MSLogger available on Android Market

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSLogger available on Android Market

Post by scudderfish »

I've just posted to the Android Market, my MS logging application. It connects over a Bluetooth link, captures MSL files with GPS info and emails them to you. It's aimed at MS1Extra and MS2Extra right now, but I aim to support MS3 in the near future. It is split into two apps. The first free one just checks that every thing works as it should. The paid app (£3) has unlimited logging.

Home page

Connection checker on the Android Market

Regards,
Dave
Last edited by scudderfish on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSDroid More than just a dashboard.

Do you like the application? Make a donation to Cancer Research UK on our behalf http://www.justgiving.com/MSDroid/
BenGTT
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MSLogger available on Android Market

Post by BenGTT »

Nice work :)

Do you have any recommandations for the bluetooth hardware ?
shadowplane676
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by shadowplane676 »

no provisions for connecting through a native USB port on an android device to the MS?
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

There are a couple of BT adapters known to work listed at http://www.mslogger.co.uk/adapters.html. I intend to extend that page as more people report success. USB would be nice, but it can't be done on most Android devices without hardware that isn't readily available. Stock android doesn't ship with USB serial drivers and the USB port is generally only as a device not a host unfortunately. I wish it was different.

Regards,
Dave

Do you like the application? Make a donation to Cancer Research UK on our behalf http://www.justgiving.com/MSDroid/
shadowplane676
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by shadowplane676 »

ok, that makes sense. wasn't sure if the serial usability was ported or not.

Any idea if this type of mini bluetooth transceiver can be adapted to stay INSIDE the MS case for a semi-permanent wireless option?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-4-pin-Bl ... 45fd6fc576
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

When I was asking around for beta testers, I was contacted by someone who had internally fitted something like that. Range wasn't great due to the metal case, but it apparently worked well enough.

Regards,
Dave

jnovak
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jnovak »

Bummer. My phone and tablet are both running 2.1. I guess the Bluetooth-serial adapter is going back.
squirting old Porsches one at a time
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

I haven't tried your App (I have MS3) but I've used blueterm to connect sucessfully to my MS3 and MS2 with a firefly bluetooth/serial port.
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

MS3 is next on my to-do list. If you could send me an example FRD binary log file and an MSQ config file I'll be able to crack on with it.

Regards,
Dave

skipstr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by skipstr »

Hi,
I've downloaded the connection app. I can pair the firefly bluetooth adapter to the phone(droid bionic) but when the app tries to connect to ms, it says"connection lost". It continues in the loop of trying to connect, verify, disconnect. I'm running ms1 hi-res 10g so I assume that is the issue. The firefly adapter connects fine to tuner studio on my netbook. Pretty cool app. Wish I could get it working.
Skip
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

It probably doesn't recognise the signature of the firmware. There should be a new directory on your SD card called 'MSLogger Connection Checker' ( a bug that it ignores the settings in the preference right now). If you could e-mail me all the .log files in there, and a copy of the INI file you use for your MS, I'll see what I can do for the next version. My email address is scudderfish@mslogger.co.uk

Regards,
Dave

wicked93gs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wicked93gs »

No offense, while I am sure its a neat app, why is this in the tuner studio section? To me it seems like a direct attempt to undercut TS.
1977 Toyota Celica liftback GT
2.4L Dodge/Mitsubishi 424A engine swap
MS3x firmware v1.0.0

1987 Merkur XR4Ti
16valve Volvo Head conversion
MS2 extra and HE351ve turbo...work in progress
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

To me it seems like a direct attempt to undercut TS.
No Don't think that..
Dave pinged me a while back that he was writing this. We looked at combining out efforts, but they were both far enough along we left it for now.
Actually Dave is one of the few people that has actually run my Logging app, I sent it to him about 6 weeks ago. It really hasn't changed much since then, but the web site is up and I think i am about to put it out for beta testing.

I agree there will need to be a new forum for these apps though. The traffic for this is likely to increase a good deal.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Kemp3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kemp3 »

Does anyone have any other bluetooth success options ?
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

LT401Vette wrote:
To me it seems like a direct attempt to undercut TS.
No Don't think that..
Dave pinged me a while back that he was writing this. We looked at combining out efforts, but they were both far enough along we left it for now.
Actually Dave is one of the few people that has actually run my Logging app, I sent it to him about 6 weeks ago. It really hasn't changed much since then, but the web site is up and I think i am about to put it out for beta testing.

