Recommended Tuner in Houston, TX?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Recommended Tuner in Houston, TX?

Post by spittybug »

Can anyone steer me towards an experienced shop with a dyno that knows what they are doing with Megasquirt in the Houston area?

My tune is pretty good as far as I can tell and I'm perfectly comfortable driving it. I'd like to "check it" and tweak it based on some solid metrics however.

Thanks.
'81 Delorean DMC-12 V6, 90* oddfire, 2.85 L, MS2e 3.4.0, TSv3.0.28

1.21 Gigawatts of raw EFI and spark controlled power! :yeah!:
howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Recommended Tuner in Houston, TX?

Post by howelll »

I'm in Houston also looking for a pro to look over my tune. Which megasquirt are you running on what motor? It would be cool see other megasquirt users in town. :cool:
spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spittybug »

I'm running gslender's most recent code mod of MS2e on my 2.89l V6 oddfire 90* PRV motor in my Delorean. I have the 3.0 box, running full fuel and spark.

I'm in the NW, near Willowbrook mall. How about you?

howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

I'm over in spring near 1960 and aldine westfield. Is your megasquirt controlling the flux capacitor? :lol: sounds like a cool project
spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spittybug »

My buddy Nic and his dad Al live over there. They are the ones that helped me with the aluminum work of the new manifold. Al's got an old Chevelle that's got MS as well. What are you driving?

howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

My car is a 86 bmw 3 series(e30) with a 96 2.8 inline six dohc(m52), holset turbo. Megasquirt 3 seq fuel/spark.
howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

bump
spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spittybug »

Doesn't look like we're getting much help. The guy at the inspection place told me there is a new shop with a dyno on Windfern, right near where it intersects 1960. He said they do dyno days where you can do 2 pulls for $35. He didn't know how much they charged at other times. I'm looking for someone with MS experience so the the info from the dyno can be translated into settings changes in my tables.

Separately, I'm starting down the path of supercharging the Delorean. I got myself a G-Lader G60 unit and am working on squeezing it in. May take a while, especially to figure out where to put an intercooler, but it should be pretty cool when done. Then it will really benefit from some dyno testing.

Brian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian »

I met a guy at the nifty fiftees car show who has a cleavor in a late 60 Mustang. He fabbed a 2 4bbl intake with megasquirt. Super clean job. Anyway, he said there is a guy on our side of town that helped him out. I gave him my email, but didn't hear from him. Check it out when it starts up again in the spring. I'm in Lakewood Forest, Grant and Louetta, by the way. So far that makes 4 cars with megasquirt in Houston.
65 Cobra replica, 427W, MS2
71 Vette, 383 with shitty chinese 8 stack and no dizzy
howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

spittybug wrote:Doesn't look like we're getting much help. The guy at the inspection place told me there is a new shop with a dyno on Windfern, right near where it intersects 1960. He said they do dyno days where you can do 2 pulls for $35. He didn't know how much they charged at other times. I'm looking for someone with MS experience so the the info from the dyno can be translated into settings changes in my tables.

Separately, I'm starting down the path of supercharging the Delorean. I got myself a G-Lader G60 unit and am working on squeezing it in. May take a while, especially to figure out where to put an intercooler, but it should be pretty cool when done. Then it will really benefit from some dyno testing.
I dont think you can do much with just two pulls, you need to find a dyno by the hour or day. I have a buddy that has a shop in willowbrook with a mustang dyno but as far help with tuning he is only familiar with higher dollar stand-alones he could sell you. He has the fundamentals down but one time i showed him tunerstudio and it wasnt what he was used to looking at so he started degrading it. Another shop in spring called fwd performance seemed more familiar with megasquirts and i think would be our best bet, they just seem a little high $$ on the dyno time. If the G60 unit doesnt work out for you i have a eaton m90 from a t-bird i could sell you, I also have a few left over aluminum pipe and a intercooler. If you are intersted just text me 817-706-2026, im not on here to often.
howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

Brian wrote:I met a guy at the nifty fiftees car show who has a cleavor in a late 60 Mustang. He fabbed a 2 4bbl intake with megasquirt. Super clean job. Anyway, he said there is a guy on our side of town that helped him out. I gave him my email, but didn't hear from him. Check it out when it starts up again in the spring. I'm in Lakewood Forest, Grant and Louetta, by the way. So far that makes 4 cars with megasquirt in Houston.
You have a amazing cobra, so jealous. Is that a aircraft cannon plug you used for the harness?
Brian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian »

The plug came from here. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 106A28-21S

The plug and socket was over $100, but I wanted it.

Don't be too green. That's a sweat Mustang you have there. I have the exhaust pipe detail you did forever burned into my memory...looking for somewhere I can use it.

