another No RPM problem

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

another No RPM problem

Post by Rooster210 »

Hey everyone
I have a Megasquirt 3 3.0 with the MSX card in it. I built everything but I'm getting a RPM Not Synced error light in TS.
I have a stock 36-1 gear on the crankshaft and stock Ford Crank sensor. And stock Ford Camshaft sensor. Everything is wired up for full sequential.
Just using the Stim without having anything in the car it wont sync set on any setting but basic trigger. If I set it to use basic trigger the RPM syncs. it operates properly and the lights on the end of the MS3 start working. I have jumpered it for Hall and VR both ways and no difference. the only thing that makes it work with the STIM is to put it in basic trigger mode. I get nothing when its in the car regardless what the settings say. What am I missing? or what did I assemble wrong?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: another No RPM problem

Post by billr »

Start with this:
:msq:

Maybe post some pictures of the mainboard (both sides), too. A picture of the stim, too, if it is a version with switches and jumpers that need to be set.

The jumpers on the mainboard are the same for either VR or Hall, but you may need to add a pull-up resistor if your sensor is Hall. Figure out which type the sensor is before going any further, there is no use trying things that can't possibly work. The pots will need to be set, and different for VR or Hall; another reason to know what you have before continuing.
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

billr wrote:Start with this:
:msq:

Maybe post some pictures of the mainboard (both sides), too. A picture of the stim, too, if it is a version with switches and jumpers that need to be set.

The jumpers on the mainboard are the same for either VR or Hall, but you may need to add a pull-up resistor if your sensor is Hall. Figure out which type the sensor is before going any further, there is no use trying things that can't possibly work. The pots will need to be set, and different for VR or Hall; another reason to know what you have before continuing.
I'll get some pics of it in awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

Ok so here's the board. Im pretty sure something isnt right but not sure what.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

And the stim.ImageImage

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

That is a basic Stim. the only pattern it outputs, is Basic Trigger.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:That is a basic Stim. the only pattern it outputs, is Basic Trigger.
thanks. That definitely explains why I only get a signal on basic then. Now if we can figure out the other problems I'll be golden
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

I'm not totally sure but is this correct for the MSQ file?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The only ford crank sensors I have come across have been VR. Have you adjusted the pots on the mainboard for VR input? Cam can be hall or VR on fords. I presume you have the cam signal going to the MS3x card. It also has to be configured for the type of input you are supplying.
Cheers Luke
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:The only ford crank sensors I have come across have been VR. Have you adjusted the pots on the mainboard for VR input? Cam can be hall or VR on fords. I presume you have the cam signal going to the MS3x card. It also has to be configured for the type of input you are supplying.
Its the normal 2 wire crank sensor that ford uses on most of their V6's. The cam sensor looks just like it although it only has 1 tooth on the camshaft instead of a bunch. For adjusting the pots I turned them both all the way counterclockwise.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I looked at your msq. TFI signiture PIP is only an option if you are using a TFI signiture pip distributor for input. One long tooth and 5 shorter, AFAIK. That would be at odds with your 36-1 ckp and 1 cmp input you are set up for.
Cheers Luke
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:I looked at your msq. TFI signiture PIP is only an option if you are using a TFI signiture pip distributor for input. One long tooth and 5 shorter, AFAIK. That would be at odds with your 36-1 ckp and 1 cmp input you are set up for.
none of those settings make a difference in getting it to sync. I had it set exactly as I needed it and nothing was working. that's the problem. its like the circuit is dead unless I plug the stim in with it set on basic trigger
I'm pretty sure this is how it needs to be set
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Are you jumpered, Tach Select to VR In?
Cheers Luke
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Are you jumpered, Tach Select to VR In?
the one just beside the MAP sensor yes
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

The soldering on the jumper from "Tsel" to "VRout" looks iffy, flow those two joints again. Do you know how to take a "tooth log"? I would like to see what is being detected, even it it isn't good enough to get sync.
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

billr wrote:The soldering on the jumper from "Tsel" to "VRout" looks iffy, flow those two joints again. Do you know how to take a "tooth log"? I would like to see what is being detected, even it it isn't good enough to get sync.
Its not picking anything up in the tooth log. I'm getting 0 signal while cranking the car
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Need to test that the VR signal is getting to the MS. If you disconnect the main DB37 connector and put a multimeter set to Vac (or Hz if you have it) across pin24 and pin1 you should see a voltage register when you crank the engine. It's a rough test, ideally you use a scope but this should show something getting through.
Cheers Luke
Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

Ok so that should be Vac and pin 1 and 24. I have no reading change different from a normal slight fluctuation of it not reading a source. I guess my sensor or wiring is bad?ImageImage

Rooster210
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rooster210 »

Swapped my crank and cam sensor out for two that were installed but never used. I have movement on the DMM now. Getting ready to hook everything back up and test a tooth count on it

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I hope you noticed the numbering on the female plug runs backwards. The photo shows your leads across pins 19 and 33.
Cheers Luke