anyone running an itb setup with maf

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

anyone running an itb setup with maf

Post by Yves »

I have a maf sensor coming in. Intend to use them on my itb engine. Engine has a large cam.

Did someone already do this ? Side-effects ? Any pointers ?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: anyone running an itb setup with maf

Post by whittlebeast »

It should not be a problem. Once you get up and running with the MAF installed, data log the MAF only as a new piece of information. Have the motor running on SD at this point. Once you have it logged, create a field in MLV called MAPxRPM and define it as [MAP]*[RPM]/100

At this point you can do a scatter plot of MAF vs MAPxRPM. If this comes up nearly a straight line, your MAF is working fine and you are good to go on MAF tuning.

A typical trace will look very similar to this. I will look for a scatter plot to show this.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/MAP ... %20MAF.png

Andy
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I didn't think of the scatterplots. Good idea.

I have a tinyiox coming my way equiped with 4 map sensors. I was planning on mounting the maf in the intake tubing and measuring the vacuum drop with a vacuum cleaner attached to the other side to get a correct maf transfer curve. Not sure if it will work.

What with possible intake reversion ? I run a pretty large cam.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Yves wrote:I didn't think of the scatterplots. Good idea.

I have a tinyiox coming my way equiped with 4 map sensors. I was planning on mounting the maf in the intake tubing and measuring the vacuum drop with a vacuum cleaner attached to the other side to get a correct maf transfer curve. Not sure if it will work.

What with possible intake reversion ? I run a pretty large cam.
My MAPxRPM vs MAF will find those issues in a very short time. This is a big part of why we invented the blended tuning.

Andy
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I have my mafs (one for each bank) coming in the next couple of days. The wiring is ready, so I just need to hook it up. Can I log it's output in ms 2 without actually running the engine on the maf and have the engine still run on map ?

Also a next question : can I log a crank sensor with the circuitry set up for an msd 8366 distributor (gm hei 8 equivalent)

Thanks
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

I have a maf plumbed in to my setup and all the maf gauges work in TS without having the management running on maf so yes it's all good for testing (that's how I know mine is too small and am pushing much more than 200hp)
if you look at the second input menu in TS you will see you can gauge and log any additional input directly and log it.along with all the maf gauges. ya may have to be registered for both TS and MLV to see them if your not already, well worth registering if your not.

now you mentioned running two mafs,,,,,,,,,,, that's another issue someone else will have to chime in on
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

iirc the bosch hfm 5 has a reverse flow area between 0-1v forward flow between 2-5v. dunno of any other maf that has reversion capability in the maf curve.

or run a turbo/intercooler/plenum between the maf and itbs and cam. acts like a Inductor, resistor, capacitor, before the pot to smooth out the pulse reversion. :D
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Someone said the ls1 maf (voltage type) takes reversion into account.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

weeblebiker wrote:iirc the bosch hfm 5 has a reverse flow area between 0-1v forward flow between 2-5v. dunno of any other maf that has reversion capability in the maf curve.
Almost correct, HFM5 is zero flow at 1V, positive flow above and reverse flow below that point. Reversion is not that much of a problem, on a non-directive MAF it would just cause a (slightly) rich condition. What the new MS3 MAF code really solved was the distribution of flow vs. time, by integrating over the full cycle the MAF is no longer sensitive to sample timing.
weeblebiker wrote:or run a turbo/intercooler/plenum between the maf and itbs and cam. acts like a Inductor, resistor, capacitor, before the pot to smooth out the pulse reversion. :D
Yup, that would work... :mrgreen:
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

A question : I run ms2 and the 2 inputs are already taken (first maf and second O2).

I read the manual and the JS7 seems to still be an open digital input. However, how can I log it ? I don't see an option for that in TS.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

JS7 is the board contact, TS gauges are by cpu pin out designation.

where did you ready you can run two mafs?
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I'm not running them both. I'm using one for fueling and the other for logging purposes since the code of ms doesn't allow using them both.