Over Heating Issue?

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

72bluetr6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Over Heating Issue?

Post by 72bluetr6 »

I live in Sacramento, CA, where it can get hot in the Summer. I have a 72 TR6 roadster and MS3x controls the fuel injection and ignition through EDIS. It is also supercharged with an Eaton M62 Gen II. No air conditioning on older British converables, so on 105 degree F days the MS3 sitting above passengers feet is probably 105F. While logging data to Tuner Studio I have had no problems for the last three years. But twice now, when I finally ventured out to drive in that hot hot weather, I have lost the connection between the PC and MS3. MS3 continues to control the car excellently, only the connection to the PC fully drops. In the evening when it cooled down, the connection is back to normal. IAT runs about130F underhood and MAT measured between supercharger and the valves in the airbox reads about 145F in typical driving in hot hot conditions. I am thinking that temps inside the MS3 box, or PC notebook temps get too high and "something" causes a halt to data transfer. I notice that the MS3 box is airtight- should it have some air vents? Internal fans come on in the PC when internals heat up a bit. Does the MS3 need a small cooling fan and vent holes? Anyone else have these issues? Attached is log file, and you can see red lines where it dropped once, returned, then dropped out fully at end.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Over Heating Issue?

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you using the USB connection or a built in serial port?

The box typically shouldn't need cooling, unless you bolted it directly to the supercharger.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
72bluetr6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 72bluetr6 »

Thanks for the reply. Am using a heavy duty 2ft long USB cable. MS3 attached to a shelf above passengers feet. Several drives recently in cooler weather, records data fine when not overly hot weather.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

72bluetr6 wrote:Am using a heavy duty 2ft long USB cable.
I certainly would be suspicious of that. Everything I have read seems to discourage the use of usb cables. Particularly long ones!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
72bluetr6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 72bluetr6 »

Easy to try another cable. Looks like I'ill have to wait awhile though - wont get hot enough here for awhile.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

FYI: My USB cable is 4' long, no problems. Not much over 80F around the MS, though.
72bluetr6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 72bluetr6 »

Bill, yes, the cable I have has worked fine for about five years now. It is only when temps get really hot here that I have had this issue. - And I rarely drive when it is hot hot, only I wanted to check out car functions at high ambient temps. (Car does fine- even a long idle and accelerations with supercharger working max. boost -but I need a wet towel around my neck!) I have to rule out my notebook port cutting out, too.