Tach0: no response to turning off on or pulsed
IAC1: no response to turning off on or pulsed
IAC2: no response to turning off on or pulsed
Inj1: Off is off, pulsed is pulsed and on is on, WORKS!
Inj2: Off is off, pulsed is pulsed and on is on, WORKS!
PM2: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PK1: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PK3: no response to turning off on or pulsed
PK7: no response to turning off on or pulsed

Output Test Mode - I/O2
Inj A: Flashes/turns on Inj G LED on JimStimX
Inj B: Flashes/turns on Inj F LED on JimStimX
Inj C: Flashes/turns on Inj E LED on JimStimX
Inj D: Flashes/turns on Inj D LED on JimStimX
Inj E: Flashes/turns on Inj C LED on JimStimX
Inj F: Flashes/turns on Inj B LED on JimStimX
Inj G: Flashes/turns on Inj A LED on JimStimX
Inj H: Shows no response on JimStimX or JimStim
Spk A: Boost LED starts off not lit, Pulsed makes it flash, On turns it off and off turns it on
Spk B: N2O1 LED starts off not lit, Pulsed makes it flash, On turns it off and off turns it on
Spk C: No response on JimStim or JimStimX
Spk D: No response on JimStim or JimStimX
Spk E: No response on JimStim or JimStimX
Spk F: No response on JimStim or JimStimX
Spk G: No response on JimStim or JimStimX
Spk H: Inj H starts off not lit, Pulsed makes it flash, On turns it off and off turns it on

Although I have checked setup many times to simulate a 36-1 wheel and cam sensor I cannot get RPM to Sync. in Tunerstudio. Any suggestions on what to check next would be greatly appreciated. Over a week just checking the system over and over is getting frustrating. MSQ attached but no datalog yet Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
69 Charger R/T clone,'77 440 block,forged stock crank/rods,Speedpro L2355F forged pistons,Comp Cam 145-1714 Roller,Comp 145-1008 Hydraulic Roller Lifters, Manton pushrods 3/8 x .060 wall,1.5 CNC Roller Rockers,Trickflow 240 Powerport head,Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI Intake Manifold 7144,MS3X Megasquirt
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: outputs scrambled

Post by jsmcortina »

Have you connected the 5V and 0V jumper wires to the JimStimX from the JimStim ? Without those, the LEDs on the JimStimX won't do much.

PM1, PK2, PK3, PK7 aren't connected to the outputs, so you'd need to test those points on the MS3X card if you really want to test them.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Slider
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Slider »

The 5V line is jumped to the JimStimX card. There is no mention of a 0V jumper required. PM1, PK2, PK3, PK7 are not connected to test LEDs right now but with so many of the outputs shifted and messed up I was running through them to see if they lit up something they we not supposed to.
69 Charger R/T clone,'77 440 block,forged stock crank/rods,Speedpro L2355F forged pistons,Comp Cam 145-1714 Roller,Comp 145-1008 Hydraulic Roller Lifters, Manton pushrods 3/8 x .060 wall,1.5 CNC Roller Rockers,Trickflow 240 Powerport head,Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI Intake Manifold 7144,MS3X Megasquirt
Slider
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Slider »

Just double checked the the IAC output works correctly. Using the testing feature in Tunerstudio tested the wired in GM IAC. Works perfectly but JimStim shows no response to the same testing. Very confusing.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

0V is required.

Have you jumpered the IAC pins to the LEDs ?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Slider
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Slider »

Thank you for the reply James

There is no mention of the JimStimX requiring a gnd jumper in the instructions however I did add the jumper wire from the GND strip in the JimStim and it changed nothing. Jumping the IAC outputs from the on the JimStim did not get the LEDs working there either.I know the IAC LEDs work as I have tested them directly by jumping power to them in both directions. They just won't lite up while testing with Tunerstudio.

I tested the outputs on the MS3X card (top 37 plug) and all the outputs are 100% correct. All inj, spk and optional outputs are perfect. The simplest cheapest card (the JimStimX) is messed up. I followed the traces on the JimStimX board and they do NOT go to the right LEDs based on the outputs of the MS3X board so its not like I messed up the soldering of the board. I will be returning the JimStimX board for refund for sure.

Very impressed with the feature set and overall flexibility of the MS3 system. What a bargain! Wish the test cards were as good.......

Thank you all for your help!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That may be a stupid question but are you sure you installed the DB37 connector on the correct side of the board? That would explain why nothing is working and why the traces don't go to the right place.

Also, since this board has been in used for quite a while, any error that obvious and involving so many things would have been discovered a long time ago (and likely would not have been made in the first place).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum