Ign signal, tps, nightmare. Base map would be great!

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ign signal, tps, nightmare. Base map would be great!

Post by black 89turbo »

MS3.57
Vg30et
stock ignition
450cc injectors, low impedance

Im still trying to get this car running for nearly a year. I am almost ready to give up on this MS buisness. I still cannot get a steady ignition signal, and i am lost as to how to get a tps to read from 0-100. The car will not run log enough to get a log. The only way the car hits is if the MS's are set to say 7+. If there is anyone out there that has a base map for a vg30et that would be amazing. If there is anyone in the NE OHIO area that can help PM me.
white wire log.jpg

This is the POP UP i get in MLG
warninh.jpg
Last edited by black 89turbo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Ign signal, tps, nightmare. Base map would be great!

Post by black 89turbo »

black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

THe TPS Starts at over 100. Ive tried 6 different TPS there no different.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That screen-shot of "tooth time" suggests your primary problem is with your crank/cam triggers, not tuning. Is there an old thread I can refer to about how you have progressed to this point? I don't want to ask a lot of basic questions that have already been covered.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

billr wrote:That screen-shot of "tooth time" suggests your primary problem is with your crank/cam triggers, not tuning. Is there an old thread I can refer to about how you have progressed to this point? I don't want to ask a lot of basic questions that have already been covered.
No Sir there is no thread to refer to. Ask away.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OK, here goes:

1) What is the crank trigger arrangement? Tell me if it is VR or Hall sensor and what kind of trigger-wheel, i.e. 60-2, 36-1, etc.

2) Same info for cam trigger (if used).

3) How are the "tach input" jumpers on the V3.57 mainboard configured (JP1 and J1)?

4) Do you have a Stim board (or some equivalent) for testing?

5) Post your .msq

6) It doesn't matter much as we focus on getting you a good trigger signal, but what engine is it? (I don't recognize "Vg30et")
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

billr wrote:OK, here goes:

1) What is the crank trigger arrangement? Tell me if it is VR or Hall sensor and what kind of trigger-wheel, i.e. 60-2, 36-1, etc.
OPtical, Factory distributor (360 slots on the outer edge of the disk and 6 slots in the center. Reads by LED when the slots pace threw the LED's.) Im using the inner most 6 slots (obviously). Batch fire 135, 246.. similar discs are used in 240sx, 280zx, and i think rb30.. diyautotune just came out with a disc so it can be ran sequential (i think thats the reason, somone correct if thats wrong).

3) How are the "tach input" jumpers on the V3.57 mainboard configured (JP1 and J1)?
I thought it was using JS10, i just checked the file on this laptop it it was turned off. weird. i just transferd everything over to a dedicated car laptop so that might be why.

4) Do you have a Stim board (or some equivalent) for testing?
No never bought a stim board ect.

5) Post your .msq
2012-04-24_17.47.09.msq

6) It doesn't matter much as we focus on getting you a good trigger signal, but what engine is it? (I don't recognize "Vg30et")
The engine is a 1989 Nissan 300zx Turbo. Vg30et is the type of engine they come standerd with. It is a V6. This engine is also found in nissan quests, nissan maximas, some rangers, and a few more vehicles that are very popular.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

There is no emissions, No IAC, no extras. Only a Distributor, TPS, Injectors, internal MS map sensor.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Refer to this thread for pictures of board layout: http://msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... et#p301966
DO NOT use that thread for any ideas. You will be lost.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Well, I have been stewing about this thread for a while, and am reluctant to wade in any deeper. I don't think I have the skills to help out in this situation; however it seems to me that a lot of your problems arise from trying to use the stock dizzy for the trigger. I suggest that if you were to use a simple "missing tooth" crank wheel, like 60-2 or 36-1, then everything might go easier. At least then I might be able to help, as that is what I am familiar with. I think you would also get the potential for 12-20x better timing accuracy, due to the greater number of teeth for determining crank speed/position.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

black 89turbo wrote:THe TPS Starts at over 100. Ive tried 6 different TPS there no different.
The TPS is fine
Once you click accept, it, it will read 0-100%

