Introducing RealDash

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Introducing RealDash

Post by MostHated »

janimm wrote:Yes, we go Android first, but our technology allows to build the app for iOS without changes to the code.

We can also build for Windows (and phone), Mac, and Linux.
I am guessing you are using Unity? I literally just bought my MS3/MS3X and Jimstim simply to do this as I didn't see others out there that were that good. I still want to do it simply for the experience and learning.

**Edit, just read through some more of the posts. I was excited to see that no one had done this yet when I was looking around the last few days, but I just saw this now and that you beat me too it, lol. I primarily develop in Unity / C# which has all of .net available to it, so there is a lot that can be accomplished. I mostly just wanted to do it for my own learning experience as I have only been developing games for a short amount of time and did not have plans for it to turn out to be something other than just for myself, so I am going to continue on doing it anyways.

Nice looking project you got going on there, I wish you the best of luck guys. : ) I noticed you are only developing on an MS2/Extra correct? I will be getting my MS3/MS3X Tuesday, and my JimStim a few days after, so if you guys want any help and data from the newer devices, let me know
Mrstoks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mrstoks »

janimm wrote:
Mrstoks wrote:Just downloaded the App and had a play.... Nice work! Very easy to use and looks fantastic!
Are you looking at including status lamps for I/O at some stage?
Personally, a feature I would really like is to be able to toggle outputs via 'virtual switch inputs' - the idea being you could turn on/off lights/fans/etc etc via a touch button on the tablet instead of having to have physical switches mounted in the dash.
Again, nice work

Elmo
Hi Elmo, thanks for trying our app.

- Status lamps are coming to next release, and will support any input from ECU.
- Buttons to control programmable outputs could be done, and would open a lot new use cases for the app. I will add this to feature request list, but this isn't something that can be thrown together in couple of days, so I'm afraid we are unable to implement this for the first public release.
Buttons to control programmable outputs / simulate inputs via touchscreen would be a huge win for me - I have a helicopter gas turbine engine (ex US Navy) I will be controlling/monitoring via MS3-Pro. I have all the hardware etc. The goal is to install in a speedboat and fit a full touchscreen dash or two. I chose an MS3 as it seems an economical way to get realtime feedback of all the various temps/pressures/RPM's etc wirelessly (via bluetooth). Datalogging and GPS maps/navigation are a bonus too. The last peice of the puzzle is having the feature to remote switch a few outputs on/off such as fuel pump, starter, ignitors etc via touchscreen. As you say, and I agree, such feature would open up a huge range of new use cases beyond aftermarket automotive performance applications. Thanks again and nice work
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

wow your app is very nice!

Good job!
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

MostHated wrote:I am guessing you are using Unity? ... I noticed you are only developing on an MS2/Extra correct? I will be getting my MS3/MS3X Tuesday, and my JimStim a few days after, so if you guys want any help and data from the newer devices, let me know
Hi,

We use our in-house game engine for the development. This is largely due the fact that we have been involved in mobile game business since its birth, and during era of first Symbian devices, good commercial game engines were just a dream. Unity is very good for starting and learning game development, especially for mobile devices. It has huge amount of free assets and its very easy to find help on any problems. Good luck with your game development efforts!

RealDash supports all versions of Megasquirt. Any feedback is very much welcome.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Mrstoks wrote:Buttons to control programmable outputs / simulate inputs via touchscreen would be a huge win for me
Hi,

This is on our feature request list. But unfortunately we are unable to add this feature into the first public release. Actually I did study implementation of this a little bit, but first we want to make sure that "basics" of the app work perfectly.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Suprazz wrote:wow your app is very nice! Good job!
Thanks! Positive feedback is always welcome :D

I just uploaded Beta 2 to Google Play. It should be available for download in few hours.

