Idle remains the same

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Idle remains the same

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Been trying to get the idle to be more consistent, and closer to my target rpm curve as it can vary between 550 and 900rpm. I've been reading as much as I can on the Closed Loop settings so yesterday I had a bit of a play with the settings as described in the MS3XV357 Hardware pdf.

Long story short, I tried changing the PID's in the closed loop control.
I 5->50->110->100 Idle did not change
P 10->20->5. Idle did not change
D Left at 0
With these settings car returned to idle quickly and without fuss. Sudden clutch engagement or turning accessories on didn't cause an issue

I rechecked the IAC and confirmed 0 is closed, 150 is fully open and 4 is the smallest movement the valve responds to.

End result was the idle still stays about 150rpm above where I have the target curve set for idle.

What am I missing?
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Idle remains the same

Post by jamies »

try these settings, its what i used on a 1uz, you may need to alter your min steps though, depending where you have your throttle stop screw set.

your settings may be preventing it from getting into closed loop idle due to your max decel load, set it to 20-21, ad its idling below the current setting.
1uzidle.jpg
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Interesting to look at your settings. Your min valve step is 56 and you have the close delay set for never closing.

The throttle idle screw is all the way in and the CLI does kick in as indicated by the tell tale. During my reading of the PID settings, it suggested zeroing all values the adjusting I first until the revs started oscillating then do the same for D. No matter what values I put in, the idle remained the same, so my figures are best guess. Even the Closed Loop Idle PID gains slide bar made no difference.

It feels as if it just wants to idle higher than I do.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
pit_celica
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pit_celica »

Your sensitivity slider is nearly all the way down. Try to increase it up until there are some oscillation, then revert back a bit.

Sam
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Again, tried the slider at both ends and at various places in between but there was no obvious change as I would expect. I'm just wondering if I have a setting somewhere that's too high/low that I'm not seeing that is causing me not to get any changes as expected.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

did you try my settings?
did you increase decel load and rpmdot threshold?
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Finally had time to have another play. Using the settings provided by jamies, and with a bit of additional tuning, the motor was happy to idle between 650-700rpm which was the target. The only rider on this was that i only did the adjustments after the WUE had been completed and I did not get to drive the car. Blipping the throttle had the revs returns to the desired level which is a positive sign but the PID settings and sensitivity slider are quite different.

Will try again on weekend to drive the car and see how that goes.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

The settings for the Closed Loop Idle have been adjusted and played with and I'm happy to say the idle is where it should be and the idle settling is repeatable after many trial stops. Below if my final settings.
Screen shot 2015-07-18 at 4.49.54 PM.png
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x