cruising goes rich to lean

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

cruising goes rich to lean

Post by TTryan »

microsquirt setup, 6.0 ls. 24x. boosted, twin 76s.

I had 52lb injectors in the car before, ran out of injector, had afr dialed in across the board. I switched to siemen deka 80lb injectors. dead time set to .9 and batt correction set to .2. when driving the car under normal light throttle. afr is good, and suddenly goes extremely lean, when you move the pedal it gets out of it. I never had this issue with the old injectors. I tried dead times from .7, to 1.4. to see if it would stop doing this. this does not go away. as you can see in the log, I have more VE where its going lean, and should have plenty, but doesn't. I left it on auto tune and attempted that route, no dice, it would make the graph extremely spikey, and when transitioning off and on throttle, it would go extremely rich, and vice versa. I had ACCELL enrichment off. same issue. what am I missing here?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: cruising goes rich to lean

Post by Matt Cramer »

The data log was not attached.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

I see you have incorporate afr disabled, despite that, can you try reducing that lump in your target afr table around the cruise area?
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TTryan »

I'll post it when I get to work. I don't believe the table is causing this. Iv tried adjusting them from high to low ve.
TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TTryan »

here is a log
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

TTryan wrote:I'll post it when I get to work. I don't believe the table is causing this. Iv tried adjusting them from high to low ve.
Not the VE table, I'm talking about the target AFR table. You have a lean plateau in the cruise area. Remove the plateau.
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TTryan »

should that matter if I have ego correction, and targeting off?

I flattened it out. ill give it a shot. anything else? did you take a look at the log? the issue is out of those cells also.
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

The reason I am flagging the ego correction is because I had exactly the same problem, and it sprang to mind when I looked at your msl last night.

I had ego correction disabled while I tweaked the target AFR table, and it massively affected how the car ran so I am curious if this may also be your problem. I can't look at the log till later today.

What I also noticed in my case was that the EGO correction in the data log did not seem to log that anything was going on.

Arran
TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TTryan »

I'm at the track running I now. Changed the age table before I headed out here. Same situation as before :/
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

I can't see the problem, the log attached has two events of the car idling around 850 to 900 RPM, with the throttle closed, and then you are touching the throttle to about 4 or 5% TPS. You are not cruising as you mentioned was the problem in your OP, so there is no data on the engine just "going lean".

In that log, when are just touching the throttle, the engine goes lean. If you scroll along the log the throttle position AE is never activating.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes I also found that log confusing given the problem described. Kept asking myself 'where is the cruising?"
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

Agree that the log does not show cruising.

The other thing I notice is that you have advance increasing from 26deg/44kpa/1000rpm/46VE to 36deg/44kpa/1600rpm/51VE. This is a large increase in advance (26->36) and rpm (1000->1600) with little increase in VE (46->51) - I would expect AFR to go lean with these VE values.

You should look at moderating the increase of advance over more buckets or changing your RPM column values (i.e. adding a split between 1000 to 1800 for ignition table and VE table). This area needs to handle transitioning from idle to running and the transition needs a fair bit of resolution to have AFR track well. Needing to retune in this area is a given after this (use Analyze Live with a custom filter that only accepts stable input conditions).
TTryan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TTryan »

The car cruises with 6 % throttle. I have an areomotive regulator on it. With manifold vacuum hooked to it. Its pulling fuel pressure when in vacuum. I need to put this reference on the other side of the throttle blade. Sadly the flex plate bolts just broke for some odd reason. Ill get back to you after I get this addressed. Maybe it's part of the problem :/

I can be at a steady rpm while crusing. Change all the cells to one specific value, not varying rpm or throttle input. And it will go from rich to lean. Lean to where it slows down a bit. Then suddenly comes back and it's fine. It will do it fast back and forth.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It is supposed to pull fuel pressure when there is manifold vacuum. Unless you have a TBI with injectors above the throttle plates. I have recently read on here about fake Aeromotive regulators that are very poorly made.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke