New to MS3, trying to setup semi-sequential injection

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

NHRAONE
Helpful MS/Extra'er

New to MS3, trying to setup semi-sequential injection

Post by NHRAONE »

Hello, I'm a new user of megasquirt.
I have the EFI Source Gold Box. I did not know that you can't run sequential injection with out a crank and cam sensor's till the other day when I spoke with Mike at EFI Source. I have read that you can wire up the injectors like your going to run sequential, but you have to set semi-sequential mode instead.

Sorry just a little info on my car, then hopefully someone can chime in with some answers.
1990 Form Mustang, 308 c.i. with twin turbos, T56- 6 speed, 3.55 gears, Innovate LM-2 wideband.

I have searched around for a few days trying to get more info on the correct settings to set to get the semi-sequential mode correct.

I can get the car to start and idle at 1000 RPM. I can crack the throttle, and it revs well. But after it warms up, I start dumping raw unburned fuel. I'm pegging the wideband at 7.1 AFR, I know I should set it to lambda.

I have backed off the VE table, and set the ASE about 50% of the base tune for an LS engine that was sent with the gold box. I had reduced the VE when I started knowing that the LS is a 3 bar fuel pressure setup vs the Ford 2-bar pressure.

I jsut can't get control of the injectors at all. I'm looking for the correct settings to run semi-sequential without a crank sensor, if its possible or not?
Attachments
MS3 injector settings 02-08-18.png
MS3 injector settings 02-08-18.png (33.52 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Tunerstudio version 02-08-18.png
Tunerstudio version 02-08-18.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 487 times
2018-02-09_19.18.25.msq
(262.33 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
1990 Mustang LX coupe. 308ci A4 block, TFS heads, Twin Turbo Borg Warner s300 60/68, T56 w/ 3.55 gears, EFI Source Gold box. After 25 years, "Its still a work in progress".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New to MS3, trying to setup semi-sequential injection

Post by billr »

Have you flowed the injectors for rate/DT with your fuel system and drivers? The VE values seem so far off from reality that I think the "req_fuel" value must be incorrect.

"Twin turbo" makes me think this is not an install constrained by a tight budget. Spend the nominal amount ($200?) to get a real missing-tooth crank wheel and wasted-spark; that will give you a better spark and far more accuracy on spark timing. Then, a fairly simple mod to the dizzy can give you full-sequential injection.

Post the MSL, too.
NHRAONE
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NHRAONE »

Yes, I have been doing more research while the moderator has been approving my first post. I have come the the realization that I will need to put a 36-1 crank wheel on the damper. I will be placing my order to DIYAutotune today. I know that the 2 wire sensor for the crank will be wired to the crank+ and crank-, but I'm not sure how the Ford TFI module and single coil need to be then changed to wire to the cam+ and cam-.
1990 Mustang LX coupe. 308ci A4 block, TFS heads, Twin Turbo Borg Warner s300 60/68, T56 w/ 3.55 gears, EFI Source Gold box. After 25 years, "Its still a work in progress".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I would abandon the TFI module. Whether you go for wasted-spark or stick with single-coil, drive the coil(s) from the MS via either smart-coils or BIP373 drivers (~$10 ea. from DIY). I'm not familiar with either the Gold Box or Ford dizzy, so am going to wait and hope somebody else jumps in here. I feel pretty confident, though, that the Ford dizzy can be easily modified to provide a CMP signal.
NHRAONE
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NHRAONE »

Ok, I have ordered a 36-1 wheel that fits the Ford damper and factory pulley. I am also running a MSD 6AL 2. I would like to get rid of the TFI module, but I'm not sure how to wire the VR sensor at the crank. Then there is I guess using the hall effect sensor in the factory dizzy as a cam sensor. Then adding the MSD box on top of all that. Any direction for wiring this all up would really help.
90stang5speed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 90stang5speed »

Have any luck getting your set up running? I'm going to be running a similar combo and looking for info as well. Mine is a 410 CID sbf twin turbo. I plan on initially setting it up by the manual with the tfi distributor but, would like to upgrade to coil near plug in the future. Saw your post was a few months old and was hoping to pick your brain a little since it's a similar set up
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Late to the ball, here; sorry if this has been sorted, but WHY are you running 4 squirts with per-cylinder injectors?
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems