Arabic font?

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Arabic font?

Post by walterclark1 »

This is the second time this has happened. Samsung Nexus 10/4.4.4 SD v1.3.2.

Booted up tablet and started SD. Not yet connected to my MS via bluetooth but SD opens with the normal screen (dashboard_0_landscape) which is a customized dash. Just about everything comes up in Arabic (screenshot attached). Same for other screens.
Screenshot_2015-12-05-12-12-55.png
If I shut the tablet down and reboot it usually comes up right.
Screenshot_2015-12-05-12-22-24.png
What is up with that?
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Arabic font?

Post by LT401Vette »

Are you using Arabic on the PC at all?

Shadow Dash doesn't even have or support translations. So about the only way those dashboards could be in Arabic is if they were saved that way from TunerStudio.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by walterclark1 »

I am not using Arabic or those fonts on the tablet or on the PC that I used to create the dashboard. I checked the language preference under the tablets main Android "Settings" to be sure it was English. I dont run many other apps on this tablet as it was purchased just for SD but I havent seen anything like this on any of the other apps. I bought it thru eBay from one of those businesses that re-sell things like this and it arrived already rooted and running 4.4.4, otherwise wiped clean. I suppose something could have been hacked that could only be done if rooted that is causing this. I was going to unroot it and upgrade to 5.0 but so far havent been able to successfully unroot it. Maybe I need to work on that some more.

I used this dashboard and a very similar looking one on my stock Galaxy S4 all summer and it didnt do anything like this.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by walterclark1 »

I should add that the Arabic appears on the SD "home" screen in place of English based letters and numbers as well when it has occurred on the custom dash.

Last evening I was finally able to fix the problem I had with the Nexus Root Toolkit http://www.wugfresh.com/ on my desktop (it required a manual driver installation on the desktop to get the ADB drivers to work correctly) and I was able to re-flash to the stock ROM and install Android 5.1.1. SD is again installed and the custom dashboards copied to the Nexus. Today I will connect it to the MS3 to get it completely configured. I will report back regarding any re-occurrences of the Arabic font problem.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by walterclark1 »

I had some struggles with the 5.1.1 and getting the bluetooth to stay connected, but it seems to have settled down and is working after I did a "factory reset" and reloaded the apps I needed. I have booted the Nexus and started SD a number of times today and have not seen a repeat of the Arabic font.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Still clean

Post by walterclark1 »

The Arabic fonts have not re-appeared and I have been using the tablet and SD a lot in the past few days while looking for the problem I encountered with Lambda gauge displays. At this point I am guessing the previous owner must have messed with it while it was rooted and left modified files or malware behind. The process of unrooting, re-flashing everything, updating to 5.1.1 and then doing a "factory reset" must have undone or rid the tablet of the issue. Since I had the tablet only a few days and ran very few other apps on the tablet other than SD before doing the Android OS update there was little opportunity for me to observe this occurring elsewhere, but given more time and running other apps it may well have done so.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X