I have another big project for me and my boy. We're repowering a classic plastic Kelmark GT with a mid engine 3L duratec. Megasquirt of course and some form of forced induction. I bought a M90 from a Pontiac, but space constraints may force my hand to a turbo over the MTX-75 5 speed.

Thanks for the heads up on tuners. I had to rework my trigger, and still need to finesse the dizzy a little. I need a wider wiper on the rotor. It misses and cuts out if the spark curve gets too far off of the centrifugal curve of the dizzy. Then I can get back to the tune. As it is, most people who ride in it say it runs better than their carbed motor.
howelll
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by howelll »

Brian wrote:The plug came from here. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 106A28-21S

The plug and socket was over $100, but I wanted it.

Don't be too green. That's a sweat Mustang you have there. I have the exhaust pipe detail you did forever burned into my memory...looking for somewhere I can use it. .
Wrong guy, I am not the one with the mustang I just saw your car in your previous post. That plug and socket looks just like the one's i work with on aircraft at a fraction of the cost. Being mil-spec i assume it's the same just with out the FAA blessing that drives up the cost.
Brian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian »

When I saw your post, I thought I remembered the guy's name having a Howell somewhere in it.

but still, Thanks for the complement.

Yea, it's likely the same connector they provide to the aircraft industry, minus the license. My door supplier does the same. I can buy a non rated door, 14 minute fire label and a 3 hr fire labeled door, each with a progressively more expensive price tag. The manufacture has event told me it's the same door. You're paying for the UL license. And if you mess up and don't get a fire rated door when you need one, they'll come out, look at it and stick the sticker on it if needed... for a price.
spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spittybug »

Sorry guys, haven't checked the forum in a while.... Brian, you are just down the road. I'm on Lakewood crossing, just a block in off Jones. Yes, having the dyno is only half the battle. Need to have someone to help interpret and make the improvements. I'm very comfortable with playing with the VE and advance bins, but I don't have the experience to be able to look at a dyno output and translate that into actionable changes to those bins........

The supercharger project goes slowly. I've completed stage 1; relocating all of the cooling system hoses and overflow bottle to the driver side to make space on the passenger side. The hard part is now figuring the correct mounting setup for the SC. Then comes pulleys and belts. Lastly, oil line and air piping. My spark advance is all MS, so I can start by knocking all the advance values down a bunch and then slowly increase them without getting Knock or Ping. I have a good handle on the vacuum advance component within my curve (the component that must be modified for the charge density) and can back it out as a starting point.

While having different cars doesn't lend itself to sharing data tables, if it makes sense to get together sometime to compare notes, I'm game. I have a lift in my garage (not to mention a three tap refrigerator with home brew) and would be willing to host the first meet. I've pretty much given up on the Coffee and Cars at Vintage park since it has become such a zoo with all the late model ricers and the dealerships showing off all their high $$ stuff. Even though I'm an '81 I'm still welcome at Nifty Fiftees because of the "audience appeal" of being a Delorean. I'll probably just stick to that show this year.

Owen.

Brian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian »

Home brew is another old hobby of mine I've been threatening to get back into for 15 years. I may have to invite myself over.

The last month or so around here have been fully booked with residing, replastering the pool, landscaping and a total master bath gut... oh, and foundation.

I also have the next project blocking the Cobra in the garage. I have a 97 Taurus doner for a 78 Kelmark that will get a turbo and 5 speed for the Duratec DOHC 3L v6.
It's too cold for cars and coffee today anyway.

I don't check this forum too often either, but we all need to meet up some time in the not too distant future.

Brian
uhcoog1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uhcoog1 »

I'm also in need of a steady state dyno in houston and someone willing to work with tunerstudio.

I'm in NW Houston / Cypress, and just finished wiring my 5.7 hilborn hemi with MS3x in my Duster. Trying to assemble a base tune right now...

I'd love to hook up with some MS guys - probably learn a few things to say the least! :RTFM:
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I've been running megasquirt for well over six years now on both NA and turbocharged motors, helped a lot of guys tune and have tuned on a dyno although I don't have one. I'm in Clear Lake so on the opposite side of town from most of you. I have built and or modified over 30 megasquirts so far and am finishing a build for a guy right now so I've got some soldering experience and experience getting all the features in the firmware working. PM me for some contact information if you're interested.

Scott
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I'm in clear lake as well, my stuff is water based not on the road though, it would still be cool to get the Houston guys together for a meet up.

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
Tired2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tired2 »

I'm up in Austin, I'd be willing to make a trip for a meetup and get a few houston friends to join.

My first MS car is only 80% complete though... 97 eclipse 2.0, turbo rebuild currently underway.