no crank signal

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turboe36
MS/Extra Newbie

no crank signal

Post by turboe36 »

hey guy's I'm in the process of building my ms3 board. i just got done doing some of my input construction. I have attempted to test the crank output to board in tuner studio, but i am getting no response on the tach signal in tuner studio, the clock circuit is operational and i get a response from the coolant temp sensor and MAP sensor. On my board i have installed both circuits outlined in the assembly manual as 50a (hall / optical circuit input) and the ( VR circuit) in step 51. i have the proper jumpers in place to activate the hall effect sensor circuit ( XG1>XG2, OPTIN>TACHSELECT, TSEL>OPTOUT).

Now im wondering what i should do to trouble shoot this issue, i have followed the troub shooting guide and cannot seem to find and issue with my board, i have jumper wires intalled in location d2 and good battery voltage, an overall check of the board yields no obvious bridged pins.

My only current idea is to check the stim board by it's self to see if it is even outputting the rpm signal, wondeirng if i can jumper power output from the stim back to its self to power the stim output circuits.

thanks in advance for any insight into this issue!!!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: no crank signal

Post by billr »

Is your "stim" a JimStim, or the other version? Posting pictures of the stim may speed things along, that will show which it is, and how you have switches and jumpers (on the stim) set.
turboe36
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turboe36 »

it is just a stim, i will post some pictures tommorow possibly
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think the older stim has limited trigger simulation capabilities; post your MSQ also, as you may have set a mode not supported.
JIrons
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JIrons »

I just had the same problem. Ended up putting the vr jumpers back in place, basically taking the opto circuit out of the loop. Now everything works great.
Sand scorpion
Engine:
2387cc aircooled roller motor
custom intake manifold w/45 lb bosch injectors
LT1 throttle body w/modified 4 wire iac valve
Electromotive dual coil ignition
AEM wideband 02 sensor
60/2 crank trigger wheel
MSD fuel pump
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

The Stim, JimStim or regular) don't need any jumpers to power itself. It will power up without an MS attached. Remember, the stim provides power to the MS, not the other way around.

I don't recall if there's an easy way to use an LED on the regular stim or not to check pulses from the timer circuit.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Six_Shooter wrote: Remember, the stim provides power to the MS, not the other way around.
The stim does power the MS but the MS does supply the stim with 5v ref. So the tps pot, O2 pot, leds and in the case of the original stim, it's timer circuit & rpm pots, get no supply without the MS connected.
The original stim will only give a signal that is compatible with a Basic trigger or Fuel only configuration. So you have to be set to one of those in tuner studio even if only for the testing purposes.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke