Frustrated with bluetooth connection...

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Frustrated with bluetooth connection...

Post by streetrover »

Hello everyone...

For the last year I've been using tunerstudio by connecting my Macbook Pro laptop to my megasquirt via a 6-foot serial cable and a serial-usb adapter. It's worked flawlessly! :D When I try to run ShadowDash by connecting my Nexus 7 tablet via the bluetooth adapter the connection has been frustratingly unreliable. :evil: Generally, the connection works when I first start the car, but after my first stop and restart, the bluetooth won't connect to the tablet. My initial theory is that there is a fault with the extremely cheap looking and sounding db9 male-to-male gender changer I'm using to connect the bluetooth adapter to the serial cable. Has anyone had similar issues? Secondly, can I just hard-connect to the Nexus7 via the small connector at the bottom of the tablet (where the data/charging cable plugs in) and bypass bluetooth entirely? :RTFM:

Bob
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Frustrated with bluetooth connection...

Post by Trev16v »

Have you tried eliminating the serial cable and plugging the Bluetooth interface directly into the ECU?

We quite often find that certain Bluetooth adapter and cable combinations are unreliable. It's due to the high transient current demands from the adapter combined with the impedance of the cable. Try plugging the adapter in directly - never use a cable.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Well...that would be plan "C" I guess. You see, the issue is that I've placed the ECU in a "safe" location that requires a bit of work to get to. :roll: What is the distance that the adapter (I've got the adapter from the ShadowDash site) will transmit? It's behind by seat and the Nexus7 is on the dash (approx) 5ft. away. Also, I can use the adapter when I connect tunerstudio through my macbook (which has bluetooth) right?

Bob
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

I would highly urge that you try connecting the adapter directly, even as a temporary measure for now, just to prove whether or not it is caused by using it via a cable. The Bluetooth range will be absolutely fine within the confines of a vehicle (as long as it's not being excessively shielded somehow).
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Okay, thanks Trev(or)! I guess I'll do that first thing in the morning and test in the afternoon! :P

Bob
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

As Trev said, it would be worth a try without the cable just to see.

The range shouldn't be of concern in the car. With a decent BT Adapter you should be able to walk a good ways from the car.

You can connect via cable if you pick up a USB OTG cable and have an FTDI based USB to serial cable. That will yield faster data logging too, but typically BT is relatively reliable with Android.

Also, how is your adapter powered and what type of MegaSquirt do you have? I have come across combinations where separate grounds have caused problems, especially when the MS is power cycled but the BT Adapter is not.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

As mentioned earlier, it takes a bit of effort to get to the ECU on my application...but I did it. Then, to my chagrin, I discovered that the db9 serial output from the megasquirt "black box" was FEMALE! Very inconvenient that the Blutooth adapter db9 serial output was also FEMALE. Very inconvenient. :twisted: Nevertheless I went ahead and bypassed the cable but was forced to use the chinzy db9 gender changer. Low and behold...IT WORKED! I started the car and shadowdash connected immediately! I drove around for awhile, stopped, restarted and BAM, yes IT WORKED AGAIN! Lastly, I took it on the freeway, was cruising at 70+ depressed the clutch, shifted into neutral, turned the car off and coasted for awhile, started the car again and... yes! ... IT WORKED AGAIN! Fan-freakin'-tastic! Tomorrow I'll try to connect tunerstudio on the laptop and see if my results are similarly promising! Thanks again for the advice guys...to date the score is:

Forum Members and Moderators - 5 Frustrating Problems - 0 (You guys ROCK!)

Bob
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

couldn't wait 'til tomorrow to test the Laptop. I needed to change a couple of bluetooth and COM port settings but eventually...viola...laptop worked too! Wow! THANKS AGAIN GUYS! :yeah!:

Bob