MS1 stopped working

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

emlclcy
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 stopped working

Post by emlclcy »

I did a bike conversion about 12 years ago and she's been running fine until the other day. The bike just cut out. I bought tuner studio a while back (never used it) and I can make connection to the MS and see the throttle position change and the fuel pump still switches on for about 2 seconds when the ignition is turned on so that seems to be ok. I'm not sure how I can test for tacho pulses tho during cranking.
It may even be ignition so I will check for sparks
thanks
carl
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 stopped working

Post by DaveEFI »

The RPM gauge on TS should read perhaps 150 rpm during cranking. But do a log of an attempted start and look at the results using MegaLogViewer. If you have no tach signal, MS won't inject or trigger the coil(s)
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
emlclcy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by emlclcy »

DaveEFI wrote:The RPM gauge on TS should read perhaps 150 rpm during cranking. But do a log of an attempted start and look at the results using MegaLogViewer. If you have no tach signal, MS won't inject or trigger the coil(s)
Hi Dave, i did a brief datalog of the bike cranking. i could not figure out how to see if i was getting cranking pulses. can you have a quick look?
i was twisting the throttle as you can see
cheers
carl
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

If you look at the RPM field, you'll see it shows 0 rpm - cranking should be say 150 rpm. So you apparently have no tach pulses. What is your sensor? A hall type is more likely to fail than a VR.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
emlclcy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by emlclcy »

DaveEFI wrote:If you look at the RPM field, you'll see it shows 0 rpm - cranking should be say 150 rpm. So you apparently have no tach pulses. What is your sensor? A hall type is more likely to fail than a VR.
mmm the plot thickens as I get a spark from one of the plug leads. The MS is triggered by the signal from the bike ecu to the rev counter
emlclcy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by emlclcy »

I've borrowed a scope from work so will see if its getting any tacho pulses