not so typical coolant sensor 180*

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

not so typical coolant sensor 180*

Post by herron_mac1 »

Maybe i could have a little more light shined on this....

everything was tested good with stim, all inputs and outputs working. went to wire in the sensors in the car and the coolant sensor is reading 180. Obviously i read the trouble shooting and tested both the sensor and the wires for short and that they were right. I am using a GM sensor to make things easy along with the IAT. I went back and plugged in the stim and the pot works, meaning the squirt is set up right(im assuming). I used some wire taps and hooked up the sensor close to the ecu and still reading 180*. I did some more reading and plan on trying to swap my IAT and coolant sensors and see if they are infact working. I have also tested the sensor ground and that is good as well. any other ideas? again what is odd to my is that the stim is working properly and the wires are not shorted... maybe a setting?

Using MS2 on a v3 board.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: not so typical coolant sensor 180*

Post by billr »

If you are wondering if it is a problem with settings... let us see them.

:msq:
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

Sorry about not getting back sooner with logs. having difficulty saving the tune since its not connected, not sure why... but i found my problem.

Some have success with the Saturn coolant sensor, some don't is what i read. i have searched and searched and the only thing I found was that the saturn GM sensor is a "dual pole" and wont work with MS. so after careful testing and wiring of the sensor pigtail, I determined this is for sure my problem. I wired the coolant sensor wire to one of the sensor prongs and touched the dedicated ground to the body of the sensor and pow! it reads! I have since tapped a coolant block off plate i made before and used a standard GM sensor and pigtail as the sensor, wired it all back in and it worked perfect. so, if anyone reads this, and using the saturn sensor test it. you may have the same trouble as me.

Car did finally start last night with adjustment i forgot to the trigger angle, and is sounded great. now off to tune my idle and finally drive this beast.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Are you talking about a temp sensor for an S-series Saturn, the little one with 1/8" pipe thread (SMP #TX73 is one source)? There is nothing unusual about those, they are a simple thermistor, isolated from the body. However, if you got one out of a junkyard it may have been an original one and had a plastic "nose" on it. Those commonly crack and then the thermistor/leads can short. Saturn stopped using that design in about '01, and I don't think there are any reputable sources for those "bad ole ones" now.
herron_mac1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by herron_mac1 »

billr wrote:Are you talking about a temp sensor for an S-series Saturn, the little one with 1/8" pipe thread (SMP #TX73 is one source)? There is nothing unusual about those, they are a simple thermistor, isolated from the body. However, if you got one out of a junkyard it may have been an original one and had a plastic "nose" on it. Those commonly crack and then the thermistor/leads can short. Saturn stopped using that design in about '01, and I don't think there are any reputable sources for those "bad ole ones" now.
I tried 2, One from a junk yard (which was the metal tip) then a new one from an auto parts store after i thought the junk yard one was bad. both did the same thing. just odd...