2 questions - board/stim test

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

t56tr
MS/Extra Newbie

2 questions - board/stim test

Post by t56tr »

Hello - new to this so please forgive me if the questions have simple answers.

DIY ms3 kit w ms3x. Assembled it myself. Its going in a 24x ls1, (with gm stepper iac). Trying the full seq fuel/spark out of the gate. Anyway, I assembled it following all of the ls settings/jumpers/ build recommendations in the documentation..

On the first try It synced with tuner studio/laptop and loaded everything (I used all the defaults). I hooked up the jimstim (pre-assembled one) and the dash loaded but gauges were going haywire and it had no sync.

I googled it quick and just put the dip witched on the stim to 36-1 (I had prior put them on the ls1 settings thinking that's where they should be).

Right away it synced and everything seems to work (except one thing - see below in a min).

Is my next step to go through in Tuner studio and change all of the software setting to what is required for 24xls (then flash it to the unit)? Then change the jim stim dip switches back and re try it? I want to get this ready to fire the car.

Next, I am getting no FP LED on the stim. I ran the led test its good. I am not getting the prime flash, solid led, nothing. Could this be a setting change that I can make somewhere (software)? I searched a lot and it said to check q2 and q19. Sure enough those were a couple of pieces I had some issues with when soldering. For some reason I struggled there and it got sloppy. I had to clean up some cross connecting that occurred with solder which I did prior to ever powering up. I had to do this using a 5x magnifier to see clearly. Anyway, are there any simple tests to check the FP circuit. I am going to change out q2 and 19, but before I did I would like to test if possible. PS I am figuring out MSQ and how to attach it.

Thank you -
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 2 questions - board/stim test

Post by DaveEFI »

This is the normal V3 PCB? Remove the processor daughter card and jumper 5v to pin33 on the socket on the PCB, then power up from the stim. The pump LED on the stim should light. Remove the jumper and it should go out. This tests the pump relay driver circuit complete.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
t56tr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by t56tr »

Yes it is thanks. I will try it when I get back to my shop later. Any input on the other question? Do I just flash the unit with a tune that is close to get me going or do I go through now and enter all of the parameters for ls1 that I can collect and program it? I just read that there may be a newer firmware jimstim out. I bought mine about a month ago, don't know which one I have or if it makes a difference. I would like to get it programmed and tested with the stim so when I try and do the first start I am not chasing my tail for a week.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

My view is it's better to start afresh from the base tune after loading the code. And go through all the basic settings using the manual. You should get it it running easily, if your hardware is working correctly. And with VEAL, you should get it running quite well in say half a day of testing.

Once it is running OK, by all means compare the tune from another the same.

There are so many variables that effect MS tune that unless the engine you get a tune from is identical in every way, lots may need altering. Which may be quicker if an experienced MS tuner, but all too easy to get lost if not.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
t56tr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by t56tr »

TY for the start up advice. Anyway, in regards to no FP LED on stim....

I did your suggested test of jumping 5v to pin 33. I do not know if it matters but I pulled the 5v off of pin 1 (with the card removed). Powered by the stim and a fresh 9v batt.

So with pin 1 to 33, I get no FP LED still. As a side note, during this testing I am not hooked up to tuner studio, just the board on the bench.

While searching on this forum, I noticed there was a thread with a similar problem. On that thread someone suggested the guy check what he has going through r16.

So With pin 1 to 33 (5v) still, board powered by stim, I have 4.99 on one end of r16, and about 1.22 on the other end. When I yank the jumper out (killing the 5v to pin 33), I have zero on r16.

With this new information, am I still looking at changing q2 and q 19? Or is there some where else I should be looking.
t56tr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by t56tr »

I am going to dump all of this stuff on EBY. My user name on there is the same as here if anyone is interested. I do not have the time or patience to try and make this work. Seemed like a good idea at the time though. I want to focus on getting this project running this spring, not going back to school for an electrical engineering degree. I am sure this is an easy fix/problem to resolve.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

First thing to do on a new build if the fuel pump output driver doesn't work is to examine it carefully to make sure you've installed the correct components and there are no solder bridges at the transistors. As it's very rare to have a faulty component 'out of the box'.

If you're not happy learning fault finding for any reason, send it to someone who will repair it for you.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.