Android devices that support USB OTG

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Android devices that support USB OTG

Post by walterclark1 »

We have a couple threads regarding BT devices that work with Shadow Dash and msDroid but not much info has been consolidated regarding how well and which Android tablets, smartphones, etc. work when connected via USB. Support for the USB OTG such that the FTDI chip based USB-RS232 and the FTDI USB chip on the MS3 motherboard with Shadow Dash (and msDroid) is what is important in this case. Any other relevant observations on the ones that do work such as daylight readability, speed and ease of startup to displaying your dashboard might be helpful to others as well. Also, as was suggested by user scudderfish USB OTG listed as a feature in specs and descriptions might be a clue that it should work, although lacking it inclusion in documents doesnt mean its not there.

My experience so far:

The Eken GC10X does not work. It came with an OTG adapter cable and worked with USB memory devices like flashdrives as well as a USB mouse and Keyboard, but it did not recognize a USB device was connected when an FTDI USB chip was on the USB port. The documentation doesnt mention OTG support beyond the supplied adapter cable for flashdrives, mice, keyboards and joysticks. I got no help from the 'support' people at Micro Center on this and no response from the so-called support contact for Eken. I did receive a response from Phil Tobin who said he has had this experience with other Android devices - supporting a limited OTG capability. Too bad because it has a nice looking display, separate power jack and both a micro-B and standard USB jack. I read reviews that say it was slow on some video and game apps but I couldnt see how it might perform as a virtual dashboard. The fit and finish seemed way beyond what I would expect in a $63 (open box at Micro Center) 10" tablet.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon SCH-i545) with Android 4.3 DOES work. There is no mention of OTG in the User Manual. An OTG adapter (or shorting the micro B pins 4-5 on a custom USB cable) is needed but I have found this works with Shadow Dash and msDroid and either an FTDI USB-RS232 cable or directly into the MS3 standard USB A jack on the MS3. I cant comment yet on the reliability of the USB connection but the BT is rock solid when the MS end uses the adapter sold by EFI Analytics. An option during setup exists to have SD automatically start anytime the device it detects the presence of the USB device is nice. I havent tried the charge while connected as a host setup but I have read mixed reviews from 'works', to 'not' with low 'charge current only' in the middle of the reviews. When running with GPS and a few apps the S4 seems to need around 500ma to sustain its battery level.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Android devices that support USB OTG

Post by LT401Vette »

Some devices I work with regularly.
Acer A510 - USB Host works well.
Nexus 7 - USB Host works well.
HTC One - Great Phone BUT, USB Host mode does not work beyond using flash drives.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

The Iview TPC975 I use works well with BT and with USB on shadowdash and MSDroid. It does not have GPS but outside of that works well and connects without fail on either BT or USB . Downside is that it has to be charged via wallwart.
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by walterclark1 »

The Kocaso M9100 with Android 4.2.2 and an OTG adapter (one is supplied with the M9100) works with Shadow Dash. It will be a while before I know how well it does since the engine is out of the car for a while. I installed SD V1.0 then the Beta from an SD card and once the MS3 was connected via the OTG cable everything (as far as I can tell with half my sensors missing) worked.

Comments:
The M9100 has a separate power charge port - which I like - and the USB connection is via a micro-B jack. The DC charge port connector is a 2.35mm OD DC power connector which is only rated for <3.6V and seems kind of delicate. Otherwise it works. The M9100 does NOT support both USB OTG mode and USB charge at the same time. I was able to toggle between the modes after rigging up a OTG/power Y and altering the resistance fromthe micro-B plug's pin 4 to ground. Above 36K Ohms it was in charge mode (it would start charging from the USB power pin) but ShadowDash could not see the USB or FTDI controller, and below 38K Ohms it was in OTG mode and ShadowDash would recognize the USB FTDI controller but it would not charge.

I would say the screen resolution on this unit is adequate for a dashboard. Reading small text (much smaller than anyone would use on an actual "dashboard") is an eyestrain test. The screen itself seems to have a fairly easy to scratch, soft face. At first I thought it might be a protective film that things like often ship with, but after observing the precise fit of it relative to the screen edges and the fact that the screen itself flexes when pressed - like a polycarbonate material - rather than being very rigid like a glass, I have come to the conclusion that I am looking at the tablets touch surface not a film. Assuming I continue to use this I will probably get a ZAGG protective film for it.

Update. After messing with this tablet for a week - USB connected to my MS3 which is sitting on a bench with JimStim inputs - I have come to the conclusion it is marginal as a replacement for an actual dashboard. The biggest problem is that at best it is too slow for something fast changing like a tach gauge or needing instant response like a shift light. At times it is fairly responsive but it frequently seems to get busy with housekeeping or something else and the dash isnt updated for 1-5 seconds...and this is with other apps, wi-fi. etc. shut down as far as I know. It is also really slow to get started and get to the point where it is actually displaying current dashboard values. I have it set so SD starts immediately upon detecting the FTDI USB chip. I am powering either the chip in the cable connected o the MS3 to RS232 port, or the USB chip on the MS3 from a switch on the MS so the one I select turns on with the MS. The app usually starts then within maybe 5 seconds. It required that I tap the "Connect BT" button and select the USB cable before it would try to go online before I found the "Automatic Connect" under Preferences when set also applied to the USB. Then it will connect and slowly start to display current values...almost a minute after the MS3 was powered on. It can be much faster (perhaps 5 seconds from power on of the MS3 to displaying current data) if the app is already running and has previously connected to the MS3 - before the MS3 was shut off. But I have encountered a number of times when it simply did not re-connect and I needed to manually exit SD and restart it, and in a couple cases power cycle the MS3 again. Having to reboot and power cycle things while sitting at the starting line if I needed to shut the engine off then restart and be ready to go it would be hugely inconvenient... Contrast this to my Galaxy S4 which even while running a number of other apps is very responsive and seems to connect either with the USB or BT very quickly.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Sorry to revive an old thread, any newer device reports or suggestions?
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

My samsung s7 works fine but the screen size isnt optimal for some things.
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

It used to be sketchy on what supported USB Host mode. But these days pretty much most devices do.
Phil Tobin
rgjt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rgjt »

I have been trying out both the latest versions of MSDroid (v2.8.3.2) and the Shadow Dash MS (v1.6.10) applications for Android using different USB-Serial adapter chipsets.
For MS Droid, it easily connects to either the FTDI and the Prolific PL2303 chipsets without any problems.
However, for Shadow Dash MS, it will only connect with the FTDI chipset as it will not recognize the PL2303.
I'm wondering what the difference is between the two applications. You would expect that if MSDroid connects with the PL2303, why not Shadow Dash MS.
Has anybody found a solution to the PL2303 working with Shadow Dash MS yet?
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Shadow Dash does not have Prolific drivers in it.
It actually does, early versions (from 2012 or so) of the drivers that were really buggy, so they were never turned on.
I believe they have improved, but I have not readdressed them as in generally even on the PC Prolific adapters are are not as reliable.
Phil Tobin
rgjt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rgjt »

That's too bad as the PL2303 adapter that I'm using with TunerstudioMS 3.0.28 on my Linux laptop works flawlessly without any dropouts or loss of connection. I was hoping to use the same adapter with the Shadow Dash MS.
Regardless, I did buy the adapter from EFIAnalytics to make sure that it will work.
I already have the high speed GPS (QSTartz 818XT) and it gets detected under Shadow Dash and it works perfectly.