Shadow Dash 1.6 Not Saving Dashboard Changes

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Shadow Dash 1.6 Not Saving Dashboard Changes

Post by VcrMiata »

First, noticed that I cant get the gauge list unless I'm connected (or attempting to connect) to the ECU.
If I try to change gauge while not connected, I only see GPS and accelerometer gauge types.

Second, any changes I make to my custom dash (gauge type or attribute) is lost when I exit and restart Shadow Dash. I don't see any errors on the dash. Maybe I have a silent failure?

Third, how do I configure performance parameters? I.e. gear ratios,weight, frontage area, etc.

Tony
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Shadow Dash 1.6 Not Saving Dashboard Changes

Post by kjones6039 »

Same issue with install on my new phone!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

Thanks for reporting this Tony. Please send EFIanalytics support a debug log by going File > Advanced > Share App Debug.
1) We will verify behavior and look into why this has changed.
2) The log should shine some light on why the changes are not being saved
3) Set the performance parameters using tunerstudio and save a tune. Load the tune in Shadow Dash. Adding a dialog for this stuff is on the ToDo list.
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

Sent an app debug with a dashboard attachment.

Tony
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

Got it. Looking into this now.
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

1)The gauge selection is limited when not connected to ecu - I confirmed this is preexisting behavior. This will be added to the SD TODO list.

2)Tested loading your custom dash file and app displayed failure to save dash message and logged the details in the log. The problem seems to be with the 'DejaVu Sans Condensed' font being referenced but not included in the dash file. The gauge type and attribute changes saved just fine after I changed the font references in TS and loaded the updated dash in SD. I tested changing gauges types and attributes on all the default dashboards confirmed everything is saving correctly. This still leaves me wondering how the dash was saved without the font info (I confirmed is working in TS by changing to some non standard font and inspecting the dash file). Only thing I can think of is you might have created the dash on a system that had the font and then later edited it on another that didn't have it.
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

kjones6039 wrote:Same issue with install on my new phone!

Ken
Please post or email(support@efianalytics.com) the problem dashboard file .
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

sschutte wrote:
kjones6039 wrote:Same issue with install on my new phone!

Ken
Please post or email(support@efianalytics.com) the problem dashboard file .
I will do that, as soon as I figure out how to find it and send it from this %&%$% phone! :lol:

Many thanks!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

Thanks for the feedback sshute.

WRT 1) I don't have to connect to the ECU to get the list of "real" gauges. I only have to attempt to connect to the ECU (no ECU powered on) to get the list of "real" gauges. It's close to your description but maybe not quite?

WRT 2) Thanks, this makes sense. I think this exposes a potential non-standard workflow.
This dashboard was derived from a dashboard I downloaded from the Tuner Studio -> The offical "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread.
The loading of the dashboard should highlight when a font is not available and should not fail quietly; perhaps it can be made a bit more vocal when loading and saving. :)

Note1: I changed the references of "DejaVu Sans Condensed" to "Arial Black" (the only one created in the dashboard) and it now saves successfully. I don't know what default font it was using when it couldn't find the "DejaVu Sans Condensed" font but the "Arial Black" font is too fat now; is there a way to use other fonts?
Note2: This is not presenting a problem in TunerStudio - seems it has been silently failing with the reference to "DejaVu Sans Condensed" but has been loading without issues and I've been able to make many changes and save without any issues. Always displays in TunerStudio with no reported errors.

Perhaps TunerStudio should be checking and reporting these kinds of failures?

Anyways, I am now able to save my changes so I'm happy!

Tony
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

Another thing I've been trying to solve is that VSS is always in MPH values - how do I get this to display in KPH values?
Using my laptop, my tune in TunerStudio shows KPH values fine. I thought the latest release had a fix for this?..

Tony
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

VcrMiata wrote:Another thing I've been trying to solve is that VSS is always in MPH values - how do I get this to display in KPH values?
Using my laptop, my tune in TunerStudio shows KPH values fine. I thought the latest release had a fix for this?..
Please break this out to a separate topic. Please include details about:
Firmware version
Gauge Name/Output channel name

The gauge displays the value of an output channel. This output channel is essentially a function, and if the function does not incorporate the MPH/KPH preference then that gauge value wont change with the preference. This is why it is important that you mention the frimware+guage name when reporting this kind of issue.
sschutte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sschutte »

I am glad to hear the gauge changes are now saving correctly on your customized dash.

Here are the steps to force all your gauges to the default font family on your imported dash file:
1) Open the dash file in TS and enter designer mode (Right click in dash area > Designer Mode)
2) Select all gauges (CNTRL + A)
3) Right click one of the selected gauges and go to Dashboard Designer > Properties Dialog > Font Family> Set this to Default (This will apply the change to all the gauges)
4) Save/Export the dash and load it with SD
VcrMiata wrote:Thanks for the feedback sshute.
WRT 2) Thanks, this makes sense. I think this exposes a potential non-standard workflow.
This dashboard was derived from a dashboard I downloaded from the Tuner Studio -> The offical "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread.
The loading of the dashboard should highlight when a font is not available and should not fail quietly; perhaps it can be made a bit more vocal when loading and saving. :)

Note1: I changed the references of "DejaVu Sans Condensed" to "Arial Black" (the only one created in the dashboard) and it now saves successfully. I don't know what default font it was using when it couldn't find the "DejaVu Sans Condensed" font but the "Arial Black" font is too fat now; is there a way to use other fonts?
Note2: This is not presenting a problem in TunerStudio - seems it has been silently failing with the reference to "DejaVu Sans Condensed" but has been loading without issues and I've been able to make many changes and save without any issues. Always displays in TunerStudio with no reported errors.
Tony
This is a bit of tricky situation. See the individual that designed your custom-from-scratch dash had "DejaVu Sans Condensed" installed on his machine but had no way of knowing what font would be available on the end device that used the dash. Saving all the fonts used isn't a good idea isn't a good idea as one will end up with larger dash files. The current SD behavior is to fail silently and just save the dash as is and use a default font. I will bring all this up at our next meeting to see if we can handle this better in the future.