idles but does not like throttle

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sirdan
MS/Extra Newbie

idles but does not like throttle

Post by sirdan »

I finally got my car to idle :yeah!: . It is a bit erratic. If i hit the gas anything more than maybe 5% it dies. anything held under 5% and it idles up and down. If i tap the gas a bunch of times in sequence i can get it to rev up.

This is on a 22re engine and i am working off of a 22rte(turbo) file. I changed injector size as the non turbo has smaller injectors, and had to change the ignition settings to
Ignition input: rising edge

spark output: going low (normal)

Here is a link to my current tunerstudio file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21832698/2012-0 ... _idles.msq

Is there anything that is screwed up in my tuner studio file? what should i try doing next?

I am a total noob to megasquirt so take it easy on me!
Joe Clark
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: idles but does not like throttle

Post by Joe Clark »

do yo have an afr sensor fitted?

I suspect you need a bit more fuel to even the idle out, and more added in the acceleration settings.
sirdan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sirdan »

here is a working link to my tune, I didn't realize the above link did not work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21832698/celica_idles_tune.zip

Since this tune I have changed squirts per cycle to 1 and required fuel to 30. idle is hit or miss sometimes its stable other times it surges. I can rev the engine now but it bogs before it revs.
16vboost
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 16vboost »

Are you sure your req_fuel is right? It seems high to me. You should double check that first.

Then I'd worry about your VE values in your table. They seem really low. I bet you're idling super lean. What's your AFR at idle?

-Alex
sirdan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sirdan »

Ill try setting the req fuel back where the calculator thinks it should be an mess with the maps. with the req fuel at 20 where the calc wants it to be, it was really lean. Thanks for the suggestions.
16vboost
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 16vboost »

Yeah increasing req fuel would make everything more rich but I would leave it at the calculated value and get the aft right by increasing ve values in the table. To start, I would highlight a group of cells around where the idle usually is and set them all to a value using "=" then typing the value. This will let you quickly adjust the mixture close enough to where it maintains a smooth idle. The you can edit individual cells.

- Alex
sirdan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sirdan »

Okay sounds good I will give that a try tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out, thank you!
sirdan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sirdan »

I started messing with the VE tables like you said. Within 20 minutes i had a drive-able tune. still needs more work but the laptop battery died.

can i do any datalogging tuning with a narrowband sensor? or would i be wasting my time.

Thanks a bunch!