Turbo VR6 runs mint over 170F but goes full lean under load

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Turbo VR6 runs mint over 170F but goes full lean under l

Post by nathanhardy »

I haven't turned my deccel fuel cut leave it at 100... Over rev Fuel cut is a must it seems the vr6 doesn't like the fuel loading up when the throttle is closed
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Turbo VR6 runs mint over 170F but goes full lean under load

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Agreed. Leave the ae decel value at 100 and use the full fuel cut. Thats how its done at the factory. I think some of the strangeness on this motor is due to the valve to injector length difference between short and long. I can get 24v motors to come on and off decel a lot smoother.

Ps did you check what I was saying about te baro?
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

Paul_VR6 wrote:
Gbaro seems to be swinging around a few % while running, which seems odd. Might be worth setting realtime baro OFF for now. If you plot Gbaro and Gae on the same graph they overlay, which seems quite odd.

My Baro correction is set to 100% across the board, so I don't know why it is adding to the GaE. I did notice the two changing alot and usually when the engine began to creep up lean.

Agreed. Leave the ae decel value at 100 and use the full fuel cut. Thats how its done at the factory. I think some of the strangeness on this motor is due to the valve to injector length difference between short and long. I can get 24v motors to come on and off decel a lot smoother.
Ps did you check what I was saying about the baro?
Paul_VR6 wrote:

Ok, Ill set it back to 100, I'm hoping Ed brings me in a good data log and new MSQ today so I can see how he made out over the weekend. His quick phone call sounded promising but from the sounds of things his AE is going to need a bit of tuning. I can clearly see that the added PW is way high. Now that I understand the wizard way better I think I should be able to get the Ae to be a bit more consistent without over or under fueling.

As soon as I get the files Ill post them.

Will
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

Here are the most up to date files on the car. I have not even had a chance to look them over. But from talking with ed he mentioned yesterday he still occasionally gets a lean hang up on the third gear change.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

so I know this sounds scary but id lean her out some my car runs great in the 14.7 till load and boost then im rich! reason I say that is their is no point tuning ae till your ve table is closer to your end point. also I notice what looks like a little noise on your mat and coolant sensors.. how are you grounds done exactly they need to go sensor to ms ms to block block to batt.. I had so much a issue with this I even re did my sensors with over kill milspec shield wire. double cjheck to see if you have any big jump on clt mat if you do then you'll fight tuning forever
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

what sensor setting are you using my coolant reads 200 yours 170 was your max
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

yeah compaired to my datalogs you got some noise for sure.. see if lag smoothing works
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

nathanhardy wrote:yeah compaired to my datalogs you got some noise for sure.. see if lag smoothing works

Where is the lag smoothing? And how do you adjust it?
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

nathanhardy wrote:what sensor setting are you using my coolant reads 200 yours 170 was your max
Im using a reg GM two wire sensor. My engine is also rear mounted and has a very large radiator, a 160 thermostat and a huge electric fan. I does not get very hot at all when driving.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

lag setting are found under general setting the lower the number= more smoothing higher less. I didn't look at your setting but id lower your clt iat and batt one and see if that takes the spikes out on those sensor in mega logviewer.. if not double check grounds ms is rough with grounds.. the smoother those signal the better the tune.. that's why I used milspec shielded wire same stuff they use on the f16's
Last edited by nathanhardy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Also since your car never get up to temp like ours you need to keep in mind that things like warm up enrich need to be scaled to your cars running temp you don't want it on when the car is warm.... same thing with ego.. over rev cut
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

So Had a chance to drive around a bit today. Was trying to tune out the Ve again since I increased the Req-fuel to 7.1 from 7.0. Fixed a lot of my low RPM high map areas that sent me lean.

Im still having issues with it going full lean and getting stuck there around 1100-1700 RPM range. Generally its with real light throttle so there is no AE, and is worse after long decel. I know its not the ve because under normal conditions the AFR is perfect.

I was thinking the Ignition table maybe culprit. It goes from 14 deg idle to 28 with only 300 rpm in change. Im having trouble finding a good factory ignition curve too see what it should look like .

The last MSQ is the same except for the very small ve changes I made , even then still had the same issue. Ill post up the newest MSQ tomorrow.

Thanks, Will
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

id see if paul chimes in on that he's about the only person I know on here that would have a good idea on that.. I don't notice mine doing that but I think your drive much more conservative then I am.
Will Powered
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Will Powered »

attaches is the latest MSQ . Can't upload the Data log because it is way too big.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Send it to zip and load the zip! you can also shorten the data log and resave it on mlv