Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Post by billr »

Swapping the polarity of the VR may be what you need to do, but with the shield being used for signal return that may not be possible, as that will have the "shield" floating and just being a greater antenna to pick up noise. What does the actual VR sensor look like, any possibility of cutting off that existing cable and attaching a proper shielded twisted-pair to the sensor?

Try again for a tooth log, I also wasn't able to open that most recent CSV.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TwinTurboDeLorean »

Currently, I have found an issue that needs attention before all others. The 5 ground wires from MS are too close to other wires and are causing interference, amplified by the pots turned full CCW.
I will move and isolate these and report back on the changes to the interference I have been having. Thank you for the help.
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That makes no sense to me. Ground wires/planes never cause noise, they shield other stuff from it.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:That makes no sense to me. Ground wires/planes never cause noise, they shield other stuff from it.
When I move those 5 ms2 grounds near spark olu wires, the gauge dashboard in tunerstudio starts fluxuating and then I hear spark being thrown. When I move those grounds near the fuel injector wiring, the injectors start pulsing....
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

TwinTurboDeLorean wrote: When I move those 5 ms2 grounds near spark olu wires, the gauge dashboard in tunerstudio starts fluxuating and then I hear spark being thrown. When I move those grounds near the fuel injector wiring, the injectors start pulsing....
this does not sound normal may be an idea to go through the wiring make sure its all where it should be
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Then they probably aren't proper grounds. What pins on the MS DB37 are they connected to? Where do they terminate on the other end? What is a "spark olu wire"?

What size (wire gauge) are those "grounds"?
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:Then they probably aren't proper grounds. What pins on the MS DB37 are they connected to? Where do they terminate on the other end? What is a "spark olu wire"?

What size (wire gauge) are those "grounds"?
Pins 15 thru 19. The wiring harness came from diyautotune, guessing 16-18 gauge wires.
I had them connected to aluminum intake manifold, moving them to aluminum cylinder head. Spark plug wire, autocorrect made it say, olu..
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you have a hefty wire from the same point on the head to the battery negative term? It shouldn't be necessary, but sure can't hurt any.

I still gotta wonder: what is an "olu"? Is that just gibberish generated by the auto"correct" program, or is it a real word?
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I moved the ground wires from ms2 to the bottom of the back of the driver side cylinder head. No more interference...
see below screenshot of the dashboard while cranking. Green lights! RPMs are being seen....
The engine trys to start with combustion, but will not go any farther yet. See attached engine and tooth logs. Anything that you notice on how I can get closer to it starting up?
Image :msq:
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Tooth log attached
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is this with the pots set ccw? a normal data log from the data logging menu 'start logging' may shed some light. when cranking are you getting a constant rpm reading or is it dropping to zero?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm seeing nothing in those last to CSVs. The "engine" one is only the MLV start screen, the other is 16 pages with just a few blue bars at the beginning of each page. Is this just me, or do they not open properly for you too?
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:is this with the pots set ccw? a normal data log from the data logging menu 'start logging' may shed some light. when cranking are you getting a constant rpm reading or is it dropping to zero?
this is with the pots set full ccw. When cranking I am getting a constant rpm reading under 300 rpms.
I will try to data log from the data logging menu and post it here tonight.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:I'm seeing nothing in those last to CSVs. The "engine" one is only the MLV start screen, the other is 16 pages with just a few blue bars at the beginning of each page. Is this just me, or do they not open properly for you too?
Not sure why it's not working. I select the type of log i want to share, then select the save option, name it and select the location to save to. Click start logging and then stop when finished. Is there something in addition I am supposed to be doing?
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the engine logger in 'diagnostic and high speed loggers' section is different to taking a normal datalog from the 'data logging' menu, its the normal type you want to do
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

See attached log. Please let me know if incorrect or if you dont see anything..it sounds like it is trying to start, has combustion, doesnt appear to be losing any signal...
I appreciate any help that can be offered.
ImageImage[/url]
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Just a thought, have you looked at the spark plugs since you have rpm?

They could be gas fouled after all the failed starting attempts.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

turbo conversion wrote:Just a thought, have you looked at the spark plugs since you have rpm?

They could be gas fouled after all the failed starting attempts.

David
Do you see any issues with my last log posted that would prevent starting? To remove plugs the fuel rails need pulled. I can do this as long as I dont fuel foul the new plugs. I am looking for confirmation of settings and log results....I appreciate the help.
ImageImage[/url]
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I had to go back to the first post to find a msq for this set up.
I am struggling to work out how a basic trigger, oddfire engine is going to run with a trigger angle of 0.40 degrees.
Such a low trigger angle would have it operating in "next cylinder mode" so the trigger point for each signal is used to time the next ignition firing. How's that going to work with the uneven tower spacings of an oddfire engine???
Is it a typo and the setting is meant to be 40 degrees? As always rotor phasing also has to be checked with distributor set up.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Current MSQ attached....
ImageImage[/url]