Introducing RealDash

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Introducing RealDash

Post by kizzoalfa »

janimm wrote:RealDash Beta 4 is now available.

Here's a video of one dashboard created with RealDash.

https://youtu.be/aHeanDG5YSA

I included the short description of how that dashboard was made. Guy who created that dashboard is not a professional artist.

There are couple of interesting new features in Beta 4. Most notable a real time speed limit display (in "Network" input category), that shows the speed limit on your current road. Naturally a GPS and network connection is required.

The Dashboard gallery is now categorized for easier browsing.

The CEL and error code reading is now implemented for Megasquirt 3.

And also many minor changes and bug fixes. Enjoy!
Hi, the app is very useful and the most realistic dash I have ever seen.

The video you posted is awesome.

Do you plan to release some GUI editor for the dash? I installed your app and running it: it is stable and connection is fast.

The only thing I miss is that I would create a similar dash like in your video but with different components / scale limits.

Thank you for creating this app, professional job!

Zoltan
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alfa Romeo 75 2.0, Supercharged by Eaton M45, MS3
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

kizzoalfa wrote:Hi, the app is very useful and the most realistic dash I have ever seen.

Do you plan to release some GUI editor for the dash? I installed your app and running it: it is stable and connection is fast.

The only thing I miss is that I would create a similar dash like in your video but with different components / scale limits.

Zoltan

Thanks, we are working super hard to finish the 1.0 in time.

Most of the examples and free dashboards included in RealDash are made with Windows version of the app. That said, the Android version contains all the same features for editing the dashboard, even from scratch. But as we have noticed, finger is not very precise tool compared to mouse and keyboard.

We will release Windows version of the RealDash (someday). It will require Windows 10, and will be available from Windows Store.

But thinking about this... I see no reason why we couldn't make "editor only" Windows version available as a free download. Let me know if you would be interested of something like that.

For those who don't want to use graphics editing tools to create new gauges, we are introducing "Autoscale" based needle gauges in next release of RealDash.
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

janimm wrote:
kizzoalfa wrote:Hi, the app is very useful and the most realistic dash I have ever seen.

Zoltan

Thanks, we are working super hard to finish the 1.0 in time.

Most of the examples and free dashboards included in RealDash are made with Windows version of the app. That said, the Android version contains all the same features for editing the dashboard, even from scratch. But as we have noticed, finger is not very precise tool compared to mouse and keyboard.

We will release Windows version of the RealDash (someday). It will require Windows 10, and will be available from Windows Store.

But thinking about this... I see no reason why we couldn't make "editor only" Windows version available as a free download. Let me know if you would be interested of something like that.

For those who don't want to use graphics editing tools to create new gauges, we are introducing "Autoscale" based needle gauges in next release of RealDash.
Hi,

can you please let me know about what do you exactly mean here:

"But thinking about this... I see no reason why we couldn't make "editor only" Windows version available as a free download. Let me know if you would be interested of something like that."

In my understanding will you release just the dash editor for under windows? (That would be great).

Thank you,

Zoltan
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alfa Romeo 75 2.0, Supercharged by Eaton M45, MS3
16vboost
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 16vboost »

janimm wrote:
YES PLEASE!

janimm wrote:
This will help most get up and running quickly. Thanks.

-Alex
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

We have scheduled Beta 7 release for this Friday. I'll see if we could include Windows editor into the release.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

RealDash version 1.0 is out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o.RealDash

And as discussed earlier, the Windows "Editor only" is now available for download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fa1r6xigbezd ... tqaWa?dl=0

A million thanks to everybody who participated into the Beta period of the development! We ended up releasing a lot more features that we originally planned.

Of course, the development does not stop here. First thing Monday morning I will dig into the iOS version. And soon after that we integrate a SP Leinonen body electrics setup. This will allow controlling body electrics like lights, heater and so on directly from RealDash dashboard, and display indicators like turn signals, high beam and so on.

Thank you, and keep those bug reports and feature requests coming!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

any idea when you are going to have the ini stuff working correctly with ms3?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Hmm, we don't have any open bugs on our list regarding that. Could you specify the problem you are having?

Only todo mark I found is categorizing the ini file imported values, since its difficult to find one on such a long list.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

last time i checked afr does not work on ms3
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

I though I fixed that. Will double check.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

Have a few comments to the current version

1) Would it be possible to split the LapTimer (LT) Gauge?
So for example "Add Gauge" -> "Laptimer" -> "Current Laptime", " Best Lap" , "Trackname", "Last Lap", "Last 5 Laps".
At the moment its this big block with everything included. But for design and overview improvement it would be better when those things are seperated.

2) I still have a bug where it doesnt change the Name and the Range when i change a input value.
For example i add a new gauge. This is always Speed from 0-320 kmh. Then i change the input for example to acceleration Y.
But the gauge still has the name speed and its still 0-320 kmh. Although it shows different range in the "select data source" menue.
the input itself changes, so now the needle is not at 0kmh but at 160 kmh (in the middle) and reacts to the acceleration.
(all on tablet)

3) Somehow i got many times problems with downloading new dashboards. It always says that there is no internet connection.
But actually wifi is activated and i have a good connection.

