msDroid Issues?

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: msDroid Issues?

Post by Trev16v »

swifty wrote:hi trev im now looking at getting a bluetooth dongle to do this with a little confused with setting up the braud but sure ill work it out will the app be updated with launch control and rev limit adjustments as these will be very useful for me for changing setups when out depending on traction etc cheers matt
Hiya Swifty,

It's on Google Play now and already provides all of the tuning dialogs for MS1/MS2 that are defined in the .ini files (I haven't put the MS3-specific stuff I've worked on in a release yet). There are things missing and non-functional but it shows where I'm going with it.

I'll get around to doing a proper launch thread for it when I get a chance!

Click 'ere:

Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Kristof
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kristof »

Hi Trev,

I took a quick look on msDroid on my DesireHD and I am impressed. :o
Congratulations, very good work!

Couldn't test it connected at the moment because I'm using MS3 now.
So I am looking forward for MS3 compatibility.
1uz_nissan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uz_nissan »

Yes please, MS3!
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Many thanks, 1uz_nissan and Kristof. All feedback is hugely appreciated. This has been a massive effort to do with almost two years' work behind it so it's good to get it out there on Play at last. Please feel free to offer thoughts / ideas and let me know which bits to focus on first.

I could do with another few more evenings before merging in and releasing the MS3-specific tuning and SD support. In the meantime though the version on Play already parses the MS3 INI files just fine, so if you take the exact INI file for the version of MS3 you're using and add it into the msdroid/ini directory on your device's external storage (which on some devices of course actually means internal storage) then you will find that at least the dashboard will work (gauges, etc).

Kristof
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kristof »

Thanks for the hint, I tested today with my MS3 and the gauges are working perfect!

There is on small issue I noticed: GPS is not turned off correctly when leaving msdroid.
You can see it run in the status bar.
It quits when I end the task msdroid manually.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

That's awesome that adding the correct .ini gave you working gauges! That's a good start. I'll do my best to get the MS3 support for tuning menus / logging / log viewing as soon as I can.

swifty
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by swifty »

Yer it looks great and very useful good job mate will the new update have the ability to change launch control and rev limits cheers
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Hi swifty, good news is yes. That's all virtually done. In fact the version on Play at the moment has got the tuning menus, table and curve editors but that release was at an early stage and it's quite broken. What I have now is lightyears more progressed, but I'll need a bit of time before I am confident to push an update. Thanks again for your kind words and feedback!

aut0m4tic1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aut0m4tic1 »

Trev:
I'm using a samsung Galaxy S 4G with an ebay BT adapter. I can connect to shadow logger and shadow dash, so I'm confident that the BT is configured correctly. When I try and connect it hangs at reading the signature. I put the megasquirt-ii.ms2extra.ini in the msdroid ini file and it still will not work. I tried deleting other ini files until the program would no longer load and I had to re-install it. I'm using the latest stable release (3.2.1) in a DIYPNP. Any help would be appreciated.
Cory
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Can you make the instalation files available from another source than google play? I'm getting download issues trying to install in a tablet connected through wifi to google play. In another phone (china S3 clone) the google play app is in chinese, wich is useless to me, but this phone has a good dual processor and I would like to test with MSDroid.
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

aut0m4tic1 - OK, I'll take a look at that. Apologies for that issue. What's the specific signature in the .ini file you're using?

piubrazil - Later today I'll put the last .apk I pushed to Google Play onto www.msdroid.com for you. I'll send you a PM when it's up there.

piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Thanks Trevor!!!
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

0.1a7 is now at http://www.msdroid.com/builds/ for you.

I keep trying and trying to get the next release ready to push together with a proper launch thread for this, which I'm eager to do as it has really come on a long way. But real life and family compete so bear with me! :)

aut0m4tic1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aut0m4tic1 »

Got it working, turned out my ini was corrupted on the way to my phone.
Great program!!
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Excellent, that's great news! Thank you again for the kind words.

aut0m4tic1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aut0m4tic1 »

Just wondering, are you going to include a "Read ECU" feature? I tried to copy my settings over using msDroid and could not quite get the car to run right. I run sequential injection, and couldn't get everything to transfer correctly to the MS, but it does change the tune.
Another great feature would be to enter numbers in the tables directly instead of incremental by 1 each time. Not sure what you have in the works, just my $0.02
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Thanks again - it's great to hear back from people using it. The tuning facilities in 0.1a7 was my first attempt and a bit too primitive and buggy to be practically used, but a lot of further work and fixes have gone in now, so when the next release is pushed out (hopefully a few days) please let me know how you get on. I'll also certainly put in the numerical entry facility for you for the table editor - thank you for your suggestion. I was kind of not really sure which people would prefer.

When you say a feature to read the ECU, do you mean reading in of all tuning constants when it connects? It does do this already after connecting, but it could be that the tuning pages aren't reflecting the data properly due to some issues in 0.1a7 that now have fixes ready. Import / export of MSQ is in there, though needs a couple more evenings' worth of twidding to complete I think.

(I also fixed the broken handing of the INI file not being found tonight, thanks to you pointing out that it was hanging.)

aut0m4tic1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aut0m4tic1 »

By read ecu, I did mean for it to list all the tuning constants. If its already there, but not showing then I'll be happy to upgrade as soon as you release another version again.
A folder for storing tune files would be great also. I know that you could go on forever with upgrades and additional features, so I'll just be happy with it as it progresses and develops.
Thanks
Cory
aut0m4tic1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aut0m4tic1 »

Trev:
Using version a7 I noticed that while using gslender2.8 firmware a bunch of the tuning paramaters are empty, all the others are blank (not read from the ecu), but the newer ms3 like menus dont exist. Ill get you a list tonite. Also when I left only 2 series in the log viewer it worked great. When I added a 3rd series to the 2nd division I get a force closed message and can no longer view any logs to be able to delete the series.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Tonight I've just pushed a new alpha build to Google Play (0.1a8) which contains far further development of tuning pages. The MS3 support is in there now as well. I've put a lot of effort into making the tuning dialogues look particularly groovy on a tablet in landscape mode, but it equally well supports small mobile phone screens. Landscape layout gives you a nice split screen while portrait / small screen gives switches between the main menu and individual dialogues. See what you think. There is still a lot more work needed with regards to the tuning UI (for instance I'm aware of it being occasionally sluggish, plus on MS3 I believe a few submenus still cause a crash, and due to the complexity of MS3 dialogues, some of it still looks a bit disorganised. Plus the table and curve editors still need refinement). But... you can see where I'm heading with it. It's still considered alpha software because I know there are many quirks still to be ironed out.

I chucked in a couple of new SVG gauge designs as well. The potential to create all sorts of very nice dashboard gauges and widgets is there, and they will come - but it's just a matter of finding the time to sit down with Inkscape and start authoring some new ones. (If anyone reading this fancies helping to design some guages and widgets for msDroid, send me a PM. In basic terms it's a matter of grabbing a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Illustrator and creating an SVG file, and tagging various groups with appropriate IDs so that my SVG library can work with it.)