Pairing Request on Every Startup

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

arjay
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Pairing Request on Every Startup

Post by arjay »

I first mentioned this a couple of months ago. I bought the 10Hz GPS and ShadowDash and each time the vehicle is powered off (GPS powered off) the pairing is lost between the 10Hz GPS and Shadow Dash, and it does not 'auto connect' when the units are turned back on.

So, each time the vehicle is powered off the user needs to go through a manual re-pairing of the two devices. This is made more cumbersome with the 'Shadow Dash has encountered and error and needs to close' issue. It can take some time to get both up and working again and seems to require some interesting voodoo such as manually killing the ShadowDash service.

It would be really nice if the vehicle could be shut off, re-started, and have Shadow Dash automatically re-pair with the GPS and start working without user intervention.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Pairing Request on Every Startup

Post by LT401Vette »

That does sound cumbersome..
I have not had another report of that. I can not seem to reproduce it here.

Is it only for the GPS you have to Re-Pair, not the ECU BT?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
arjay
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Pairing Request on Every Startup

Post by arjay »

When you are testing are you physically removing power to the 10Hz GPS. ie, Are you power-cycling it? Or are you leaving it running on the battery?

I can reproduce this issue every single time. It's not hit or miss, I have to manually re-pair the OS to the 10Hz GPS every time the GPS is power cycled.

Interestingly enough, with ShadowDash running, and paired to the GPS and working, if I then shut off the vehicle (and, consequently, the GPS) Shadow Dash will still report that it is connected to the GPS, which is not possible. The GPS is physically turned off.

There is no confusion going on between ECU or GPS. This very easy to reproduce and it can be reproduced every single time. It's also very easy to determine if Shadow Dash is actually paired to the GPS because the GPS will will turn on a blue LED indicator when paired and sending data. So this can be reproduced and confirmed very easily.

I guess I could go through the effort of making a YouTube video showing this issue and reproducing it every time the GPS is power cycled - if that will help. I mean, this is not an issue on my end, it's an issue with Shadow Dash. It's not intermittent, this will happen every time the GPS is power cycled.

My hope was that over the last couple of months, after I first reported this, that you would have done something with it.