Any shadow dash installs with 100% reliable connection?

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thomas1510
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Any shadow dash installs with 100% reliable connection?

Post by thomas1510 »

Are users getting rock-solid reliable connections to their shadow dash tablets?

The idea of replacing a number of physical gauges with an android tablet is very appealing- especially in my case (in my subaru) where my temp gauge and tacho don't work and I don't have a boost gauge installed yet.... I could install a tablet and kill a few birds with one stone. But it'd only be worth doing if the serial connection is likely to be 100% reliable. My experience with usb serial adapters (cheap blue ones, prolific and now FTDI) to connect my MS2 to a win7 netbook has been painfully frustrating to say the LEAST.
98 Subaru Forester, ej205 turbo, MS2 extra.

1970 Datsun 510 turbo running MSx 029t. L20b with wasted spark, 4-1 crank wheel, td04 turbo
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Any shadow dash installs with 100% reliable connection?

Post by LT401Vette »

If you are having trouble with a stable connection from a PC and TunerStudio, there is a problem somewhere. I wouldn't count on being able to get a reliable connection from any other device either.
I would suggest figuring out what is wrong 1st.

It sounds like you have tried several cables. If you are having trouble while using an FTDI based cable, it would seem it is another link in the chain. What all is between your PC and MS2?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
thomas1510
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thomas1510 »

Thanks Phil for your reply. My problem when using the FTDI adapter (with win7 netbook) is that after I power the MS off and on again, tunerstudio doesn't reconnect until I unplug the usb connector and then plug it in again. I have no idea why it does this but have been thinking it might be a problem with my netbook. I should see if I can get another laptop to try. Other than that everything is pretty much ok.

As for my original question- if I could re-word it a bit: can Shadowdash and associated tablet and adapter setups be made to 'just work' and replace physical gauges, without having to fiddle with touch screens turn things on and off etc.?
98 Subaru Forester, ej205 turbo, MS2 extra.

1970 Datsun 510 turbo running MSx 029t. L20b with wasted spark, 4-1 crank wheel, td04 turbo
ilostmymindcom
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ilostmymindcom »

I have been using my HTC One as a dashboard for a week now. Since it is my primary phone, I don't mind fiddling with it. But, I haven't had to fiddle with any settings. Every time I open shadowdash, it does exactly as expected. It turns on bluetooth and connects to MS. I also use my pc with a bluetooth dongle. I have to make sure the phone isn't connected when I want to use my PC, since only one device can be paired with the BT to Serial adapter at a time.
I am very impressed with the reliability of it, and wouldn't hesitate to try a permanent install if I had use for one.

//also, your FTDI problem could just be a power setting for the usb ports going to sleep. http://fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/11/fix-us ... 18XsmSmy70
arjay
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arjay »

thomas1510 wrote:Are users getting rock-solid reliable connections to their shadow dash tablets?
Nope. In our case we reported the "Unfortunately Shadow Dash MS Has Closed" issue and it still hasn't been fixed. We waited a few months - nothing. Author then abandons post.
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

I use Shadow Dash with a Nexus 7 almost daily as a primary dashboard, never had an issue.. rock solid.
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential