MS2 V3 trouble with laptop/potentially the MS

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Lawrencemicramini
MS/Extra Newbie

MS2 V3 trouble with laptop/potentially the MS

Post by Lawrencemicramini »

Good evening guys.
Im new when it comes to megasquirt however have read around the topic considerably and have used megajolt successfully in the past.

Ive got some issues with my current setup unfortunately. I have attached photos to be referred to if need be

Unit was bought second hand a few years back from eBay.

Currently I can't connect it to my Mac at all. Mac side of things I've got the serial to usb driver installed and checked it using terminal so I'm happy there. I've also continuity checked between the cable and ms. Power is getting to the board and its earthed also.

I've power checked it on the 12v as well as the 5v areas using this guide apart from being unable to find s12.

"You should find the same voltage as the battery voltage on the following points: S12, S12C, the center legs of Q9 and Q12, the left (non-banded) end of D3, the left leg of U5, and the left (banded) end of D9.
You should have 5 volts at the following points: S5, the two +5V holes in the proto area, the right (non-banded) end of D9, the right leg of U5, the left (banded) end of D19, and pins 1, 20, and 31 of the CPU."

in addition to this the squirt when I got it had a coil mod done to it (you can see in the photos) I have removed the wiring to this mod where it solders to the board and converted it to run EDIS (like when I ran edis on jolt) it also has msns_extra daughter board v2 wired in.

Has anyone got suggestions on where I go from here as I'm completely stuck now. Thinking of getting a bluetooth adaptor to work around the usb serial one if that makes a difference
Lawrence
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 V3 trouble with laptop/potentially the MS

Post by billr »

S12 is in your first picture, right under (unused) R57; to the left of the heat-shrink that bundles the ORG, WHT, & BLK wires from the added TIP122.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

And that's an MS1 V3.0 not an MS2
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

prof315 wrote:And that's an MS1 V3.0 not an MS2
Yup............
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Lawrencemicramini
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Lawrencemicramini »

Cheers for the replys guys, much appreciated.

I realised as soon as I posted it that my title was wrong. And the reason it wouldn't link to my laptop was that I was trying to flash the wrong firmware.

So downloaded the correct one, flashed it across with my old Sony (as there is no mac stuff I can find for ms1) then I thought I'd see if my mac can pick it up.

Luckily it can so this means I can tune in my car without charging cables etc as my old Sony has no working battery!

So I am good, Ecu works and I'm a happy chap

Thankyou
Lawrence