Coolant Reading off

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Herbst
MS/Extra Newbie

Coolant Reading off

Post by Herbst »

When I installed my new injectors, I accidentally cut the thermostat wires and after rewiring through trial and error, the temperature readings on tuner studio are very far off. At normal operating temperature, tuner studio shows I have a temperature of about 105 F when its normally 190 F. My best guess is I may have burned up one of the capacitor in the CLT circuit, either C6 or C7. I took it apart and nothing looked burnt, but I wanted to double check before I start desoldering and replacing. I have a MS3X and my car is a 1997 Mazda Miata. Currently I just adjusted the thermistor table based on the analog gauge so that the fans will turn on when they are suppose to. I changed the 176F from 330 ohms to 1700 ohms. And adjusted the other two values accordingly.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Coolant Reading off

Post by billr »

It should be impossible to hurt those caps with any voltage near the nominal 12V. Remove the harness connector from the CLT sensor and do few meter measurements:

1) Key-off, MS ground to one harness socket should be 2499 ohms (assuming R7 is the standard 2.49K)
2) key-off, MS ground to the other harness socket should be near-zero ohms
3) key on, MS ground to the first (2499 ohm) socket should be 5V

Another fairly easy check is to connect the MAT sensor to the CLT input, and vice-versa; see if the problem follows the input or follows the sensor. Little "adapter cables" are pretty easy to make up if those sensors use different connectors.
Ted75zcar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ted75zcar »

Disconnect the wire to the sensor and measure the resistance to chassis ground. Do this at 2 different coolant temperatures and compare it to the Miata resistance curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ted75zcar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ted75zcar »

You can alternatively measure the voltage when connected and calculate the resistance with the resistance divider formula, using the pull up resistance in your MS as "R1"

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

This is a 1-wire sensor? Check grounds, especially from engine to MS. Maybe I'm confused, though, as the OP originally stated: "cut the thermostat wires"
Ted75zcar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ted75zcar »

Yes, miata CLT sensor is 1-wire

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Sounds as though the op may have cut more than 1 wire! :shock: Lord knows what it may be connected to now!
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Ted75zcar wrote:Yes, miata CLT sensor is 1-wire

No it's not. The 1 wire temp sensor on a Miata is for the gauge NOT the ECU
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Ted75zcar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ted75zcar »

I stand corrected, it is a 2 terminal device.

It is still simply a ground referenced resistive sensor and can be tested as such.

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

So... is the "ground reference" in your install now at an MS DB37 ground pin, or to just some other handy ground?