Ign signal, tps, nightmare. Base map would be great!

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Ign signal, tps, nightmare. Base map would be great!

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote:
black 89turbo wrote:The car goes lean-rich, idle surge (obviously) from 400-1200. As soon as the map sensor hose is unplugged from the manifold it idles steady with a/f from 12.7-13.3, put the car threw a full heat cycle (finally) keeping the map sensor unplugged. Yes the vaccum port was capped off when i unplugged the map sensor hose.
Increase required fuel until it idles with vacuum hose installed.
What # do you get?
Explain. I dont know what you mean by "what # do you get"
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

black 89turbo wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:
black 89turbo wrote:The car goes lean-rich, idle surge (obviously) from 400-1200. As soon as the map sensor hose is unplugged from the manifold it idles steady with a/f from 12.7-13.3, put the car threw a full heat cycle (finally) keeping the map sensor unplugged. Yes the vaccum port was capped off when i unplugged the map sensor hose.
Increase required fuel until it idles with vacuum hose installed.
What # do you get?
Explain. I dont know what you mean by "what # do you get"
Post the Req Fuel you end up with that allows it to idle with hose connected
sorry was in a hurry...
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Explain. I dont know what you mean by "what # do you get"[/quote]
Post the Req Fuel you end up with that allows it to idle with hose connected
sorry was in a hurry...[/quote]

It dosn't idle at all. Tried from 2.2-15.0 lol, It seems like it likes between 7.4-8. Ill post a video

Edit: Guess not, won't let me upload a video.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Last edited by black 89turbo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

DOuble post
Last edited by black 89turbo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

letitsnow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by letitsnow »

Can you check the map sensor any way? Like an air pressure regulator and gauge, or a vacuum bleeder with gauge?

Does your commanded timing match the actual timing?
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

looking at your msq you need to turn of or back off ego correction its at 80% authority i personally use no more than 5% authority, ego correction is something that needs tuning itself, but that comes after the ve is in good shape. also in the afr table you have an 11 in the middle of idle. ve looks realistic, ignition is locked at 10 degrees. dead time curve looks a little steep, also one thing to check is if battv looks right
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

ashford wrote:looking at your msq you need to turn of or back off ego correction its at 80% authority i personally use no more than 5% authority, ego correction is something that needs tuning itself, but that comes after the ve is in good shape. also in the afr table you have an 11 in the middle of idle. ve looks realistic, ignition is locked at 10 degrees. dead time curve looks a little steep, also one thing to check is if battv looks right
I only see 1-2% gego correction

Is multiply map turned on? It should be
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

also forgot cranking speed is at 800rpm drop it to about 200. that would account for the super rich-lean you have, may need to also upp the ve a bit
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

ashford wrote:also forgot cranking speed is at 800rpm drop it to about 200. that would account for the super rich-lean you have, may need to also upp the ve a bit
Oh yeah it's going in and out of cranking!!!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

ashford wrote:looking at your msq you need to turn of or back off ego correction its at 80% authority i personally use no more than 5% authority, ego correction is something that needs tuning itself, but that comes after the ve is in good shape. also in the afr table you have an 11 in the middle of idle. ve looks realistic, ignition is locked at 10 degrees. dead time curve looks a little steep, also one thing to check is if battv looks right
I thought EGO was off. I seen the 11 but figured it couldnt be causing the surge issue. Everything needs worked out after i can figure the idle surge issue out. My main concern atm is why it goes from run-crank-run-crank. The car Runs around 13.5v volts pretty consistent. I dont know how that matchs the table because i havnt had a chance to take a look.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote: I only see 1-2% gego correction

Is multiply map turned on? It should be

YES
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

ashford wrote:also forgot cranking speed is at 800rpm drop it to about 200. that would account for the super rich-lean you have, may need to also upp the ve a bit
Im going to change that. Will report back.
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Peter Florance wrote:Oh yeah it's going in and out of cranking!!!
Yes, big issue!
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Setting the "cranking speed" to 200rpm will not let it start. After setting the speed to 200 i decided to fiddle with it a little bit. I proceeded to set the speed to 1000rpm-1500rpm. What is going on>>>> when the car reaches the set RPM the computer goes back to cranking mode and starts over again. Say It was set at 800. When the car starts it revs past 800, the computer goes back to Cranking mode after the 800rpm. The car is well over its cranking speed (turned by the starter(230ishrpm) it starts right back up. If i set it to 500rpm, as soon as it hits 500 it goes into cranking mode. I set it at 235rpm, the car just back fires as its trying to run but the computer shuts it down. :?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What is your latest .msq? The last one I see is "tune4" from about a week ago. Set all "priming pulse" cells to zero, priming will only confuse things (and flood the engine) while you work on getting it to start reliably and normally. If it cranks at 230 rpm, then you need to set the "cranking speed" to something higher than that (200 won't work!) and less than any anticipated idle speed; 300-400 rpm will work fine. Then leave the "cranking speed" there. If it won't fire, at least briefly, like that then you need to check ignition (sounds like it is OK), and "required fuel" (that also seems about right), and "cranking pulse-width" (that seems pretty high), and injector dead-time (that also seems reasonable), and the injector flow-rate that was used to calculate the "required fuel". Set the priming pulse to zero and set the cranking pulse lower, start out with 100% and raise it by 25% at each try until it will fire briefly or until it is up to 250% (assuming your ambient is 60-80F now). If it won't fire by then, it's time to flow the injectors at the fuel pressure you are using and with the drivers you are using, to verify they are really 450 cc/min. Once you can get it to crank and fire with normal cranking fuel and ignition conditions, then you move on to all else. Cranking is the simplest fueling condition, let's get that rock-solid first.

James, did I miss anything; is MAT a factor in the cranking pulse that needs to be considered?
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by black 89turbo »

Latest MSQ Is "tune4" you are correct. I can set The cranking speed to 3oo-400 but as soon as it starts up( starts up very easy, very fast) and attempts to rev to idle(900ish) it will go back to cranking mode. Once the car revs past the set cranking speed it goes back into cranking mode. The Injectors ARE 450CC and using the OEM resistor boxes they come with from the factory. The only way they cannot be said injectors is if the factory (there OEM injectors) put the worng part number, color, caps on injector body. I would think a factory car would probably act a little odd to that but stranger things have happend. The injectors have been cleaned, check spray patterns ect. Tomo i will "turn off" the priming pulse, Set the cranking speed to 350, Set cranking pulse to 100% and start going up with it.

Thanks for your time.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

let me get some clarification. it goes into cranking mode when rpm is greater than cranking speed(in ms)? if that is the case you may have corrupt firmware. try reflashing the firmware and start again.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'd like to see a log of that, it doesn't make sense to me.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".