"RPM Not Synced" in MegaStim Testing, Step 55 in the Guide

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

spazpilot
MS/Extra Newbie

"RPM Not Synced" in MegaStim Testing, Step 55 in the Guide

Post by spazpilot »

MS 2, v3.0: Firmware 3.4.2 installed
MegaStim 2.2
TunerStudio 3.0.18

Mid build on step 55 of the V3.0 Assembly guide. All previous steps/tests completed successfully.
Installed the Hal/Optical HW per the manual for FORD EIDS (more on this later...), did not install VR HW on the MS board (Manual said I didn't have to, but I will likely do it anyhow...).
Jumpered D1 and D2 per the manual
Jumpered for IAC (4 jumpers) per the manual
Jumpered XG1 to XG2 per the manual
Jumpered OPTOIN to TACHSELECT per the manual
Jumpered TSEL to OPTOOUT per the manual

When I test in Tuner Studio, the RPM BARELY moves (68 rpm) then I get O2 sensor warnings and "RPM Not Synced" and the RPM drops out.
The rest of the sensors/POTS/TS seem to work fine.

My main question is if I should proceed with the build or troubleshoot the RPM readings. I read in other posts that this can just be "Noise" interfering since it is on the HALL side.

My secondary question which may usurp my first question, is that, in the assembly manual (step 50) it says to use the Hall/Optical with FORD EIDS. But the MSExtra manual states that this is a VR type circuit (section 5.2.2)... (it also refers to it as "VR Input for logic input
e.g. TFI, EDIS, GMDIS, LS1/24X, modules, hall sensor with built-in pullup", wich is even more confusing). So I don't know which route to go (I'm installing a 36-1 crank trigger wheel with the stock Ford Sensor and EIDS)

Further countering the Assembly Manual here is a quote from a website on the FORD EIDS system, "In 1991 Ford introduced the electronic distributorless ignition system (EDIS). Instead of Hall-effect sensors, it uses a more reliable variable reluctance (VR) sensor to detect crankshaft position. There is also a cam position sensor but it’s used for fuel injection, not ignition. This was the basic design of all Ford distributorless ignition systems before going to COP ignition."

So I should actually be using the "VR" circuit on the MS board instead of the Hall/Optical? Re jumper as such and install the VR HW on to the board?

Cheers,

Curtis
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: "RPM Not Synced" in MegaStim Testing, Step 55 in the Gui

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post your MSQ and a data log of the loss of sync? This will give us more to go on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: "RPM Not Synced" in MegaStim Testing, Step 55 in the Gui

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What manual?? If you are using MSextra 3.4.2 you should be using the assembly guide in the MSextra manuals in conjunction with the edis section of the MSextra manual. It is not a VR only input, it can be and is used with other inputs with MSextra. The MSextra manual would not have instructed to leave out the "VR" components.

Edis is it's own device, it may use VR inputs but the signals it sends and receives to/from MS are not VR.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke