Cold start issues (as well)

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Cold start issues (as well)

Post by hamish_18 »

Well I went out this morning, and turned off AE and ego correction. Everything else should be at their defaults. I tried to start the rig up, and it actually started up the first time. So that is a partial success. We will see if it continues to start on first attempt.

The more pressing issue though, of the huge hesitation just off idle. Having AE off, really amplified this issue. I could barely get the truck out of the driveway. I killed it a couple times I think in the log alone, and then when I got off the freeway at the light I killed it again. I also ran VEAL on the way to work this morning. Even when warm I am having the hesitation when trying to take off.

Sooo I copied the logs and the tune off my laptop this morning, but apparently I grabbed an older tune. I will have to get it on lunch or after work tonight. but here is the datalog.
hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hamish_18 »

oh shoot. I forgot to turn off ASE. I bet that is why my afr's are low 7's on cranking huh. Hmm now taking a look at my ASE Percentage, do I have that table backwards? Do I want more as the engine coolant warms up? or do I want less. I think I may need to change that table around to where there is no ASE when the engine is cold? or at least a lot less than there is now?

Still doesn't help for the hesitation but, maybe that is why the engine is starting hard? I am still dumping a crap load of fuel in there just after start?

*EDIT Or my Cranking Pulse is way to high, and that is causing the Rich AFR's during Cranking :) and I think ASE is not helping either....
Last edited by hamish_18 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hamish_18 »

pit_celica wrote:If you need to press throttle to make the engine start, it means that the engine wants more air, simply.

Assuming you have a working idle valve, try to increase the Crank Duty% in the Idle control tab at the cold temp you are having problem.

For the dead spot in the warmup sequence, we will need a datalog to help further. You can try to host the log file on a website like fileupload.com.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Sorry I never replied to your suggestions. At the temps I am having the problems at, my Crank Duty% is at 100% already.

-Chris