What you are seeing is the raw ADC counts that range from 0-1023

Looks good
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

billr wrote:Well, I have been stewing about this thread for a while, and am reluctant to wade in any deeper. I don't think I have the skills to help out in this situation; however it seems to me that a lot of your problems arise from trying to use the stock dizzy for the trigger. I suggest that if you were to use a simple "missing tooth" crank wheel, like 60-2 or 36-1, then everything might go easier. At least then I might be able to help, as that is what I am familiar with. I think you would also get the potential for 12-20x better timing accuracy, due to the greater number of teeth for determining crank speed/position.
I appreciate the help you already have offerd. There are many people using this same distributor setup with perfect results. Why i cannot get anyone that knows about this thoroughly to help i have no idea. This is my brothers car and im trying to help him out. I convinced him to buy a MS b/c he does not have alot of funds but i wish i had not. SHould have made him save and buy electromotive.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

The B wire on the CAS, bring it back to a MS ground wire (pins 1, 2 or 7-19) but make sure it is not also grounded to the block or car.
If you are not sure, unplug ECU and check resistance from the B wire to the block. If you have continuity with MS box unplugged, you need to change that.

Some good info here

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... &start=360
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Peter Florance wrote:The B wire on the CAS, bring it back to a MS ground wire (pins 1, 2 or 7-19) but make sure it is not also grounded to the block or car.
If you are not sure, unplug ECU and check resistance from the B wire to the block. If you have continuity with MS box unplugged, you need to change that.

Some good info here

I'm not 100% sure it will help, but it's important to remember that MS and OEM computers may have different grounding requirements.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote:The B wire on the CAS, bring it back to a MS ground wire (pins 1, 2 or 7-19) but make sure it is not also grounded to the block or car.

Some good info here

Thanks Peter, The CAS wire is grounded to PIN 1 i believe. Ill double check first thing in the morning.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote:

Some good info here

I'm not 100% sure it will help, but it's important to remember that MS and OEM computers may have different grounding requirements.

Good read! All my sensors are grounded to the MS. All the other grounds from the MS are going to a grounding block on the firewall, then a wire from the battery also goes into the frounding block. Tomo im going to change it exactly like the picture but before i do im going to check resistance. Is there any way you can look at the MSQ file?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

black 89turbo wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:

Some good info here

Good read! All my sensors are grounded to the MS. All the other grounds from the MS are going to a grounding block on the firewall, then a wire from the battery also goes into the frounding block. Tomo im going to change it exactly like the picture but before i do im going to check resistance. Is there any way you can look at the MSQ file?
Nothing jumps out at me. I'd like a trigger log (cranking) with and without ignition coil connected. I want the actual saved csv logs, not just the screen-shot.
Thanks!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote:Nothing jumps out at me. I'd like a trigger log (cranking) with and without ignition coil connected. I want the actual saved csv logs, not just the screen-shot.
Thanks!
Im going to work on the car today and report back. csv log? fill me in on what csv stands for.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

black 89turbo wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:Nothing jumps out at me. I'd like a trigger log (cranking) with and without ignition coil connected. I want the actual saved csv logs, not just the screen-shot.
Thanks!
Im going to work on the car today and report back. csv log? fill me in on what csv stands for.
In the trigger log, you have the option of saving the file. The file is a csv (comma separated values) that is readable with spreadsheet programs.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

I have all the re-wires routed, Put another ground strap on the engine, and a ground from the - side of the battery to the the wires. Also put a wire from the distributor to the block to the grounding panel. Everything Zeros out on resistance. What i found was the distributor Has way to much clear on it and will not ground itself to the block. Today im going to look over the MSQ, make sure everything looks ok then try it.