4) I downloaded your windows editor. But it always crashes when i try to start it.
It just says "RealDash isn't working anymore". I have windows 7 64bit.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

1. For sure. Its a good idea.

2. This confuses a lot of users and we have to do something about it. The default dashboard needle gauges have scale numbers "burnt in" into background image. This is to create unique look for the gauges. When you create new gauge, it uses background image that was used previously. And to add to confusion, default dashboards do not include "dummy" graphics for autoscaling gauge. I will think about this.

3. This may be due the known problem in some Android 4.x devices. When bluetooth is connecting to device, the wifi connection is dropped. In will try to fix this by not stopping the ongoing downloads, but instead put them into "halt".

4. Please try to update your graphics drivers. RealDash windows editor requires pretty decent OpenGL drivers to work.

Thanks for your feedback!
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

janimm wrote:1. For sure. Its a good idea.

2. This confuses a lot of users and we have to do something about it. The default dashboard needle gauges have scale numbers "burnt in" into background image. This is to create unique look for the gauges. When you create new gauge, it uses background image that was used previously. And to add to confusion, default dashboards do not include "dummy" graphics for autoscaling gauge. I will think about this.

3. This may be due the known problem in some Android 4.x devices. When bluetooth is connecting to device, the wifi connection is dropped. In will try to fix this by not stopping the ongoing downloads, but instead put them into "halt".

4. Please try to update your graphics drivers. RealDash windows editor requires pretty decent OpenGL drivers to work.

Thanks for your feedback!
2) Okay now i understand, so i would have to make a new background image for every gauge i want to use. (at the moment). Yes it would be better when its like in tunerstudio where you can change limits and name on the fly.

3)okay when i deactivate the bluetooth connection for megasquirt and gps i'm able to download the dashboards from gallery.

4)I have a NVIDIA graphic card. I downloaded the latest driver version and installed it. When i search in the "Nvidia Gforce Experience" for newer driver, it says that there is none available.
But its still not working?
I guess the opengl driver should be included in the graphic card driver, isnt it? Because when i search for opengl driver there are just links to the nvidia homepage.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Hi,

2. You can create gauges that have automatic scaling. Try: Edit->File->New, then Add Gauge->Indicators->Needle Gauge. I think best (quick) solution to this problem is that every new needle gauge would have empty circle background and autoscaling feature set on.

You also mentioned name of the gauge not changing. The name is not related to gauge input or its look. You can change it to whatever you like from context menu->edit->gauge name.

4. Ok, you definately have drivers up to date. Just to make sure, check that you extracted all files from the zip package, and run RealDash.exe directly from its folder. It will not start if run from inside zip file. Sorry for the lack of installer. We are working on Windows 10 version that will be available from the store. Current editor package is just thrown together.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

there are 8 files inside the folder. And i run it directly from this folder. so not from the archieve.
It just crashes in the moment i open the program.
I also tried the compatibility and to run it as admin, but none of this helped.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Ok, will investigate.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

Did a few further tests today.

How can i start the playback of a logfile?
I selected a logfile in msl format, but i have no idea how to start it. :mrgreen:
there is just a folder icon in the bottom right which shows 0.00 / 0.00

Already tried to make a Dashboard.
Still needs some fine tuning (sizing and position of gauges and custom ini).
But i will do this when the windows editor is working for me.
My fingers are too shaky to do this on the tablet :lol:
forum1.jpg
forum2.jpg
But the Designing or the Editor itself is very good!!
Much better than ShadowDash, there you get always problems with aspect ratio and so on.
But with RealDash its really easy to make a own dashboard.

When you release usb connection and datalogging its the perfect App for me !

Edit: Now i tried to import the Ini from my TunerStudio Project.
But the Generic Sensors are missing. And another problem is, that in the new TS version all custom channels are saved in the seperate custom.ini
But you cant import two ini's at once to RealDash. I tried to add those into the standard maincontroller.ini but they weren't displayed in RealDash.
In the custom.ini there are three blocks: 1)"OutputChannels" ; 2)"GaugeConfigurations" and 3) "Datalog".

I guess 3) DataLogs doesnt matter, as there is no datalogging ability at the moment
2) Gauge Configurations. I justed copy&paste that stuff with "gaugeCategory = "Custom" into the same part of Maincontroller.ini after all the X-Code dev stuff.
And in addition to that i also tried a different method, where i copied that stuff directly into the X-Code dev category.

1) Output Channels: I've put those lines right behind the other calculations (GPS, generic_pid_load_b). So just before the datalogging stuff is starting.

But i cant see my custom values in RealDash.
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Your dash looks fantastic! Good job.

I will attack the issues you have listed. I hope to be able to fix them all for next update (May).
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

That dash panel is amazing!
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
janimm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by janimm »

Speedy_G wrote:there are 8 files inside the folder. And i run it directly from this folder. so not from the archieve.
It just crashes in the moment i open the program.
I also tried the compatibility and to run it as admin, but none of this helped.
I still have a feeling that for whatever reason the exe file cannot access the required other files causing the crash. Please try one more thing: unzip all files to a C:\RealDash\ ,open file explorer and run exe from there.

Btw, do you mind if we publish your dashboard images on our facebook page?