Introducing RealDash

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Introducing RealDash

Post by janimm »

hiltonlo05 wrote: I take it due to Apple being difficult with using Bluetooth that wifi will remain the only option?
True. Apple does not allow generic bt-serial adapters to connect their devices. There are some BLE solutions, but RealDash currently only supports wifi with iOS.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I'm the official wifi module supplier of real dash if you need one.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

Suprazz wrote:I'm the official wifi module supplier of real dash if you need one.
Well I just bought the Bluetooth module so I hate give up on that route. Out of curiosity, how much does the wifi module cost?
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

60 usd
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

RealDash 1.0.7 is out.

New features:
* Added support for multiple user profiles.
* The seldomly used "Where is my car" button has been moved to settings and replaced with "User Profiles" button.
* Map tile provider has been changed into openstreetmap.org.
* The body module input mapping has completely new user interface.
* Added experimental data broadcast over wifi p2p (Android only).
* Added new calculated value: Engine runtime total (hrs).

The wifi P2P data broadcasting allows easy multiscreen setups. Just enable "Data Broadcast" settings toggle on each device you want to use, and RealDash instances will connect to each other automatically. Data broadcasting is experimental. We have been able to connect 4 devices simultaneusly, and data broadcast has been working pretty reliable WHEN devices are connected. But there has been problems when searching and connecting devices. Sometimes it takes a long time to find/connect, and sometimes connect fails completely. Clearing wifi P2P groups from Android settings usually helps when devices do not connect. We will continue improving this feature. Let us know if this is something you use, and if it works for you.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

* Added support for multiple user profiles.
this is exactly what i needed so far looks good
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
63Falcon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 63Falcon »

Great looking dash.

I am trying to get it working on Android using a Galaxy Note 4, but it will not connect through the USB. I can connect fine with MSDroid, but really want to use RealDash with the Note 4 and a 7" tablet using your new features. Thanks for any help. Once I get it connecting I will be buying the pro version for sure.

Thanks,
Ron
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

63Falcon wrote:but it will not connect through the USB
Are you connecting directly to MS3 usb port, or are you using USB-serial adapter? If you are using adapter, only FTDI chipset adapters are currently supported. You may have an adapter that has a different chipset (profilic).

And double check Settings->Data connection that you have "FTDI serial" selected, and baud rate is set to 115200.
63Falcon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 63Falcon »

I am using a USB to serial with a Microsquirt. I will check after work whether it is prolific or FTDI. I am guessing that is the problem. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
63Falcon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 63Falcon »

Getting the correct chipset adapter fixed my problem. Connecting great now through the USB on my phone and then using the wifi feature to connect with a 7" tablet.

Do you have to purchase a copy for each device or with one purchase cover a certain amount of devices? I have purchased for my phone, but not the tablet yet.

Is there a resource for downloading custom gauge art?

Thanks,
Ron
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

The purchase of the full version is tied to your google account. There is no limit of how many devices you use as long as all devices use same google account you purchased the full version with.

For creating your own dashboards, I recommend you use our Windows editor to create the dashboard file, and then transfer it into your android device. All our example dashboard graphics are available for download, those will get you started.

Windows editor and example graphics pack dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fa1r6xigbezd ... tqaWa?dl=0
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

RealDash with our testmule 'Cuda on standing mile. Got personal record and wanted to share :)

https://youtu.be/ACcJx-O0eZM
Mrstoks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mrstoks »

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is the 'SPLeinonen body module'? I understand it can be used to control I/O via RealDash, but is it a standalone hardware module or is it a software module that works via Megasquirt hardware? Or both? Thanks
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Its not a stupid question at all. I don't think I ever explained it properly.

First version of SP Leinonen body module will be available as "PDSX-1", so I will refer it as that from now on. We will introduce this system to public with RealDash in Lahti car show 1st and 2nd of October. By then, we should have better materials to show what this system is about.

The PDSX-1 is a series of computer controlled modules. In our 'Cuda, the setup has 3 modules and additional input box.

- The "Master" module and extra input box are in glove compartment
- The "Slave1" module is in engine bay
- The "Slave2" module is in trunk

Master and input box has 11 digital and 6 analog inputs (5 free, one is used for internal temperature monitoring) that can be used for grounding switches and sensors. Also, each module has twelve 12v outputs and 5 available inputs.

The "trick" here is that all these modules are connected to each other only by data cable. There is no "copper" running from cabin to trunk or engine bay. The Master module has mapping of which input activates which outputs, and commands to activate outputs are transfered thru data connection between modules. This allows super easy and clean installation, since there is no need to run "hard copper" from dashboard to trunk etc. For example in our 'Cuda, the Slave2 module provides voltage to rear lights, fuel pumps, and everything else needed in back of the car. Only short wiring from module to accessories is needed.

Also, the PDSX-1 can be configured to handle large amounts of current. There is no need for external relays or fuses, since PDSX-1 modules handle disconnecting the output in overcurrent. In 'Cuda setup, PDSX-1 outputs handle engine fans and fuel pumps without problems, and 'Cuda has two 40+ amp (startup current) cooling fans.

If more outputs are needed, just add "Slave3" module into data cable with t-connector. Also, system can be run with Master module only if its inputs/outputs are sufficient.

The PDSX-1 system connects to RealDash with its own bluetooth connection although PDSX-1 does not require RealDash to run, and vice versa. All input/output mapping can be done easily from RealDash. Just tap the input and tap the outputs you want to activate for that input. You can also specify virtual inputs to activate outputs from RealDash, and set AND/OR conditions to inputs. Naturally RealDash can display the status of any input/output.

