BIP373 direct drive coil

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

BIP373 direct drive coil

Post by Fringeless »

Original JEEP SETUP_2016-11-02_22.48.54.msq
I have an ms3 v3.0 board with ms3x board installed for cam sensor et al. I have my mainboard set up with the BIP 373 to directly drive my ignition coil. However, in the ignition setting of tunerstudio, I cannot find the correct setting under spark hardware to use pin 36 of the mainboard to use as an ignition driver. TS sets my output to spark A on ms3x with single coil selected. From my understanding, this circuit is a logic level circuit only. I have everything else set up and calibrated and was just about to start my engine, but decided to overlook critical settings before I hit the key.

Am I correct in assuming that with the ms3x card installed, that I am losing the direct drive capability of the BIP373? or do I need to make changes to my msq?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: BIP373 direct drive coil

Post by DaveEFI »

The high current coil driver (BIP373) is not connected as is. It is called IGBT on the PCB. Beside the BIP, you'll find (IGBTin) and (IGBTout) on the PCB.

(IGBTout) should be jumpered to (ign) beside it. That is the other end of the Pin36 PCB track.

Spark A needs to be jumpered to (IGBTin)
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You can have both the mainboard BIP373 and MS3X installed. To use the BIP, select "LEDs Spark" for Spark Hardware.

Edit: Oops, I see you already have that set; yeah, it must be a wiring/jumpering problem.
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

DaveEFI wrote:The high current coil driver (BIP373) is not connected as is. It is called IGBT on the PCB. Beside the BIP, you'll find (IGBTin) and (IGBTout) on the PCB.

(IGBTout) should be jumpered to (ign) beside it. That is the other end of the Pin36 PCB track.

Thanks, Dave. I already have the have the high current circuit built as per manual. I did not know that when MS3x was installed that pin 38 would not be "selectable" on TS I need a jumper from the mainboard to ms3x Spark A. Thanks again.
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

billr wrote:You can have both the mainboard BIP373 and MS3X installed. To use the BIP, select "LEDs Spark" for Spark Hardware.

Edit: Oops, I see you already have that set; yeah, it must be a wiring/jumpering problem.
So would led spark put ignition out of the mainboard pin 38?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Pin 38 ??? No there isn't any! Pin 36 will be the "high current coil driver" if the MS mainboard is configured per the manual. I don't mean to beat on you about *just* a typo, but inaccurate info will cripple our efforts to help you. Proof-reading is in your best interest.
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

Pin 36
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

With some searching, I found this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=42038
I will use this for reference. That would explain why "spark A" is selected in TS. I suppose that this is the preferred method with MS3X. I could not find this in the M3.0/MS3X manual.
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

DaveEFI wrote:The high current coil driver (BIP373) is not connected as is. It is called IGBT on the PCB. Beside the BIP, you'll find (IGBTin) and (IGBTout) on the PCB.

Thanks for the insight Dave. So what I did on the bottom of the main board was cut the 330R 1/4W resistor between IGBTin and the top of R26, On top of the board, I cut the trace from from IGBTIN to the base of of the BIP373 Emitter. In its place, I soldered a new 330R and installed a jumper to go to the logic-level "spark A" output of the MS3X board.
How does this sound?
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

billr wrote:Pin 38 ??? No there isn't any! Pin 36 will be the "high current coil driver" if the MS mainboard is configured per the manual. I don't mean to beat on you about *just* a typo, but inaccurate info will cripple our efforts to help you. Proof-reading is in your best interest.
My board was configured per "the manual". As per the manual, pin 36 is labeled as IGN and is brown My mainboard has a "spark a" wire on pin 36.
Sorry that I made you spill your Starbuck's on your crotch billiejean, but you have to forgive me I have very large hands and keyboards that work for normal sized people do not work well for people like me. Sometimes my finger slips and I might hit an "f" when I meant to hit a "u". The circuit is working fine. got my Jeep running this morning after trimming up a wee bit o gain to U7 if you know what I mean.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Fringeless wrote:With some searching, I found this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=42038
I will use this for reference. That would explain why "spark A" is selected in TS. I suppose that this is the preferred method with MS3X. I could not find this in the M3.0/MS3X manual.
I'd say it's very unusual to buy an MS3X - then stick with a single coil.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

For the time being my friend, for the time being. Upon my next trek to civilization, I will go berzerker on a U-Pull-It, and I will return with hoards of hardware to appease Megasquirt. What does your tribe seek?
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

Dave, do you think that Id be better off cutting that 330ohmer out and wire the Bosch directly to the output of spark A, Or shouid I use a lower value resistor. Of note, I did test it and ran the engine for 30 min while I tinkered around with TS. I was barely warm to touch. You are very much the expert.