Beta 2 has a round gauge needle rendering performance improvement that will cause visible "shadowing" artifacts on dashboards that are from older version. If your modifications to default/gallery dashboard are minor, please do them again from new default/gallery dashboards. Another option is to change the needle image for each round gauge. I can share the new needle image if needed.

Changelog:

New Features:
* Added achievement: From Kilo starts "Ilo".
* Added achievement: Two Kilos, double "Ilo".
* Added option to open/close app on device charging events.
* While dragging a text gauge, and gauge is attached to input, gauge displays its maximum value for easier placement.
* Map tiles are now stored in app cache folder, which can be cleared from device settings.
* Added option to import Megasquirt ini file to access all input values.
* Skip Intro option added (shows purchase nagging screen).
* Map Gauge uses multiple threads to load map tiles.
* Added zoom-slider control on Map Gauge.
* Added an map gauge example dashboard to gallery.
* Needle gauge rendering performance is greatly improved if underlying gauge is "perfectly" round.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed bug that allowed max boost values enter to leaderboards without connection to ECU.
* Fixed a bug that prevented sizing the gauge if size indicator was on top on another gauge.
* GPS speed value is now set to 0 when GPS fix is lost.
* Line rendering caused artifacts on some hardware.
* Google Play Games is not started automatically if connection has failed on previous run.
* Fixed (hopefully) the crash caused by Google IAB helper class.
* Dashboard gallery showed nothing when no internet connection was available.
* Fixed a bug that prevented changes to indicator shadow settings to be saved.
* Fixed a occasional crash when running in offline mode.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

nice one, dropping in the ini does open up more items that you can display but it does not show everything the ecu outputs, i was looking for vss it does not appear to be in the imported options and generic sensors is missing as well possibly others to.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

grom_e30 wrote:nice one, dropping in the ini does open up more items that you can display but it does not show everything the ecu outputs, i was looking for vss it does not appear to be in the imported options and generic sensors is missing as well possibly others to.
The VSS is located in "Common Inputs" section. This is due that our app will use same id for VSS with Megasquirt and OBD II. This way dashboards will show vehicle speed on both without changes to dashboard.

There certainly could be inputs missing, especially with MS3, since I don't have one on my bench test. I will keep working on them.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

janimm wrote:
grom_e30 wrote:nice one, dropping in the ini does open up more items that you can display but it does not show everything the ecu outputs, i was looking for vss it does not appear to be in the imported options and generic sensors is missing as well possibly others to.
The VSS is located in "Common Inputs" section. This is due that our app will use same id for VSS with Megasquirt and OBD II. This way dashboards will show vehicle speed on both without changes to dashboard.

There certainly could be inputs missing, especially with MS3, since I don't have one on my bench test. I will keep working on them.
ok got you i assumed it would be in the "megasquirt imported" section. but vss is indeed working from the "common inputs" list.

i have found another issue, if i select the correct ini for my firmware then assign a gauge to a input from the "megasquirt imported" list all is well but, if i edit the min or max values for a gauge thats using "megasquirt imported" it breaks the app i get "unfortunatly, realdash has stopped." and it will not work until i remove the app and re-install it again.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

grom_e30 wrote:i have found another issue...
Ouch! Found it. This is serious enough to make a stealth update into Google Play. Thank you for letting me know. Fix will be available at some point today.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

There are many things our tech makes easy. For example, here's a quick sneak preview of prototype iOS version:

https://youtu.be/Ihv5Vxw2qqs

Unfortunately, parsing ini files is not one of those easy things :| There are multiple problems on some ini- parsed input data, especially on MS3. Thanks for reporting them to me. Please keep doing so, we will fix the problems as they come along.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

nice have you managed to get pass the apple bluetooth lock down as there is not any other megasquirt options for iso?? what is the likely hood of real dash working as an app in win10 at some stage?
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

No haxxors involved, that would make it impossible to distribute thru iTunes. The iOS version will require WiFi or BLE adapter. But that is just a prototype, we will finish the Android version first.