Hope this clarifies a bit what this is about. Please, feel free to ask for more info.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

what are the system requirements to run this on an android device? as i have a 7" windows based tablet with a intel bay trail cpu that i have set up for dual boot with android and win10 but i cannot install real dash through google play as it complains about being incompatible with the device.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

grom_e30 wrote:what are the system requirements to run this on an android device?
Bay trail/Atom is a x86 processor, right? I think we have build settings for ARM architecture only.

I'm just about to make a 1.0.8 release, and I don't want to mess with that since we used quite some time to test it. I will check this for next sprint, ok?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

Bay trail/Atom is a x86 processor, right?
it is indeed, if you could add support for this at some stage that would be great.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

Hi there,

wanted to say this long time ago, but i didn't have much time for the bike or further tests.
I couldnt test the laptimer back then, because i had a few problems with the bike on the racetrack.
And i needed all values in the datalog, so i had to use SD back then.
The GPS (Qstarz) also made some problems, dont know why. (Not a problem of the App)

But i just updated to the new version. Maybe i can do some further tests.
The new Datalogging Setting looks really good.

There are still some things:

1) Its not possible to import both .ini's - As you know in TS 3.0 you also have the mainController.ini and the custom.ini
But i can only import one of both. And the custom.ini alone wasn't working too.
So the custom values are missing.

2) There are a few Status fields missing. For example i use always "CAM Fault" indicator on Shadow Dash.
But those portlog field are not available in RealDash.
And i'm not sure how to make indicators with On/Off image.
Furthermore i wasn't able to set indicators for special Ports. For example i got switches for some functions.
On TunerStudio and ShadowDash i have On/Off Images for the portstatus i want to see. For example porte0 active ...

3) Thats not so important, but maybe its possible to make that green background colour for the menue adjustable?

4) Is it possible to add a search function for all the variables? Sometimes you have to search very long till you find a variable.
Or maybe to group them like its done in the maincontroller.ini
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Speedy_G wrote:1) Its not possible to import both .ini's
For sure. That has been on my todo list for some time. I just have postponed it since there has been no requests for it.
Speedy_G wrote:2) There are a few Status fields missing. For example i use always "CAM Fault" indicator on Shadow Dash. But those portlog field are not available in RealDash.
CAM Fault is one CEL code in MS3. Value is contained in 'cel_status' variable as a bit mask. Right now RealDash cannot display separate CEL codes in dashboard, only generic check engine light, or number of error codes present. Although RealDash can read error codes with a dashboard button and show active codes in readable form. I will think about how to make this available.
Speedy_G wrote:And i'm not sure how to make indicators with On/Off image.
Any on/off (or bitmask) value in RealDash has value range of 0.0 to 1.0. 0.0=off, 1.0=on. To create indicator:
* Create new gauge (image, text, etc)
* Assign it into on/off variable from "Input&Values". Set range to 0.0 - 1.0. Set warning level to 0.0 - 0.3, and set critical level to 0.0 - 0.6 (these should be defaults)
* Select gauge and tap "Look & Feel"
* In "Images" section you can select different image for each level: normal, warning, and critical. Set image for normal level as indicator OFF, and select different image for warning and critical levels as indicator ON.
* You can also use only one image for indicator, and use same technique in "Colors" section of Look & Feel. Set different image blend color for levels, and your indicator image will change color as its status changes.
* With text gauge you can do the same with text color.
* You can also set blend or text color to completely transparent when in normal level to make indicator appear only when input value is ON.
Speedy_G wrote:3) Thats not so important, but maybe its possible to make that green background colour for the menue adjustable?
In our design phase we had an idea that UI color scheme could be changed to whatever user wants. All the code to do that is in the app, there is just no UI to do it. You are first one to request this, so I'll take a look of it.
Speedy_G wrote:4) Is it possible to add a search function for all the variables?
I agree. Especially the "Megasquirt imported" category can be very long with MS3. It needs search, or better sub-categories.
Last edited by janimm on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

- 1.0.8 released 9.9.2016

New features:
* Any gauge can now be set to display min/max value over last second.
* Graph gauge has option to display min/max values.
* Added edit context menu item "Size and position->Fullscreen".
* SP Leinonen body module renamed to product name PDSX-1.
* PDSX-1 values divided into input and output categories.
* The "Look & Feel" user interface has been re-designed and some bling added.
* The additive blend mode can now be selected for any gauge.
* Added option to draw gauge images flipped horizontal or vertical.
* Map zooming is now step-less.
* Map can be zoomed with "pinch" gesture.
* Added option to align text on button gauge.
* Multiline text is now an option on button gauge.
* Added new leaderboard: Longest trip.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed broken Megasquirt 1 support. Note: the ini file MUST be set into settings for MS1 to work. Only currently available 'extra' firmwares are tested.
* Pasting a gauge did not update gauge list.
* Gauge list did not update when changing gauge draw order.
* Gear indicator text gauge now shows 'N' instead of '0'.
* Fixed bug that prevented burning PDSX-1 IO maps when no special input statuses were set.
* Fixed bug that draw irrelevant info to lap timer individual components.
* Map gauge can now cast shadow.
* Needle gauge custom shadow map fixed.
* Arc gauge angle preview showed incorrect result when gauge was set to "Counter clockwise".