More MS2/3 kit issues

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

retired
Helpful MS/Extra'er

More MS2/3 kit issues

Post by retired »

Building one from a DIYAutotune full kit for a friend....

Since this - http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 32&t=66656 - where the heat sink is the wrong thickness, I've now got around to soldering bits and so far discovered,

L1, L2, wrong length, leads have to be bent underneath, easy way to break the ferrite core.

C16, C17, wrong lead spacing, 0.1" instead of 0.2". Best way to ensure a tantalum fails is to crack the epoxy coating by stretching their leads to double the design and letting moisture in (and don't tell me there is no moisture in an automotive environment).

That's just so far, I've only just started with the PSU parts.

Luckily (for the person I'm assembling it for) I have 3mm heat sink strip, the originally specified chokes of the correct length, and 35V tantalums with the correct lead spacing (I believe the change to 35V is the relevant issue), all my own parts being sourced in the UK and as per the original quoted BOM (apart from the update to 35V which I understand).

I wonder what I'm going to find next.
Classic Mini "A" series 5 port 1360 turbo
MS2-E fully sequential siamese code
14point7 SLC widebands, inner and outer cylinders and after turbo
digital AFR data and digital displays via Tiny-IOx
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: More MS2/3 kit issues

Post by billr »

I can understand that a novice might be concerned about bending component leads, but it is a safe and widely accepted practice in the electronics industry. You just need to use the right tools and procedures. In essence, you want to use small pliers or such on the inboard side of the lead, so bending the lead puts no strain on the lead as it enters the component body. Supplying components that may vary slightly is a necessity to ensure timely supply of the low-cost MS kits.
retired
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: More MS2/3 kit issues

Post by retired »

billr wrote:I can understand that a novice might be concerned about bending component leads, but it is a safe and widely accepted practice in the electronics industry. You just need to use the right tools and procedures. In essence, you want to use small pliers or such on the inboard side of the lead, so bending the lead puts no strain on the lead as it enters the component body. Supplying components that may vary slightly is a necessity to ensure timely supply of the low-cost MS kits.
Hmmm....

I don't think I'm a novice and if you think it's normal practice to bodge the wrong size parts to fit I'm glad I don't work in your part of the "electronics industry".
Have you actually seen the difference between a 0.1" and a 0.2" tantalum capacitor ???
I guess not.
I just pity the novices you are giving such advice to.

So where are the instructions in all James's documentation to start bending leads with all your "proper" tools to deal with the fact the wrong part has been supplied ???

All the correct parts are readily available from any of the USA or UK suppliers and, in the UK, the correct parts are actually cheaper......

I just pity the novices who get the crap I was given and who assume it must be right because they don't know any better.

But you obviously know better than me.
Classic Mini "A" series 5 port 1360 turbo
MS2-E fully sequential siamese code
14point7 SLC widebands, inner and outer cylinders and after turbo
digital AFR data and digital displays via Tiny-IOx