MS2 V3.0 HEI8 JUMPER QUESTION

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bnunes
MS/Extra Newbie

MS2 V3.0 HEI8 JUMPER QUESTION

Post by bnunes »

new forum member

bought a megasquirt 2 diy kit from diyautotune. was interested in assembling the board, and learning how to tune.

I followed the megamanual, assembled everything, passed all assembly tests along the way.

also bought and assembled a megastim v2.2.

everything seems right, I hooked up the stim and connected to tunerstudio and all values make sense when I adjust the pots on the stim. no issues there.

the megamanual is a little difficult to read and follow(to put it mildly)

after bench testing it, I started looking at how to install it in my vehicle. 88 chevy tbi 350 with gm hei8 ignition module. and I found the manuals here.

it seems like the megamanual and the guides here differ on what jumper wires to install for the gm hei8. the manuals here want you to do the VR circuit, the megamanual has you connect some different jumpers.

so my question is which is right? should I just try and wire and fire it and see what happens?
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 V3.0 HEI8 JUMPER QUESTION

Post by Six_Shooter »

It comes down to which firmware you will be using. If you will be using B&G code, follow the Megamanual, if you will be using MSExtra, follow the MSExtra manual.

Both input circuits will work, it was just reported by some that the VR input worked more reliably than the optical input.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
bnunes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bnunes »

Ok. I used the b&g firmware, and hooked it up. Truck fired up first try (which was amazing to me) and the tach signal seems stable. now I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. First time attempting to tune anything.

What does the msextra firmware have over the b&g stuff? Is it easier to use? More up to date? Better support?
Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevelleFan »

bnunes wrote:Ok. I used the b&g firmware, and hooked it up. Truck fired up first try (which was amazing to me) and the tach signal seems stable. now I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. First time attempting to tune anything.

What does the msextra firmware have over the b&g stuff? Is it easier to use? More up to date? Better support?
Would anyone recommend one over the other?

More features, yes. I don't know about 'easier' to use, that's pretty subjective. I think Extra has better support. Get your feet wet with B&G since you're there, once you feel a little more comfortable, convert over to Extra.

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
bnunes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bnunes »

ChevelleFan wrote:
More features, yes. I don't know about 'easier' to use, that's pretty subjective. I think Extra has better support. Get your feet wet with B&G since you're there, once you feel a little more comfortable, convert over to Extra.

-Dave
Thanks! I have a lot to learn, I'll be researching and asking more questions.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

bnunes wrote:
ChevelleFan wrote:

-Dave
Thanks! I have a lot to learn, I'll be researching and asking more questions.
If you're used to Extra code, you might find B&G lacking some nice features. If you don't know either, and B&G gives you all you need, it will be fine. But as you've found, some of the hardware may be configured differently, so don't mix bits of one with the other.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.