Should I even TRY to use a knock sensor???

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Should I even TRY to use a knock sensor???

Post by TJM »

Thanksgiving Holiday over here in the US. Most people sleeping off over eating, Over eating, or watching NFL?

Me? I am trying to figure out if a knock sensor will even WORK on our combination??

Gen I, Small Block Chevrolet V8, Solid Lifter, flat tappet camshaft?

Is this combination that is going to allow for a Modern Knock Sensors?

Am I looking for a head ache here?

Any one have success opinion or advice [ other than changing the cam !!! ]

Thanks TJM
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Should I even TRY to use a knock sensor???

Post by elutionsdesign »

Which MS processor? I would try one if you have an MS3 and the knock module, otherwise don't bother.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I have the knocksense unit but I had to turn the sensitivity down a lot or it would indicate knock almost continously. I read a lot of articles saying it's easier to detect knock by hooking it up to a headset.
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

elutionsdesign wrote:Which MS processor? I would try one if you have an MS3 and the knock module, otherwise don't bother.

Thanks!!!

MS3X/V3.0... I Never remember to tell you all that?? Backward .

I would invest in the thing if it had a potential value.

This is a pure race motor.. running E85 so I rationalize I won't have knock issue,

BUT... on the other had I DO want all that timing I can get.. which is a lot... especially when you have 300 gallon of 190 Proof to Blend UP!?!?

This was the motivation to Computerize.. all the power and no broken parts???? [ well.... fewer it is hoped?].

TJM
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

Yves wrote:I have the knocksense unit but I had to turn the sensitivity down a lot or it would indicate knock almost continously. I read a lot of articles saying it's easier to detect knock by hooking it up to a headset.
Merci Beaucoup!!!

Practical to check onset limits on the Dyno, maybe?

The car runs 3,000 - 6,000 rpm... A LOT. It's a Road Racing platform...

TJM
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

TJM wrote:
Yves wrote:I have the knocksense unit but I had to turn the sensitivity down a lot or it would indicate knock almost continously. I read a lot of articles saying it's easier to detect knock by hooking it up to a headset.
Merci Beaucoup!!!

Practical to check onset limits on the Dyno, maybe?

The car runs 3,000 - 6,000 rpm... A LOT. It's a Road Racing platform...

TJM
On YouTube are several movies with the knock sensor recorded sound of detonation. Very interesting.

If this is for a dyno maybe you could invest in a pressure transducers system like the TFX unit. Lost of $ though.
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

On YouTube are several movies with the knock sensor recorded sound of detonation. Very interesting.

If this is for a dyno maybe you could invest in a pressure transducers system like the TFX unit. Lost of $ though.[/quote]

Need to Google that!

No, I meant that we could look for the thresholds of Knock, when fine tuning on the DYNO.

The solution is a roller cam.. the most economical solution, other than living out there on the Edge of burning holes in pistons??

Next motor/rebuild for sure, though.

Bonsoir!

TJM