MS3X Running lean need advice Ford 302

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X Running lean need advice Ford 302

Post by craigibc »

MSEXTRA,

I got the car idling pretty good and went though the basic tune with TunerStudio. When I put any pedal into it is seems to be running pretty lean. Lean to the point where it is trying to stall. I think I have the fuel regulator around 60 right now. Can you check out my tune and see if I am doing something wrong in the tune that is causing this problem. I can run the car and upload a data log as well.

Otherwise it may be a fuel system issue.

Thank for your advice!

Craig
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X Running lean need advice Ford 302

Post by Matt Cramer »

The tune does not exist in a vacuum - if you could post a data log, that would give a better idea of how the tune interacts with the engine.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

Matt,

Attached is a data log from this morning. I know that I have issues with my idle control not working correctly and that is being fixed later today. The cars seems to lean out. Please give me your insight!

Craig
Last edited by craigibc on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

What makes you think it's running lean? The highest lambda I see in that log is 0.912 which represents an AFR of about 13.4, and it's usually sitting around the 11.5-12.5 area which is pretty rich for low load. Do you have a wideband EGO sensor and is it calibrated properly?

Other than that I'd say you just need to do some tuning. Your VE table is a mess in the idle area - the variation in the values in the cells between 45 and 65% load and 500-1100 RPM is huge.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.