Refitting a V3 for 3 Cyl Motorcycle Racing Use- Interested?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

FAHR451
MS/Extra Newbie

Refitting a V3 for 3 Cyl Motorcycle Racing Use- Interested?

Post by FAHR451 »

Wow its been a long time since I posted anything on the forums .
I built a V3 for a V12 jaguar aero engine around 10 years ago using Audi V6 coil packs and a lot of igbts ! I worked it up but because personal problems could not finish the engine in its 8 litre state .The V3 tested fine but I didn't even burn the software onto the uP as I had no running engines , I still have a ton of components but sadly no engines . I have dozens high flow injectors and lots of sensors and coil packs ,Denso of course ,who else ? if anyone out there needs something let me know .
Happily I have started another build ,this time an F2 sidecar fitted with the Triumph 675R engine .Designed and built by me and you could say its different to anything else out there but still complys with the regulations .From 12 cylinders 8 litre 750+ bhp normalized for 20000feet to 3 cylinders 675cc 128 bhp at O feet ! Mmmm!
I have installed my V3 in a heatsink hammond case and it has already been set up to accept the old daughter board for additional functions like knock sensor ,egt etc . I fitted 2 heatsinks to carry all the igbts so there is plenty of room for the additonal components needed as there is no longer any need for the others used in conjuction with turbocharging the V 12 motor. I have a fair stock of components too .
I am now refitting the V3 for use on this as the original Triumph ecu doesn't offer enough potential . I will be using the Keihin stepper motor idle solenoid so a chandge from the ubiquitous Bosch unit and a rewire replace of components to suit. I have made some assumptions already apart from replacing components removed for the bosch 3 wire pwm unit to use the 4 wire IAC terminals on the board .
1 It needs a cam position sensor for phasing I have a few of each type so location is the only problem but the back of the Inlet cam looks favourite .
2) I asume the ignition set up will be similzr to a 6 cylinder waste spark or rotary engine COP but with altered ignition excititation. I.e. ACB ? Eh wheres D gone ?
3) now it gets complicated , I want to run 3 additional injectors phased to come in at higher rpm that inject into the airstream over the throttle body intake as well as into the manifold as per the originals .So there is a subtle change of flow from the inlet injectors to the bell mouth injectors under changes of RPM MAP etc . These will run sequentially with the cam sensor signaling phase .Its allowed in the regs so I want to use this .Inlet manifold injection close to the valve is good at low rpm and torque but into the bell mouths is better at WOT and max power . So in effect we have bank A and B injectors but controlled differently .
4) I want to use an output to run an electronic steering damper the Honda HESD a 2 wire solenoid valve that moves forward increasing stiffness with vehicle speed and reverses of course which can be obtained from that sensor on the gearbox. This is to assist me keep the steering straight at speed and to lighten it at manouvering speeds.So the V3 will have an extra 3 wire hall sensor input and possibly an accelerometer input too .There are lots of inputs and outputs on the V3 which to use and set up ?
5) I want to auto blip throttle on down changes using the idle solenoid as it acts directly on the throttle shaft .,as I will be converting the gearshifter to solenoid operation as my hands and legs aren't good . I am working on something using a simple PIC uP . Up and down shifts by button , the clutch lever only being used briefly to get the thing moving from standstill.I may modify the clutch to fly by wire to ease the load on my left hand it has a 2 wire switch which may be a variable resistor . .
If you imagine someone with minimum use of hands and legs racing a very quick and powerful machine , youll get the idea . I chose the F2 sidecar because you can lie flat on it with no strain on my spine and with good support for arms and legs .
And yes I should be in a wheel chair but they are very uncomfortable and is not an F2 sidecar a wheeled chair ? I Am not dead yet !
It will have baro correction ,launch ,table switching,2nd HEGO , 2nd trigger input cam sensor ( newly added of course) ,tacho out,egt and knock control plus anything mentioned above . Theres lots of inputs and outputs to play with .
Being out of the scene for 10 years don't help and surely there are people out there that have developed these ideas but I haven't been able to find anything so far on the forums and I don't believe I am the first to come up with these ideas . Any help will be greatly appreciated and recognised . If somone can work through the set up , provide the firmware and basic mapping to get this sorted for initial start up and basic wiring of some of the components then that would be a dream . I can supply all the necessary info on sensors being used , inectors resistance and possible flow rates and any of the actuators being used . I can still solder but have taught my 17 year old son lots of engineering skills for when this time came when I can no longer use my body properly.
Come on guys and gals lets see some suggestions particularly from the MS Grand Masters !

Have a good Christmas everyone .
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Refitting a V3 for 3 Cyl Motorcycle Racing Use- Interest

Post by Matt Cramer »

You didn't say what processor you will be using for the current build, but an MS3 would be your best bet, for reasons that will be clear when I reply to the questions.

You'll simply set the ECU for three cylinders and coil on plug in TunerStudio. So this will automatically select three spark outputs (unless you have an MS1).

The MS3's staged injection code is designed exactly for what you wanted to do in (3).

For (4), you could use an MS3 generic PWM output triggered off VSS.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X