board de flux

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

moho9
Helpful MS/Extra'er

board de flux

Post by moho9 »

hello wondering what is the best method to clean up the flux from my ms3 ? thanks!
franksidebike
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: board de flux

Post by franksidebike »

moho9 wrote:hello wondering what is the best method to clean up the flux from my ms3 ? thanks!
Isopropanol!
Frank

Edit: From ms3 Board or V3.0 Board?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Found at drugstores under the name "rubbing alcohol", at least in the USA... not sure about elsewhere. The 90% kind is better than the 70%.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
moho9
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by moho9 »

thanks so do i wash it in water after getting water on electrical or electronic parts freaks me out
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I wouldn't.

Just use the alcohol, as much as necessary to remove the flux, then let it air-dry.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Water on electronic parts is not a problem (except for some components; I would be careful of not getting water go in a map sensor port). I wash my boards in hot water but I use water soluble flux. Obviously, I let them dry completely before applying power.

But for rosin flux, 90%+ isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol or rubbing alcohol) is what you want to use.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Buying IPA can be slightly tricky in the UK. Not usually available from your corner store, unlike the US. But you can buy it from an electronics supplier who should also sell PCB clearer - or from Ebay. Or you may be lucky with your local chemist.

However, if you've used proper electronic multi-core solder, there's no need to clean the board, except for looks.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I have a gallon jug of PCB cleaner, "Flux-off" from Chemtronics. It is a poor cleaner; alcohol (I usually use ethanol) works much better, and lacquer thinner works much better that alcohol. I've never tried acetone... I always clean/rinse with hot water afterward. There is no danger from that, "water wash" has been common in the electronics industry ever since Freon was banned about 30 years ago.

PS: I have had some problems that I think were caused by not cleaning rosin flux well enough, but they were analog circuits with high impedance (1M or so) in the sensing areas. Plus, they were used in wet environments where the humidity must have been nearly 100% I think the flux may have just been attracting conductive crud, and was going to try a good wash with conformal coating, but got pulled away from the project before that happened
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

We can be a little slow down under. I can remember using freon up till the mid 90's. Unleaded fuel came in about 86.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
moho9
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by moho9 »

thank you all for the reply will us rubbing alcohol and warm water also different subject. what does everyone use for jumpers and if a component is not needed why jump it?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

For jumpers, whatever copper wire is handy. Often I use cut-offs from component leads for short jumpers; for longer ones either solid or stranded insulated wire. I tend to use wire with a high temp rating for the insulation, like nylon or Teflon.

Which components are you talking about to be left out but jumpered? The only one that pops-to-mind for me is R43. That is a very low resistance value, used for determining proper coil dwell if you have a scope. It isn't often used for that purpose so can be "omitted", but there does need to be conduction (the jumper) through that path in the circuit if you intend to use the standard single-coil driver.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Possibly in the opto circuit also depending on application. If a component is left out of a series circuit then the current path/pcb track is broken so a jumper is installed to make it continuous again.
Cheers Luke
moho9
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by moho9 »

thank you all for the replys i am building a ms3m3.0 board wiyh ms3x card for ls1 ignition 24-1 i have d1 and d2 r43 bip373 y1 crystal d4 r39 and q16 left over from my build should i enstall some of these or jumper their positions on the board i am haveing cam sync peoblens on my board as in no signal so thats why i was wondering about cleaning etc. i am so new to this that it could be a soft ware problem? going over all my hardware first inspect joints etc i thank you all for any and all help i recieve hard to make good choices when you dont have experence and i am totally new to all this thanks!
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

None of that would cause cam signal problems. Your cam signal comes into the Xpander board. 5.2.14.2 http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... .4-93.html and 6.3.3 http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... 4-172.html
Cheers Luke
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I use MG chemicals flux remover for PC boards. Works much better than isopropyl alcohol. Its available on Amazon.com
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

moho9 wrote:thank you all for the replys i am building a ms3m3.0 board wiyh ms3x card for ls1 ignition 24-1 i have d1 and d2 r43 bip373 y1 crystal d4 r39 and q16 left over from my build should i enstall some of these or jumper their positions on the board i am haveing cam sync peoblens on my board as in no signal so thats why i was wondering about cleaning etc. i am so new to this that it could be a soft ware problem? going over all my hardware first inspect joints etc i thank you all for any and all help i recieve hard to make good choices when you dont have experence and i am totally new to all this thanks!
Don't jumper any components left out, unless the build instructions say specifically to do so. For example, a capacitor or diode my be across the power line to smooth it and protect that part of the circuit from voltage spikes. Shorting that out could also short the power line to other things.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
moho9
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by moho9 »

thanks for taking time to help me