ms3 V3.0 build

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

joe_mamma
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3 V3.0 build

Post by joe_mamma »

Hello, Is there any drawback to building this unit with all the Q16 components? I'm building a turbocharged injected VW 1600 engine. I was thinking of using a different ignition system, possibly edis4, or may just keep original coil and distributor.
Thanks
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3 V3.0 build

Post by billr »

No disadvantage at all, unless you need that spot on the heat-sink bar for some mod. I always recommend installing that single-coil driver, it makes the build "standard" and more versatile for other uses than immediately intended; like using to help a friend troubleshoot a different car, or a new project you get into.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3 V3.0 build

Post by DaveEFI »

Many these days would use MS - rather than the EDIS module - for wasted spark. Which would mean adding coil drivers for the number of coils you need. Some might prefer to have those coil drivers together, rather that using the one on the V3 board. The coil driver position on the V3 board can be a good place to fit a high current idle valve driver.
It makes a great deal of sense to get rid of that distributor, though.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.