Sequential Injection Function Troubleshooting Help Needed

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sequential Injection Function Troubleshooting Help Needed

Post by okubricko »

First of all, thanks for any help in advance.

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with sequential injection after a short circuit. Background. I have a MS2 v3.0 and have done the mods for sequential injection and ignition, using coil on plug. Prior to beginning to install the MS into my car I tested the functionality using a JimStim. I hooked the outputs of the ignition and injection to the JimStim and had both flashing sequentially. Fast forward to the point where I'm installing everything into my vehicle. I had all the sensors sending good signals to the MS2 and was able to fire the coils using the test function, but I wasn't able to get my injectors to fire. See the picture below. I was using that circuit to function as the injector driver. I'm using Hi-Z injectors.
Injector Circuit Short.JPG
If you look at the picture, I've shown where a +12v wire directly connected to the battery made contact with the wire the goes to the MS2 from the driver. I smelled that something had burned, but couldn't find anything on the MS2 that looked cooked.

Here is my issue. The MS2 seems to function correctly on the JimStim, all inputs work and the ignition outputs fire sequentially. The #3 and #4 injector outputs work correctly, but the output for the #1 and #2 don't. They have a voltage on them, but they do not fire, just constantly on. I've tried to figure this out, but hitting a wall. I appears that the signals should come directly from the processor on the MS2 daughter card to the output points on the board.

Is it possible that the daughterboard is fried or part of it? I would have thought the if a part went everything would have gone. I've reloaded the firmware to see if something was corrupted but nothing changed.

What would be the next troubleshooting steps? thanks.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Sequential Injection Function Troubleshooting Help Neede

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You mention that everything was working before but your message is not clear and you don't mention exactly what your set up is.

The outputs for inj1 and inj2 on the JimStim are not compatible with the sequential modifications unless you have removed the V3.0 injector driver components and reused the same output pins on the DB37 as the original driver with your new injector drivers.

Also, I assume you know that you cannot use the standard V3.0 drivers for inj1 and inj2 but need to build the same drivers as you use for inj3 and inj4. And you need to connect those new drivers to the correct place on the V3.0 board.

One more thing: your diagram shows R30 to be a 330 Ohm resistor. That is not a good value. You need to use 100k (or maybe 330k). And I don't understand what the red line means where you mention 12V short to the battery. If you have a 12V short there, you just destroyed your MS2.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

Jean, thanks for the reply.

My setup is as follows.
MS2, modded for sequential ignition and injection per the Meagasquirt msextra hardware manual and the instructions on your site. I had soldered 4 leads to the designated spots on the MS2 board; R32, R36, top of R23 and at R22 and am using four (4) external injection drivers one for each injectors. As you noted, my resistors weren't correct for the driver circuit and I couldn't get the injectors to fire.

I had attached leads from the logic level ignition outputs to the first four LEDs on the JimStim and had attached the leads from the Injection outputs to other four LEDs on the JimStim and could see each ignition and injection output fire normally.

During install and testing the the MS2, everything was working except the injectors. I was testing the individual injectors with a +12v lead from the battery and it made contact with the gate of one of the injection drivers.

I hooked the MS2 back to the JimStim, all inputs work, tach and cam signals are read , all four outputs for the logic level ignition work sequentially. The injection output from the top or R23 works sequentially, the injection output from the left of R22 work sequentially. But, the injection output from R36 and R32 do not work. There is a constant voltage on them, but the do not switch.

I know you say that +12v from shorting to a gate will have fried the MS2, but everything works on it except getting a switched signal from R36 and R32 for my injectors.

I followed the troubleshooting guide here >> https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... or-driver/ When I grounded the pins 21 and 22 the LEDs on the JimStim lit. From that I'd assume the board with working. But I would think none of that matters because the signal should come directly from the processor...?

Sorry for the long post, but trying to give enough information.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If 12V made contact with the gate of the one driver and the output no longer works, then you have fried this output. This most often fries the whole chip because it creates an internal short but it is possible that only that specific output is affected. In either case, the MS2 is no longer fully functional.

You can use the output test mode to turn on and off each injector output and measure the signal from the CPU. If you have one or more output that's not functional, you will need to replace the MS2 card or have it repaired with a new CPU (you need to have that done by someone who can reload the correct serial monitor).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

I was afraid that the daughterboard was damaged. Do you know of anyone here who does the repair?

What do you mean that they have to reload the correct serial monitor.

Would it be easiest, and quickest, to buy a new daughter board? Does anyone have a used board?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There are people who do repairs but that also depends on your location. Where in the world are you?
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

In the US, Ohio.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Try contacting Peter Florance. He's on this forum.

Jean
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

Jean, thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated.

I have contacted Peter and am waiting for a response. Can you elaborate at all about the serial monitor installation of the processor? If possible I would like to try to salvage the daughterboard myself and have a backup or a learning process at a minimum.

Thanks.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

First you need to successfully replace the processor with a new blank one.
Then you need to get the serial monitor, It is a specific MS monitor, the freescale one will not work.
Then you need to get a BDM programmer cable/module.
Then you need software to program the monitor.
Then follow the somewhat complicated instructions for programming, in the correct order, using the correct software settings for this chip and hope the stars and moon align.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

Sounds easy enough...lol