DIYMSPNP V1.5B Toyota 4age Assembly and COP

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kovacs2121
MS/Extra Newbie

DIYMSPNP V1.5B Toyota 4age Assembly and COP

Post by kovacs2121 »

Hello everyone,
I am very new here and have done what I can to use the search function and research :RTFM: before I ask but I feel a little lost here. I got a 42 pin nippon denso DIYMSPNP v1.5b and got it assembled to the end of the standard guide as well as the pull ups listed in the application specific page.

I have a 4age built with 8.5:1 arias pistons in my te72 liftback. I plan on using 7mgte injectors, eliminating the afm and using the built in MAP sensor and installing the diyautotune IAT sensor. I also have a honda knock sensor that I plan to use if possible. I would like to eliminate the distributor and have a set of 4 pin toyota 1zz-fe COP and Hall sensor and 36-1 trigger wheel ready to go. Garrett T25 turbo to be installed as well with all other supporting equipment.

So my main question is what mods do I need to make to the megasquirt to run the 1zz coils and trigger wheel properly and what does this wiring look like? ( a pinout or drawn diagram would help immensely)

Thanks in advance,
Dillon
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DIYMSPNP V1.5B Toyota 4age Assembly and COP

Post by Matt Cramer »

This will need logic level spark outputs as described in the DIYPNP manual:

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... ypnp-v1-5/
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

You could use the standard 4agze CAS or small port 4age CAS with cops.
You may need a pair of vr conditioners like the jbperf board. I'm not sure what's included in the pnp stuff sorry.

Sounds like a great build though. Keep us updated and with photos. What size turbo too?
kovacs2121
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kovacs2121 »

I am using a nissan 180sx t25 Garrett.

I decided to try to get the megasquirt to run the car in n/a stock engine form before doing the COP's, turbo, and trigger wheel stuff. I can power on the megasquirt using the stim 12v wall outlet and got base tune settings set as per the extra docs for 4age. I got all the jumpers wired up in that documentation as well. Thought someone here might know what to do with the BaTT ecu pin? when I plug in the megasquirt in car it wont power on, and the BaTT (battery) pin isnt hooked to anything on the main board. should it be jumpered from the harness to 12v power on the main MS board?

Heres a couple pictures, one is my ecu pinout, the pins with no marking on them are not jumpered to anything on the main board, is there anything that stands out that should be jumped?
https://postimg.org/image/mz8ieh3z9/
https://postimg.org/image/jtnwo9ld1/
kovacs2121
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kovacs2121 »

Okay, I figured out the connection problem and got the car running stock, but it doesn't like to idle. so anyway I'm back to trying to hook up the COP's to the ecu. so the 1zz coils have 4 pins: ground, trigger 5v, trigger ground, and 12v power. So I assume the ground is a coil ground for all four coils, the trigger 5v is the signal from the ecu which needs to be hooked up to the logic level outputs on the main board (edge connections, ign1 ign2 wled and aled?), trigger ground is from coils grounded back to the ecu ground?, and 12 volt power from the battery or other good power source (maybe ign relay?).

So my main question now is, using the 1zz-fe coils with built in ignitors, do I need to use any type of BIP373? i dont think i do from my understanding, just looking for clarification. Second, if I hook up the 5V signal coil wires to these edge connections on the board will the megasquirt send a 5v signal or do i need to run resistors somewhere or change any settings in tuner studio? and is it okay to hook the trigger ground back to the MS ground?

Thanks!
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

What you are calling trigger ground is the feedback signal IGF that the cop has fired, only factory ECU uses this signal.

On my coils (same) I supply switched 12v (fuel pump relay), permanent ground to head then the ms3x outputs provide the logic signal which fires coils.
Pretty sure was same on ms2, I used 2x LED outputs for wasted spark. I did use resistors on MS2 though, but can't recall if pull to 12 or 5v. Have you checked the msextra manuals for ms2 v3.0 board?
If your resistors are too large then it won't spark a coil.

See here:
http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-arti ... info-guide
kovacs2121
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kovacs2121 »

Thanks, that was really helpful! I got them all wired up and they are sending spark but I can't get the car to fire up now, guessing my ignition settings are wrong.
I'm using 1zz coils and a 36-1 wheel and a hall effect sensor. I'm trying to fire the car up but currently it won't fire after installing coils. they are sending spark. I have the hall effect sensor located on the 9th tooth after tooth #1 while at TDC (which I think should give me a Tooth #1 Angle setting of 80* ?). any insight would be appreciated, if you could tell me your dwell settings and all other pertinent ignition settings! thanks!

If anyone can answer any part of my post there it would be super helpful. I'm trying to get the car going, as I'm supposed to be leaving on a long road trip in 5 days.
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Post your MSQ so we can see if there's a settings issue.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

I'm using 2.5ms dwell with these cops.

A good timing light on #1, when does it spark when cranking? Make sure to pull your injector plugs off or fuse out so don't fill engine with gas.