We are developing on win10, so sure, Windows version will be out after Android.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

For me its working good so far.
Also tested GPS with that new Map Dashboard. All fine so far.

But a Gauge for the current transfer data rate (MS->Tablet) would be good, just like on shadow Dash.
And of course the ability for datalogging into a .msq file.

And very important a Laptimer function. Like said before, i could send you an example code for this, if you want.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Hi,

I added data transfer rate to feature requests. Would you prefer updates/sec or Kb/sec? And sure, if you can share your laptimer code, I'll take a look at it. But still, I prefer to have basic functionality finished first.

Right now we are working on:

* Reliability
* MS ini file import bug fixing
* Datalogging
* OBDII support
* Context sensitive help system
* Setup wizard for the first run

I will try to speed up the Beta release cycle. If everything goes well, next beta is available this friday. We have scheduled to release version 1.0 15th of April.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

okay perfect! I'll send you the code with some documentations next week.

Concerning update/transfer rate. Just for me update rate (1/s) would be enough.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Just uploaded Beta 3 to Google Play.

https://youtu.be/QnECU5AauOQ

Next I will attack to the problems with ini file import. Sorry that I was unable to fix those issues to Beta 3, but we want to do it properly and also re-categorize the inputs since there is quite many of them now in "Megasquirt Imported" category.

One change may need your attention if you have your own custom dashboards. There is new "Master Speed" selection in "Settings->Values". Any gauge with input set to "Common Values->Vehicle Speed" will use this setting. This way dashboard designers can make speedometers that work with GPS, Megasquirt VSS, and OBD speed data without need to change its input.

Also note that you can now add buttons into dashboard. Button actions include "Toggle datalogging on/off", but actual datalogging is not yet implemented in this version.

New Features:
* Performance measurement saves a simple csv log file.
* Added a configurable button "gauge".
* Added new input "Common Inputs->Vehicle Speed" which is configurable from settings.
* Added new input "Calculated->Data updates/sec".
* Dashboard page background has an option to apply changes to all pages.
* Dashboard page background has new mode "Panoramic".
* Added option to pad text gauge with leading zeros.
* App now remembers the last paths used to save/load/import files.
* Editing long text now displays full screen virtual keyboard.
* Added app version check when loading bashboards.
* First prototype of OBDII support included.
* Metric/Imperial settings moved to "Settings->Values".

Bug fixes:
* Fixed needle rendering on HUD mode.
* Fixed a showstopper that caused app to crash and not to start after tweaking input range values.
* Fixed a performance measurement bug that caused have spike on acceleration calculations when speed is 0.
* Fixed a crash caused by showing a toast message from non-main thread.
* Location manager no longer accepts location updates from network provider.
* Dragging of gauges with multitouch is disabled. Caused accidental movement of gauges.
* Version number corrected to < 1.0
* Performance measurement accuracy is improved, especially in 0-x measurements.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Unfortunately I had to throw (again) a quickfix to Google Play. Previous version had problems loading dashboards that were created with earlier version of the app.

Please make sure you get Beta 3-2 from Play store. It should be available within few hours.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

RealDash Beta 4 is now available.

Here's a video of one dashboard created with RealDash.

https://youtu.be/aHeanDG5YSA

I included the short description of how that dashboard was made. Guy who created that dashboard is not a professional artist.

There are couple of interesting new features in Beta 4. Most notable a real time speed limit display (in "Network" input category), that shows the speed limit on your current road. Naturally a GPS and network connection is required.

The Dashboard gallery is now categorized for easier browsing.

The CEL and error code reading is now implemented for Megasquirt 3.

And also many minor changes and bug fixes. Enjoy!
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Hi,

We are very excited to announce a co-operation with SP Leinonen Ltd to produce custom vehicle body electronics solution. This setup allows to control body electronics, like headlights, flashers, heater, directly from RealDash application without any physical switches.

More info on RealDash Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/realdashapp