Switched 12v to Injectors

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Stingy49
MS/Extra Newbie

Switched 12v to Injectors

Post by Stingy49 »

Hey all,
I'm building up my ms3 with an ms3x for my stock ka24e. I was wondering why the injectors need switched 12v when they are being controlled by the ms3x? The fets used on the ms3x have a 70v drain-source clamp which is well above 12v so it doesn't seem like an issue to me. Is there something I am missing? I would prefer to leave the injectors hooked up to constant 12v so I don't have to modify the stock wiring harness. Thanks for any input y'all have.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Switched 12v to Injectors

Post by grom_e30 »

if its powered of a constant feed you may find the 12v is back fed through the ecu preventing it from powering down when you turn the key off.

this goes for all things the ecu is controlling switched 12v is the way to go
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Stingy49 wrote:Hey all,
I'm building up my ms3 with an ms3x for my stock ka24e. I was wondering why the injectors need switched 12v when they are being controlled by the ms3x? The fets used on the ms3x have a 70v drain-source clamp which is well above 12v so it doesn't seem like an issue to me. Is there something I am missing? I would prefer to leave the injectors hooked up to constant 12v so I don't have to modify the stock wiring harness. Thanks for any input y'all have.
Your stock harness has 12v to the injectors at all times? Never seen that. They are usually switched via the ignition switch (and maybe a relay etc), same as other engine electrics.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I'm with Dave on this!! I've never heard of such a thing.

What make and year? I'd like to look at the schematics.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Stingy49
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Stingy49 »

Thanks for all the replies!

The car is a 1989 Nissan 240sx with the ka24e motor. You can see how it is wired in the snip from the FSM I've included. Sorry about the low quality image, the pdf it's from isn't the best quality. http://i.imgur.com/xcbhziR.png. It's definitely an uncommon setup from what I can tell.

Also, I asked one of the EE's at work and they were explaining to me that the mosfets used to control the injectors can be turned on by the fluctuations in the 12v line while the motor is cranking. The source and drain pins are capacitively coupled which means that those fluctuations can bring the gate voltage high enough to turn on the fet.

I was hoping to avoid cutting up the stock harness but it looks like that is unavoidable :( . Thanks again for the advice.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Interesting - never seen that arrangement before.

I'd do all the power side by the wiring diagrams given in the manuals linked to from this site. No point in guessing things might be OK. I do often start off with a stock harness as a basis - but they always needs quite a bit of modification. Perhaps get one used - if you want the ability to swap back to the original injection easily.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you verified that schematic? All manuals have some errors in them...
Stingy49
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Stingy49 »

billr wrote:Have you verified that schematic? All manuals have some errors in them...

Checking that tonight :D
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

I've never seen a Nissan that DIDN'T have the 12V switched to the injectors.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
Stingy49
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Stingy49 »

I checked today after work and the injectors have 12v relative to the neg terminal even while there is no key in the ignition.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

That's just a bad idea overall.

Even though you don't want to change it, it'll be safer in the end to change it.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Stingy49 wrote:I checked today after work and the injectors have 12v relative to the neg terminal even while there is no key in the ignition.
Yep. You can get away with this with the MS3X injector drivers, but not with the main board drivers. Why Nissan ever did this is beyond me.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X