I agree there will need to be a new forum for these apps though. The traffic for this is likely to increase a good deal.
Thanks Phil :)

I put it here as there isn't a general forum for other software. I see it as a companion to TS, not a competitor. I only capture logs, you then need to use MegaLogViewer if you want to generate map updates from them, and TS to load them back into the ECU. I wrote it to scratch an itch I had and threw it on the Market on the off chance that other people might find it useful. I charge a small amount for it to hopefully raise enough money to take my wife out for dinner to say sorry for all the evenings that she didn't see me whilst I was writing it. I'm got a long way to go before I reach that target :)

Regards,
Dave

Joe Clark
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joe Clark »

I really like the idea of this,

Personally I prefer to tune from logs, and having to take a laptop everywhere is a bit of a PITA, so as above if I can grab a log on the phone at my convineience and tune it when I'm home on MLV thats a great improvement!

I know theres been talk of TS on android, and if it does happen i cant see it being the full version due to screen size ect, but from my point of view it would be great to have the ability to change stuff using the phone such as boost maps, idle stuff, rev limiter, launch control, If I had that I'd be happy not to have access to things like ve maps and engine constants.

BTW Ive jsut ordered an android and some bluetooth stuff, so will be having a try of the app shortly.

Also I just had a thought, it would be really cool if the MS could grab a tune from the phone, so you up load a tune file to the phone that you've edited in MLV, and when the phone connects to the MS it burns it, maybe not possible though.
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

Joe Clark wrote:I really like the idea of this,

Personally I prefer to tune from logs, and having to take a laptop everywhere is a bit of a PITA, so as above if I can grab a log on the phone at my convineience and tune it when I'm home on MLV thats a great improvement!

I know theres been talk of TS on android, and if it does happen i cant see it being the full version due to screen size ect, but from my point of view it would be great to have the ability to change stuff using the phone such as boost maps, idle stuff, rev limiter, launch control, If I had that I'd be happy not to have access to things like ve maps and engine constants.

BTW Ive jsut ordered an android and some bluetooth stuff, so will be having a try of the app shortly.

Also I just had a thought, it would be really cool if the MS could grab a tune from the phone, so you up load a tune file to the phone that you've edited in MLV, and when the phone connects to the MS it burns it, maybe not possible though.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a think about using the phone to apply a tune. I don't know yet the best way of getting it on there, but I'd see the phone storing more than one (always have a backup :)) and then applying a chosen one from a list. A feature for MSLogger 4.0 I think.

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

skipstr wrote:Hi,
I've downloaded the connection app. I can pair the firefly bluetooth adapter to the phone(droid bionic) but when the app tries to connect to ms, it says"connection lost". It continues in the loop of trying to connect, verify, disconnect. I'm running ms1 hi-res 10g so I assume that is the issue. The firefly adapter connects fine to tuner studio on my netbook. Pretty cool app. Wish I could get it working.
Skip

I've just pushed MSLogger 3.5 to the Market which supports MS1Extra HiRes.

Regards,
Dave

wicked93gs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wicked93gs »

alright, thats clarified then...I'll give it a try once you get MS3 functionality
1977 Toyota Celica liftback GT
2.4L Dodge/Mitsubishi 424A engine swap
MS3x firmware v1.0.0

1987 Merkur XR4Ti
16valve Volvo Head conversion
MS2 extra and HE351ve turbo...work in progress
Nitrobanshee
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nitrobanshee »

Thanks everybody involved, The andriod/MS solution is coming alive. I would like to thank everyone involved in making this happen. Data logging on a turbo yamaha banshee was a big pain, now it should be much better.

Im still waiting on my BT adaptor to show up but it should be here in a day or two.
1995 Nissan Pickup truck running Megasquirt V2.2 MSII 2.88 EDIS with a turbo.
Dyno #s 354WHP 381 Foot pounds 20 Pounds of Boost.
KA24E-t Power